Sync CN

oded

Sync CN

Postby oded » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:48 pm

I use CN both on my desktop and laptop computers.
The cintanotes.db file is located in my dropbox folder.
Say I've added some new records to my desktop's CN.
Is there a way to have my laptop's CN be updated while CN is running? (not active, but running)
or do I have to close my laptop's CN, wait until dropbox folder is updated and launch CN again?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Sync CN

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:49 pm

Hi oded,

no you don't have to close CN. After 30 seconds of inactivity CN will release the db file and Dropbox will be able to sync it.
Alex
oded

Postby oded » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:31 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Hi oded,

no you don't have to close CN. After 30 seconds of inactivity CN will release the db file and Dropbox will be able to sync it.

Thank you Alex for your answer :)
Yes, dropbox synced the updated file flawlessly.
My question is about my laptop (the record was added to my desktop's CN.)
Like I've said before, CN was running on my laptop while the record was added to my desktop's CN.
After dropbox synced cintanotes.db it was trying to download it to my laptop.
The message I saw on my laptop said "Dropbox downloading 1 file. Can't sync cintanotes.db; busy"
This makes sense because cintanotes.db was opened the moment I've launched CN (on laptop) and that happened before inserting the record to my desktop's CN.
I closed CN and immediately cintanotes.db was cynced.
Launching CN again loaded of course the updated file.
So I'm asking again: Is there a way to load the updated cintanotes.db file (from dropbox) without closing and relaunching CN? (kind of "reload" maybe?....)

Thank you,
Oded.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:05 am

CN does reloading automatically when it detects that cintanotes.db has changed.
You need to wait 30sec for CN to release cintanotes.db, ~1-5min for DropBox to update cintanotes.db and ~30sec for CN to reload the updated database.
How long have you waited?
Alex
oded

Postby oded » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:02 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:CN does reloading automatically when it detects that cintanotes.db has changed.
You need to wait 30sec for CN to release cintanotes.db, ~1-5min for DropBox to update cintanotes.db and ~30sec for CN to reload the updated database.
How long have you waited?

Well, it seems I wasn't patient enough... :)
I have made several tests. First inserted records to CN on desktop and waited for laptop update. Then made some changes on laptop and waited for desktop to update.
Everything worked flawlessly :D
Btw, would it work the same if I add a 3rd computer? (I mean change CN data on one computer and waiting for the other two to update automatically)
Thank you Alex for your help.
Much appreciated :)

Oded.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:46 am

Great that it has worked for you! Yes, it will work for any number of PCs as long as you allow enough time for sync to happen.
This is especially important if you have a lot of files in your DropBox folder which are often modified.
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”