Beta M8 discussion!

Dana

Re: Beta M8 discussion!

Postby Dana » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:25 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Dana wrote:I like the sidebar feature! is there a Hotkey for show/hide?
I'll issue an update, just need to know which key should it be.
Any suggestions?

F4 or F5 , I don't care - thx!
alta

Postby alta » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:27 am

Great update !
I love the new side bar. However as I already have a lot of tags (at least to pages), it would be nice to be able organize them in a tree.

Another suggestion - when searching a word that is at the end of a "long" note (i.e. long enough so that the botom of the note is not displayed) the note is correctly found, but the word I search is not diplayed. Is it possible to auto-scroll the note to the first word found ?

Thanks for this great app !
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:35 am

Dana wrote:
Any suggestions?

Also not bothered which key.
But, how about having a CintaNotes toolbar, with a button on it to show/hide the Tag Sidebar?
Nod
gravi_t

Postby gravi_t » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:23 am

"I'll issue an update, just need to know which key should it be.
Any suggestions?"

Well, what about the "T" key...?

I also posted a few ideas over in the feature requests topic earlier. A number of those has been implemented in the M8 version, great!

"I really didn't think that people would like to show/hide the sidebar frequently, I thought that someone would either use it or not."
I like a clean and simple interface, so I'd like to hide the side bar for most of the time and only display it when I want to see messages under a tab.

"a CintaNotes toolbar"
I'd rather have a hotkey (see above -- simple interface)

"However, as I already have a lot of tags (at least to pages), it would be nice to be able organize them in a tree."
I think the announced "notebooks-in-tabs feature could solve this.
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:41 pm

A suggestion - a start-up command line option for searching, e.g. Cintanotes searchtype=tag searchstring=ToDo.
What will this be used for, could you elaborate please?
Command line - I start CintaNotes by command line from my startup folder. At that time I woudl like it only to display my ToDo items.

If you do include this functionality could it please include the ability to select Untagged notes? Thanks. Nod
alta

Postby alta » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:24 pm

Noddy330 wrote:=====
Any suggestions?

=====

Also not bothered which key.
But, how about having a CintaNotes toolbar, with a button on it to show/hide the Tag Sidebar?
Nod

I like that idea
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:02 pm

kranor wrote:Ah that sheet would not be used for polling just a list of

1) Roadmap (without dates or priority ;))
2) Requested features, enhancements and bugfixes
3) Status of those requests

For polling we would start a new thread with each new version released, archiving the previous polls of course. This would keep the poll threads shorter and more up to date. The polls would also allow us to 'encourage' priority without it turning into people pestering you! :D

So we will need to use the forum anyway. As I see it, the spreadsheet is just a summary. Keeping track of both forum and spreadsheet is much harder from the maintenance standpoint, I would prefer to first try to do it using just the forum.
The roadmap/summary can be kept in an announcement topic, editable by moderators.

As I envision it, the voting will be available in each feature topic, and there will be votes like:
-2: "I don't want this to be implemented, it will make the program less appealing to me"
-1: "I don't need this personally, but it won't affect my usage of the program"
1: "Would be nice to have"
2: "Definitely want it"

So you will be able to:
- Down-vote features you don't need in favor of features that you really need
- See how popular your request is among other CN users.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:08 pm

Noddy330 wrote:
Guest wrote:Please could I have the note body not display one blank line when it is empty - I manage My To-Do list this way. I keep switching between max lines=n for normal viewing, and max lines=0 to see my To-Do list.

Scheduled for the next version.

A suggestion - a start-up command line option for searching, e.g. Cintanotes searchtype=tag searchstring=ToDo.
What will this be used for, could you elaborate please?

No Blank line - thanks
Command line - I start CintaNotes by command line from my startup folder. At that time I woudl like it only to display my ToDo items.
Nod

So real task here is: how to make CintaNotes display just the needed things at startup. I don't think that using the command line is the only possible solution here. This actually makes a viable option in the program itself. For example, there could be a possiblity to mark tags as "default" or something like that. Needs more thought.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:19 pm

toddclausen wrote:
CintaNotes Developer wrote:There are some options:

2) Implementing a homegrown solution using a separate forum, where each topic = 1 feature request, and people vote via the poll which is associated with every topic. And also the feature implementation details can be discussed in the topic itself. In this way it will be easy to see the status of each feature (moderators will edit the subject). I think it is worth trying, and you? I think we can elaborate on this. And also, volunteers who will help me moderate this FR forum are welcome;)

Given our currently available technology, why don't we start by creating an announcement post (or do something so it is sticky at the top of the forum index page) Each request would be created as a normal forum post, and then for the set of requests, a moderator can edit that main post to link to each request as a separate forum topic. We can all then weigh in on the feature request by posting as our vote.

The Google doc could work, in that you could see vote-cheating by going back through the versions, but that seems like a lot more effort for a mod.

I second this. Using just one medium for communication should be much simpler.
Definitely the idea with spreadsheet has its merits. It could provide, for example, an automated feature scoring algorithm.
The idea is, for each feature a score will be calculated, based on perceived user value (poll data), estimated effort (me), and maybe some other parameters. But anyway we still need to organize the forum first, so let's start with that.
Alex
kranor

Postby kranor » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:15 am

Fine by me :D
What are your thoughts on a brand new Poll/Suggestion thread for each new release with the old ones being archived?
No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:48 am

kranor wrote:Fine by me :D
What are your thoughts on a brand new Poll/Suggestion thread for each new release with the old ones being archived?

You mean suggestions to me what should be included in the next release? or something else?
Alex
Dana

Postby Dana » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:22 am

I don't find the "Automatic HTML link recognition" at the roadmap, but this feature is already planned, right?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:39 am

Dana wrote:I don't find the "Automatic HTML link recognition" at the roadmap, but this feature is already planned, right?

Yes, it is planned. Please read there on top: roadmap table is not yet complete.
Alex
kranor

Postby kranor » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:53 pm

yes Suggestions to you and requests.
No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
toddclausen

Postby toddclausen » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:34 pm

kranor wrote:What are your thoughts on a brand new Poll/Suggestion thread for each new release with the old ones being archived?

I like this idea, If we go with the suggestion to create a single post for mods to keep updated, they can add and remove these from the main announcement post. Archiving and removing the older items keeps the announcement post and the forum a little cleaner.
-Todd
LNS

Postby LNS » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:33 am

Yo~ dude. What you are doing is awesome. Respect! ;]

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:30 pm

Can I Disable the "backup" folder, and setup the data path?

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:46 pm

A great note tool!

How the tags can be expanded or collapsed?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:47 am

Guest wrote:Can I Disable the "backup" folder, and setup the data path?

No, unfortunately not at the time. I've added it to the roadmap, #180.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:47 am

Guest wrote:A great note tool!

How the tags can be expanded or collapsed?

What do you mean exactly? Tags are not hierarchical at the moment.
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”