[Ann] CintaNotes 1.5.6

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

[Ann] CintaNotes 1.5.6

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:08 am

Feb 20, 2012 - Bugfix release: 1.5.6

In this version:

Enhancements:
  • Note editor: placed last modification date under the creation date for easier comparison.
  • Note editor: activating links with Ctrl+Click.
  • Updated translations.
Fixes:
  • Note editor: F3 and Shift-F3 keys for find next/previous were not working (regression).
  • Note editor: creation and modification time labels were not updated on Ctrl+S.
  • Note editor: the "Note saved" message on Ctrl+S was not always visible.
  • Note's last modified date always changed if note font was the same as the configured monospace font.
  • Replaced confusing error message on trying to import a non-existent .db notebook file with a more user-friendly one.
  • Notes could be lost when merged while sorted by modified order.
  • Fixed non-intuitive date assignment behavior on creating and saving notes.
  • Fixed distorted painting of note title's search highlights if max preview text lines was set to 0.
  • Fixed possible crash when importing notes from older .db files.

Download:
Installable: CintaNotes_1_5_6_Setup.exe
Portable: CintaNotes_1_5_6.zip
Alex
wukaem

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.5.6

Postby wukaem » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:33 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Feb 20, 2012 - Bugfix release: 1.5.6

In this version:

Hi there,
what does the check box "Always display sort mode date" in 'View' > 'Note Appearance' change? :)
I didn't understand this sentence without knowing context, so I waited with translating it till I see this feature in action. :)
Well, now I still don't know what is different when I check/uncheck this box. Help me. :)
wiktor
david_c

Postby david_c » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:12 pm

Updated portable version from prior pre-release version, but created/modified dates are not stacked, but stilll inline.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:06 pm

wukaem wrote:what does the check box "Always display sort mode date" in 'View' > 'Note Appearance' change? :)
I didn't understand this sentence without knowing context, so I waited with translating it till I see this feature in action. :)
Well, now I still don't know what is different when I check/uncheck this box. Help me. :)

Hi! This setting helps avoid the following situation: you set up CN to display the creation date. Then you sort notes by the modification date. But you won't see the date you are sorting by! So here comes this setting, which tells CN that if notes sorted by some date, this date should be displayed no matter what the "Display date and time" setting is. Hope that the explanation is clear enough ;)

david_c wrote:Updated portable version from prior pre-release version, but created/modified dates are not stacked, but stilll inline.

They are only stacked in the note editor. Are you referring to the editor, or to the main window?
Probably it would make sense to stack them in the notes list as well. But then the header will become quite thick..
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:56 pm

david_c wrote:Probably it would make sense to stack them in the notes list as well. But then the header will become quite thick..
I agree it would be more readable beneath each other, but would use too much space.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:what does the check box "Always display sort mode date" in 'View' > 'Note Appearance' change?
The dialog is confusing here. I guess one problem is, that the newly added options for creation/modification date are valid for the notes list only, whereas the other options affect the notes editor also. Maybe there should be a better caption for the option, e.g. "Date display in the notes list".

My personal settings are:
Date and time display: [none]
[X] Always display sort mode date
[X] Display time of day
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:25 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:The dialog is confusing here. I guess one problem is, that the newly added options for creation/modification date are valid for the notes list only, whereas the other options affect the notes editor also. Maybe there should be a better caption for the option, e.g. "Date display in the notes list".

My personal settings are:
Date and time display: [none]
[X] Always display sort mode date
[X] Display time of day

Well the only other setting that is applied to the editor is the "Text font", and I'd say this is mostly just coincidence.
This dialog is related only to the notes list. I thought this was obvious but apparently not so much)
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:23 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Well the only other setting that is applied to the editor is the "Text font", and I'd say this is mostly just coincidence.
This dialog is related only to the notes list. I thought this was obvious but apparently not so much)
Now i understand why the menu is under "View", not in "Options". But it wasn't that obvious to me, because it's an entire dialog. It looks like a traditional options-dialog, rather than simple settings as the remaining "view" items. Maybe you can add a simple header label to the dialog, e.g. "Hint: These settings apply to the notes list only."

As for the font settings: Either the options menu should introduce an additional dialog for setting the font of the editor. Else the font settings should be moved from "notes appearance" to an overall font-settings-dialog that would apply to the editor and the notes list as well. In which case the dialog should appear under "options".

Thomas
smek2

Postby smek2 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:34 pm

Not sure if this is a bug, but when i edit/enter a note's title and try to delete a word with ctrl+backspace, if the cursor is before the very first character i get this error message:

class std::out_of_range
invalid string position

The program doesn't crash however.
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:49 pm

smek2 wrote:Not sure if this is a bug (...)
invalid string position
I confirm the bug. Create a new note. Insert a letter, e.g. "s". Move the cursor before the letter (pos 1). Press Ctrl+Backspace. Fix the bug ;)

EDIT: The same bug hits for "tags" and "link" too.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:01 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Now i understand why the menu is under "View", not in "Options". But it wasn't that obvious to me, because it's an entire dialog. It looks like a traditional options-dialog, rather than simple settings as the remaining "view" items. Maybe you can add a simple header label to the dialog, e.g. "Hint: These settings apply to the notes list only."

I see that the clarification is needed, but would much rather prefer a bit more elegant solution. Maybe renaming the "Note Appearance..." to "Note Preview" will do the trick? ;)

Thomas Lohrum wrote:As for the font settings: Either the options menu should introduce an additional dialog for setting the font of the editor. Else the font settings should be moved from "notes appearance" to an overall font-settings-dialog that would apply to the editor and the notes list as well. In which case the dialog should appear under "options".

I agree there. I think I'll prefer the former approach.

smek2 wrote:Not sure if this is a bug, but when i edit/enter a note's title and try to delete a word with ctrl+backspace, if the cursor is before the very first character i get this error message:

invalid string position

Thanks for the report, I confirm the bug! Will be fixed in 1.6.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:49 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Maybe renaming the "Note Appearance..." to "Note Preview" will do the trick? ;)
I like it, but there is one thing with it. Over time i have adapted the terms "notes list" and "note editor" since using cintanotes. Now we would have another term "Note Preview" (shouldn't it be plural "Notes Preview"?). I would like to have a unified term when refering to what now can be called "search result, search list, notes list, notes preview, ...".

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:41 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:
CintaNotes Developer wrote:Maybe renaming the "Note Appearance..." to "Note Preview" will do the trick? ;)
I like it, but there is one thing with it. Over time i have adapted the terms "notes list" and "note editor" since using cintanotes. Now we would have another term "Note Preview" (shouldn't it be plural "Notes Preview"?). I would like to have a unified term when refering to what now can be called "search result, search list, notes list, notes preview, ...".
Thomas

I guess you are right, but here we refer not to the notes list, but of what it contains - note previews )
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:57 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:I guess you are right, but here we refer not to the notes list, but of what it contains - note previews )
Agreed :)

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”