Two questions about tagging

faus

Two questions about tagging

Postby faus » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:55 am

1. Is there a way to disable the auto alphabetic ordering of tags (not during edit but while on the list)

2. How can I use a phrase (which in this case meaning a group of words or seperated by one or more spaces) as a tag, if at all ?
ale

Re: Two questions about tagging

Postby ale » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:31 pm

1. At the moment it's not possible. The tag sidebar, the tags in the note preview and also in the edit window are all alphabetically sorted. A planned evolution of the tagging system will see the introduction of tag grouping and a hierarchy. As I understand you're talking about the list, thus about the note preview. How would you like to see tags presented there? can you tell us what's the limit of the current system for your needs? thanks!

2. As outlined here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=285, the current behaviour is by design. So to use multi term tags we have to join them with something like an underscore or possibly use a workaround, a character which looks like a space but it's not a space (the discussion suggests Alt+0160). Of course is just a workaround, and the tagging system is not set in stone forever, a discussion about multi term tags is on Userecho http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/feedback/3781-more-than-one-word-tags/ (the feedback system used to prioritize requests for enhancements).
faus

Postby faus » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:31 am

As I understand you're talking about the list, thus about the note preview. How would you like to see tags presented there? can you tell us what's the limit of the current system for your needs?

I'd like to see the the tags presented in the same order as in the edit window (chronological order). The limit of the current system implemented in cintatnotes regarding tagging is that there is only one type of ordering/sorting.

As outlined here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=285, the current behaviour is by design. So to use multi term tags we have to join them with something like an underscore or possibly use a workaround, a character which looks like a space but it's not a space (the discussion suggests Alt+0160). Of course is just a workaround, and the tagging system is not set in stone forever, a discussion about multi term tags is on Userecho http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/feedback/3781-more-than-one-word-tags/ (the feedback system used to prioritize requests for enhancements).

Hmm, I knew there was that feedback system you mentioned and I've actually used it (put another up vote for http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/feedback/10886-search/). I was also about to the same thing for a feature request suggesting a phrase to be used as a tag if such suggestion existed. What I've done wrong though, as it turned out, was to search the roadmap list with the word "phrase" and none other. Since the term "phrase" rather than "multi term" is used much more widely (like in google search (http://www.google.com/support/websearch ... wer=136861) or in a lot of advanced forum search pages), the latter didn't come across my mind. It seems I should've been more prudent, after all. I just added a vote to the petition(?) following the link you provided.

Thanks for the reply.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:58 am

Hi and thanks for your message, faus!

1. Could you tell why the chronological order of tags is important for you? As I understand it, the whole idea of tags suggests that there's no
chronological order.. And, do you mean the date when the tag was created, or rather when a certain tag was assigned to a certain note?

2. This is planned to be implemented as an option, but then you'll have to pick another tag delimiter since a simple space won't do that anymore.
ale already gave you the link where you can vote to increase this issue's priority.
Alex
faus

Postby faus » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:05 pm

Hi,

1. Could you tell why the chronological order of tags is important for you? As I understand it, the whole idea of tags suggests that there's no
chronological order.. And, do you mean the date when the tag was created, or rather when a certain tag was assigned to a certain note?

Now that you ask, I realize I didn't really mean chronological order (so thanks for asking). Tags are not only used for searching as long as they are shown with the contents of a note on preview (and whatnot) although nowadays it seems the reason for their existence lies in searching. After all, they are there to show which subjects a certain note is related to. If that's the case, why not bring a little order to them ? If I assigned, for example, dog, pet, and animal for note A and animal, pet, dog for note B, then, for me, the most relevant and important topic for note A would be dog with the second and third most relevant and important one being pet and animal while the order of relevance and importance among tags for note B would be reverse to that of note A. This is because I personally arrange tags in that order. The reason I used the word "chronological" was because, for the most of the time, I put the most relevant tag first and the second most one after doing it rather than put whatever comes across my mind first and then rearrange it to reflect the order of relevance/importance. What I would like is, as implied in my original post (even now I'm not sure why ale asked how I would like to see tags presented - I said "not during edit") and bluntly said in my second post,
the tags presented in the same order as in the edit window

This is planned to be implemented as an option, but then you'll have to pick another tag delimiter since a simple space won't do that anymore.
I'm not sure if I understood you correctly, but if I did, the point of this plan is then to make the tag limiter more simpler ? I mean the current "delimter"
,though not really a delimter and just a workaround, is 'Alt+0160' and since it's a bit long to type not like other common delimiters, you're trying to make one that's simpler, possibly one-character, but whatever it would be, it won't be a space. Is this right ?

ale already gave you the link where you can vote to increase this issue's priority.
Yes, and I've added a vote to it like I said in my above post.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:06 am

Hi faus and really sorry for the delayed reply!

faus wrote:Now that you ask, I realize I didn't really mean chronological order (so thanks for asking). [...]

Addressed this topic in separate thread.

faus wrote:2. I'm not sure if I understood you correctly, but if I did, the point of this plan is then to make the tag limiter more simpler? I mean the current "delimiter", though not really a delimiter and just a workaround, is 'Alt+0160' and since it's a bit long to type not like other common delimiters, you're trying to make one that's simpler, possibly one-character, but whatever it would be, it won't be a space. Is this right?

I mean that if you want to have space character as part of tag, space cannot remain to be the tag delimiter, so another character would have to be used for this purpose, such as comma or semicolon. But of course there will be users that would prefer to have everything as it was, this is why this should be made configurable.
Alex
faus

Postby faus » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:08 am

Hi alex,

Hi faus and really sorry for the delayed reply!

I've been thinking me and my post were ignored all together :shock:

I mean that if you want to have space character as part of tag, space cannot remain to be the tag delimiter, so another character would have to be used for this purpose, such as comma or semicolon. But of course there will be users that would prefer to have everything as it was, this is why this should be made configurable.

I'm probably getting old. Even though you clearly stated "tag delimiter", I was actually thinking about a 'word delimiter' (but then, even I refered to it as "tag delimiter" !), one that seperates words within a tag. Sorry for having you to unnecessarily elaborate it.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:18 am

faus wrote:I've been thinking me and my post were ignored all together :shock:

Sorry for that once again. When I'm able to give up my day job in favor of working on CN, the situation with tech support will probably get better;)

I'm probably getting old. Even though you clearly stated "tag delimiter", I was actually thinking about a 'word delimiter' (but then, even I refered to it as "tag delimiter" !), one that seperates words within a tag. Sorry for having you to unnecessarily elaborate it.

No problem, happens to all of us ;) Glad that the issue is clear now.
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”