Tweaking via the settings file

kranor

Tweaking via the settings file

Postby kranor » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:09 am

Hi Alex
Having a stroll around in the settings file.found this setting

Code: Select all

app.mainframe.basecolor = 6576740
It appears that this setting controls the 'Color Theme' option. It looks like the color format you are using is CMYK is this correct? If we change the code in the settings file it looks like it takes precedence over whatever is used in the menu settings. There is also a difference in the true CMYK color and that used for the theme. I guess you are diluting the color somehow in code?

If this is all correct i think it's time to share for us to create some new new color schemes, to share and maybe include in the CN menu in the future.

I guess this goes partway towards the color scheme customization listed in requests (plus you might get a list of peoples color preferences :lol: )
No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
kranor

Re: Tweaking via the settings file

Postby kranor » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:26 am

My current color number is 700000100 it gives a much darker gray and fits in well with a darker theme. Now if only I could change the main theme color............. :lol:
No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:44 am

Hi kranor,

I guess this is just another proof that no one actually reads help :D
But don't worry I'm cool with it ;)

app.mainframe.basecolor
Encoded base color of the current color theme. It is basically a hex value like #F05A00 converted to decimal.
It is a dark color used as a hue reference value, all colors of the theme are derived from it via blending it
with white in different proportions.

So as you see it is not CMYK but plain old RGB in decimal. Why in decimal? Well, it was easier to read and write this way..
This is a dark base color.

And in the light of using coloring for note categories, which is currently ranked #6, I wouldn't count on "color themes" staying in CN
in the form they are now for long, so don't think it would be a particularly good idea to start extending the Color Theme menu without redefining what a "Color Theme" actually means.
Alex
kranor

Postby kranor » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:17 am

I don't even refer to instructions when putting IKEA furniture together :lol:

Seriously my definition of 'Perfect' software is one where instructions and help are not required, one where it is so intuitive it is not needed.
At the moment I am involved with teaching around 3500 people how to use SAP, of these less than a quarter are actually effective in their use of SAP after the training. Various factors such as age, usage, software complexity and general PC knowledge, combine limit the effectiveness of this training.
Now you can see where my definition comes from.

I promise, hand on heart, to never read your help files and just blunder on repeating what is obvious to those that have read them. :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way the item in Roadmap I was referring to was
This one
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:45 am

I see :D I'm mostly the same myself so I can't blame you :)

As for the color scheme customization, I guess we need to (re)define terms for it properly. Will it now refer to customizing the color of UI elemets, while leaving the color of notes to category coloring?
Alex
kranor

Postby kranor » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:19 pm

I think you are right 'Color theme' as a term tends to indicate the color for CN as a whole, whereas note color is a better description for what currently happens. Maybe it would be better to change the term now, before too many language files are completed, in preparation for the commercial version.
That way everyone has a chance to get used to the change in terminology and it should also simplify any code changes if you are just changing the title of a menu item rather than the functionality.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:50 pm

Sorry for the delayed reply.
I think if we change the term now we will have to change it again in the future after note categories are implemented.
The whole color menu might disappear. So lets not do this futile work, we will have to change the translations anyway.
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”