simple question - copying the cintanotes.db as backup method

DES_Toronto

simple question - copying the cintanotes.db as backup method

Postby DES_Toronto » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:28 pm

I'm just having my first look at CintaNotes, and I'm quite impressed. It looks very useful. I'm thinking of having portable a copy on my home computer, maybe another portable on a USB thumb drive, and maybe downloading a portable copy on a computer at work or somewhere else. Synchronizing then would become a concern. I understand your explanation about DropBox, but I don't like having auto-backup programs on my computer. Here's what I propose instead--simply upload the cintanotes.db file to an online storage service at the end of every session, and download it at the start of the next session, copying it over the pre-existing copy on the current device. It's a little clumsy, I know, but most of my usage will be at home, so I won't be doing it all that often and the inconvenience is not much of a problem.

My question is simply whether this approach will work OK. For example, is overwriting the .db file problem-free? Is is the best--or the only--way to go, or is there maybe some better way to merge the two .db files instead?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: simple question - copying the cintanotes.db as backup me

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:20 am

Hi!
Yes, this is a perfectly valid method, but in case you forget to update your .db file you can get into
problems with it, having two .db files with unique notes in it. In this case, this is the same problem
that is described in help concerning DropBox's "conflicted" files.

A safer option would be to put CN onto a USB drive and run it from there.
Mounting a network drive via VPN could be also an option to explore.
Hope this helps!
Alex
DES_Toronto

Postby DES_Toronto » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:36 am

Thank you. Using a USB device is probably the way I'll go. I'm looking forward to putting CintaNotes to work. I've been looking for a good miscellaneous-notes keeper for some times, and CintaNotes looks like it will meet my needs best of the various alternatives I've looked at.

Cheers, from Toronto.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:02 am

Glad that I could help, hope that you'll enjoy using CN!
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”