Create a "Pre-Releases" forum

Thomas Lohrum

Create a "Pre-Releases" forum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:08 am

I suggest to add a third forum to the existing "Bugs and Feature Requets" forums. I suggest to introduce the release of beta- or release-candidate-software. That would allow intertested people to help make sure the quality is well enough for public release. Minor issues like the broken F3-search key could have been avoided this way. Name it "beta-forum" or whatever you think is best. I happily would be active supporting the forum.

Thomas
Brian

Re: Create a "Pre-Releases" forum

Postby Brian » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:56 pm

Is there really a need for a full forum for this? There's already threads with pre-release/betas for testing when they are available.
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:54 pm

My suggestion includes two items:
1. Release beta/rc software
2. create a forum for the beta/rc software

As for #1
This should help to raise the quality of the software when available for public.

As for #2
A forum on it's own has the advantage of a container collecting all information to the beta/rc software. Users not interested can ignore this "sub-forum". Users interested will easily find information in a central place.
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:52 pm

To clarify further: public releases should continue to be announced in this forum.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:37 am

This is a very good idea!
I've done this before, but I think it would be better if I'd done that in a systematic way, and not ad-hoc
like it was before.

But I doubt that we need to create a special forum for that. We can do it in the following way:
I'd create a topic e.g. "[Ann] CintaNotes 1.6 Pre-Release" where I'll put out the latest beta version.
This will draw more attention to the topic then in case if it was in a separate forum.

Later on when the issues found are fixed, I'll rename the topic to simply "[Ann] CintaNotes 1.6",
write a release notification post in there, and the discussion of the new version can continue there.
This will make all discussion related to a specific version be contained in one topic and will keep the
forum uncluttered.
What do you think?
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:41 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Later on when the issues found are fixed, I'll rename the topic to simply "[Ann] CintaNotes 1.6" (...) What do you think?
I'm not a friend of renaming things. It gives them a different meaning afterwards. The intentional meaning was different. Anyhow, because of the simplicity of the idea, let's give it a try :)

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:15 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I'm not a friend of renaming things. It gives them a different meaning afterwards. The intentional meaning was different. Anyhow, because of the simplicity of the idea, let's give it a try :)

I agree that renaming can possibly be confusing.. in this case, let's create a new topic for the "final" release.
It's not like we are saving on number of topics in this forum, anyway ;)
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”