Version 1.6 Beta 1

Thomas Lohrum

Version 1.6 Beta 1

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:01 am

Hi Alex,

on Friday March 16 you released v1.6 beta 1. Maybe you didn't want to announce it yet, but that make's it hard to discuss the beta. For easier communication i will post my experiences here.

Misc
  • Note editor status bar: When saving a note there is a flicker at the bottom windows border. I think the text "Note saved" appears twice. The second is not wanted. You have to save the note a couple of times, for the flicker is not always visible.
  • Ctrl+U to list untagged work's fine
  • Ctrl+Enter to clip a note should include the title
  • With v1.6 CintaNotes's windows appear on all my dexpot desktops. Is there a change in cn's windows handling?
  • Fixed search issues: I had time to test only little, but at a first glance it work's fine for the reported issues. I was puzzled about the following phrase: "people apart" will find "people apartment". Search does not end at word borders. But i checked with google, which treats the issue just the same manner. So this is just a remark.
  • Multiple Notebooks support: I have not yet tested the feature, but suggest to add a combo to the gui that can easily be accessed. Fill the combo with the list of available db's and add a shortcut to it. That would make using different notebooks (db's) far more powerful and attractive to use, since switching between them should be an easy task. Make the combo visible only, when differenct db's are available.

HTML Export
  • The HTML appearance is nice.
  • Using the title for notes that have a link is smart, though it wasn't obvious to me right away.
  • Exporting allows for selected/all. When selecting "all" the entire database will be exported, regardless of any filters. I think this is a bug. It should export "all" notes of the current view (search resultset) only.
  • There is another bug with some notes containing links, which will not be recognized and exported as plain text. I think this is the same bug, that affected notes in the notes editor and was fixed a couple of weeks ago.
  • I suggest to add folding/unfolding of notes. This might require to include javascript in the exported html file.

Language issues (german)
[*]file\new should be "Datei\Neu..."
[*]file\open should be "Datei\Öffnen..."
[*]file\save as should be "Datei\Speichern unter..."
[*]file\close should be "Datei\Schließen"
[*]help\license should be "Hilfe\Lizenz"
[*]search\search inside words should be "Suche\Suche in Wörtern"
[*]Options/Clipping/After Clipping/Assign currently active tags should be
"Optionen\Ausschneiden\nach Ausschneiden\Ausgewählte Marker zuweisen"

The features available with beta 1 look really nice. Imo this will be a great version for commercial release. I wish you really great success on this.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Version 1.6 Beta 1

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:42 am

Hi Thomas!

Thomas Lohrum wrote:on Friday March 16 you released v1.6 beta 1. Maybe you didn't want to announce it yet, but that make's it hard to discuss the beta. For easier communication i will post my experiences here.

Yep, it was not the official beta 1 release, I just wanted to help the user who was having problems. The official Beta 1 release will be tomorrow, and I'll create a separate thread for it. To distinguish it from the Friday release, I'll have to call it Beta 2 I guess ;)
Anyway huge thanks for checking it out, the sooner I know about any problems, the sooner I can correct them ;)

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Note editor status bar: When saving a note there is a flicker at the bottom windows border. I think the text "Note saved" appears twice. The second is not wanted. You have to save the note a couple of times, for the flicker is not always visible.

Unfortunately can't reproduce this. Can you reproduce this behavior on another PC? And could you please remind me your system config?

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Ctrl+Enter to clip a note should include the title

Well, that's arguable, for example I don't need the title inserted. Maybe using Ctrl+Shift+Enter to paste whole note (analogous to current Ctrl+Shift+C to copy the whole note) would be the way out of this dillemma?)

Thomas Lohrum wrote:With v1.6 CintaNotes's windows appear on all my dexpot desktops. Is there a change in cn's windows handling?

Well not explicitly, but a lot of things have changed, and anything out of the ordinary should be investigated. I have installed Dexport to check it out. CN is on all the desktops only if I run it as admin, otherwise it is managed by Dexpot without problems. Have you been running Beta 1 as admin?

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Fixed search issues: I had time to test only little, but at a first glance it work's fine for the reported issues. I was puzzled about the following phrase: "people apart" will find "people apartment". Search does not end at word borders. But i checked with google, which treats the issue just the same manner. So this is just a remark.

Yes, it is common to treat search phrase "people apart" as "people* apart*". Allows to find things sooner without entering all words to the end. If you need to find exactly "apart", but not "apartment", you'll need to put this word in doulbequotes (obviously with "search inside words" being off). Now it is not working and seems to be a bug, we'll be correcting this.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Multiple Notebooks support: I have not yet tested the feature, but suggest to add a combo to the gui that can easily be accessed. Fill the combo with the list of available db's and add a shortcut to it. That would make using different notebooks (db's) far more powerful and attractive to use, since switching between them should be an easy task. Make the combo visible only, when differenct db's are available.

Well now the opened files list in the "File" menu i basically this combo. Of course having a separate combo is not a bad idea, but probably not before there are some other elements to fill the toolbar, not the combo alone.
Also now you can use "Alt+F,<digit>" shortcut to switch to a certain DB.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Exporting allows for selected/all. When selecting "all" the entire database will be exported, regardless of any filters. I think this is a bug. It should export "all" notes of the current view (search resultset) only.

