Idea: CintaNotes compatible Python application

m_inthemiddle

Idea: CintaNotes compatible Python application

Postby m_inthemiddle » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:41 am

Hey there,

first off, thanks a lot for CintaNotes. I have used a lot of notetaking applications on both Mac and Windows, but this is by far the best, because it just does with it should do: take notes.

As I'm working on Linux also, I wished there was a Linux version of CintaNotes. But as I understand, it is hard to port it.

But...

What if one wrote a whole new app for Linux - or even better: Platform independent - that is compatible with CintaNotes database format.

Thus, I was searching for a Python notetaking app, that also uses SQ Lite. Why start something from scratch if there is some source already?

And here I found one open-source project: Tagnotes. http://tagnotes.sourceforge.net/

It hasn't been updated for nearly 6 years (!) and seems to be broken on both Python 2.7 and Python 3.2 - at least I could not get it runnnig.

It is also command line only and the SQ Lite database looks a bit different.

But I guess it should be not too much of work for a Python and a Tkinter programmer to build a CintaNotes look-a-like upon this.

I am a non-developer, but might help with creating it - I am a business developer ;-)

Get in touch if you think this is interesting and you want to help!

I'm curious what you think about that method to get a multi platform version of CintaNote...

Cheers
Martin
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Idea: CintaNotes compatible Python application

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:36 am

Hi Martin,

thanks for the idea! I think you underestimate the amount of work needed to transform
a command-line tool into a usable GUI application. But I won't mind if someone would
express his wish to take on such open-source project - the more CintaNotes-compatible
applications there are, the better :)
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”