Upgrade from Cintanotes Version 1.4.3 to 1.5.3

Sprite3

Upgrade from Cintanotes Version 1.4.3 to 1.5.3

Postby Sprite3 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:17 pm

I run Windows xp.Today I downloaded the new Cintanotes 1.5.3 Version with formatting options. But my old version 1.4.3 without the formatting is still happily operating .Firstly how do I find out where my notes are currently stored.Secondly how do I get the new version to import my old notes which I definitely don't want to lose.Finally how do get the latest version of Cintanotes to replace the old version, so it and not the old version launches when I click the task bar.
It would be nice if Cintanotes indicated where cintanote files were stored.Other than that this is a great program trusty and easy to use.
ale

Re: Upgrade from Cintanotes Version 1.4.3 to 1.5.3

Postby ale » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:14 pm

Hello, your notes are stored in a file called cintanotes.db
Indeed very old versions of CintaNotes didn't make obvious where the database file was located, later a new menu item was added to let the user check this information and to introduce some commands related to the notebook.
I think CintaNotes version 1.4.3 already had this menu, so please check "File > Notebook..." and look for "Notebook File:", this will show the full path and name to your notebook file. Then exit CintaNotes and make a backup copy of this file using for example Windows Explorer. An alternative approach would be to export all the notes to the .xml format using again the File > Export > All... command
If we export notes to .xml we can use the import command later.

The new version if installed to the same folder of the old version or, if using the portable version, decompressed to the same folder of the old one, should pick up automatically your notes. Given you created a backup in the previous step, you can try without fear. You can check your running version looking into "Help > About CintaNotes".
Sprite3

Postby Sprite3 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:20 am

Grazie signor moderatore for your speedy and competent response.Your suggestion worked a treat.I exported my 600 cintanotes in xml format from the old version of Cintanotes as you suggested.This meant I was able to later import them into the new version of Cintanotes.The new flexibility in formating is great but it makes me hunger for more.It would be nice to be able to colour the words in a note rather than just highlighting them, and a find and replace option within a note like microsoft word would be the icing on the cake.But let's not get too fancy above all I like the straightforward ease of use and reliability of cintanotes a great little program.It has not let me down by losing information.I note someone in a forum suggested to be able to make tags in upper case as well as lower case .Just leave the tags alone I say, don't go there ,they work just fine as they are and I'd hate to see the simplicity/reliability of Cintanotes get compromised by being too clever.
ale

Postby ale » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:20 pm

Prego :) glad you solved without problems. For the other points you raised, a couple of them are on UserEcho (the site where the official roadmap is hosted).

http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/832 ... s-in-tags/
the ability to use uppercase tags is under development, I think at the beginning it was not implemented for performance reasons (as I seem to remember) but then it was requested a few times. The good thing is that it's one of those features that will not affect much users who do not wish to use it, so I don't see any real drawbacks

http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/316 ... it-dialog/
Search and replace in notes was also suggested

About rich formatting and coloring, I feel it's not a top feature at the moment, because the formatting we have now it's purposely "basic", it's intended as a step up from no formatting, but the idea is not to be a substitute of a heavy and complete formatting-rich application. And the second reason is that a very different feature is now under development, I think work is focused to introduce a hierarchy in the tag set: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1198
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:55 am

Hi Sprite3, ale,

thanks to ale for solving the problem.
I confirm the statements about formatting and tags.
The current tag-related behavior will remain to be the default, so even if "capital letters in tags" is implemented,
it won't be forced on you, you'll have to turn this option on explicitly.

I think formatting options will be revisited some time in the future, but since there is
huge number of tasks in the pipeline, it probably won't be very soon.
I added your text coloring reqest to the roadmap here.
If it gets a lot of votes, it will be moved up in priority.
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”