Well actually this hasn't changed at all since 1.5.6.
Anyway, in the final 1.6. release this will be resolved: we are planning to created an export dialog with three options: All, Current View and Selected.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:There is another bug with some notes containing links, which will not be recognized and exported as plain text. I think this is the same bug, that affected notes in the notes editor and was fixed a couple of weeks ago.

Could you provide some data for repeating this? Thanks.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I suggest to add folding/unfolding of notes. This might require to include javascript in the exported html file.

Ok, but probably not in the 1.6 version. Let's add this to the roadmap first.

Thanks for the help with the German translation, and for the generally positive feedback ;) Hopefully we'll be able to finish the Tag Grouping/Hierarchy in time for inclusion in 1.6. Right now the planned release date is April 10th by the way.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:14 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Unfortunately can't reproduce this. Can you reproduce this behavior on another PC? And could you please remind me your system config?
I have CN installed only on one PC, sorry. My system is Win7x64 Ultimate. I know you have changed the status bar to save space (as of my request ;)). To me it looks like some leftover drawing is done. The text "Note saved" near the text editor is correct. But there is a second text beneath it. It is close to the windows border. Actually it is visible only half. I think it is even shown before the "correct" text is drawn. It is visible only for less than a second.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Well, that's arguable, for example I don't need the title inserted. Maybe using Ctrl+Shift+Enter to paste whole note (analogous to current Ctrl+Shift+C to copy the whole note) would be the way out of this dillemma?)
Arquable, yes. To me it is easier to delete the title afterwards, if not wanted. The need to select, paste and insert it otherwise is just much more effort. Anyhow, Ctrl+Shift+Enter should handle the issue.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:CN is on all the desktops only if I run it as admin, otherwise it is managed by Dexpot without problems. Have you been running Beta 1 as admin?
I run as admin always having UAC enabled. The problem disappeared today after the pc was rebooted. Maybe it was an issue that appears after reinstall only. I will observe this.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:If you need to find exactly "apart", but not "apartment", you'll need to put this word in doulbequotes (obviously with "search inside words" being off).
That's the problem with double quote comments when reporting issues. Maybe i should have written ""people apart"" to make clear i had the text with double qoutes surrounded when executing the search. I am aware of using "phrase-search" ;) Searching "people* apart*" in a phrase would be rather uncommon ;)

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Anyway, in the final 1.6. release this will be resolved: we are planning to created an export dialog with three options: All, Current View and Selected.
Fine :)

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Could you provide some data for repeating this? Thanks.
I had already tried, but was not able to do so. Maybe this is related to the thread "1.5.1 URL link display is broken" as of Nov. 9, 2011.

Alex, please note i have reported another bug in the "bug-forum". There is a possible dataloss, when users don't realize, that cn has a problem with notes they have just created. See the separate thread, please. [EDIT]I've just seen you answered this while i was writing this thread :)

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:52 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I suggest to add folding/unfolding of notes. This might require to include javascript in the exported html file.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Ok, but probably not in the 1.6 version. Let's add this to the roadmap first.
Done :) You can vote for it here http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/102209-html-export-and-collapsingexpanding-notes/.
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:57 pm

Alex,

i took quite some preparations for testing the redesigned search engine. I will post as soon as i will actually execute more tests.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:49 am

Thanks, Thomas! Eagerly awaiting the test results)
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:58 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I have CN installed only on one PC, sorry. My system is Win7x64 Ultimate. I know you have changed the status bar to save space (as of my request ;)). To me it looks like some leftover drawing is done. The text "Note saved" near the text editor is correct. But there is a second text beneath it. It is close to the windows border. Actually it is visible only half. I think it is even shown before the "correct" text is drawn. It is visible only for less than a second.

Ok I think that I've nailed it. Will release the possible fix with Beta 2.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Arquable, yes. To me it is easier to delete the title afterwards, if not wanted. The need to select, paste and insert it otherwise is just much more effort. Anyhow, Ctrl+Shift+Enter should handle the issue.

Good, Ctrl+Shift+Enter will be released in 1.6 then.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I run as admin always having UAC enabled. The problem disappeared today after the pc was rebooted. Maybe it was an issue that appears after reinstall only. I will observe this.

Maybe you've checked "Run CintaNotes" after reinstall. Since installer ran as admin, the cintanotes.exe started by it ran with "asInvoker" privileges - also as admin.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:That's the problem with double quote comments when reporting issues. Maybe i should have written ""people apart"" to make clear i had the text with double qoutes surrounded when executing the search. I am aware of using "phrase-search" ;) Searching "people* apart*" in a phrase would be rather uncommon ;)

Well it doesn't really affect the fix, will be fixed in the today's relese of Beta 2 anyway ;)

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I had already tried, but was not able to do so. Maybe this is related to the thread "1.5.1 URL link display is broken" as of Nov. 9, 2011.

Maybe, although I doubt it.
Anyway, please let me know if you are able to reproduce the error, in other case I won't be able to fix it.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:16 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Maybe you've checked "Run CintaNotes" after reinstall. Since installer ran as admin, the cintanotes.exe started by it ran with "asInvoker" privileges - also as admin.
Indeed Alex, good observation! That was the case! Though it is convenient to start CN after installation, i wonder if it is really good practice. CN will run with admin priviliges and the user is probably not aware of this.

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”