[Ann] CintaNotes 1.6 Finally Released!

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

[Ann] CintaNotes 1.6 Finally Released!

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:11 pm

Apr 10, 2012 - Version 1.6

Like it was announced before, with this version the licensing model changes to "Freemium". Basic functionality (which covers all features of version 1.5.7) continues to be free, but the new commercial features require buying a Personal or Company license.

In this version:

Features:
  • [Commercial] Multiple notebooks support: CintaNotes now has the "File/Open" and "File/Save As..." commands, and also has the recently opened files list to easily switch between different DB files. The name of the currently opened DB file is displayed in the main window title (unless it is "cintanotes.db").
  • [Commercial] Ctrl+Enter shortcut to paste note text into currently active application.
  • [Commercial] Exporting notes to HTML format.
  • [Commercial] Tag sidebar can now display tag usage counts
    This allows you to easily see which tags are underused and can be merged or removed. Tag count display can be turned off in Options/Tags menu.
  • Unified and consistent search behavior: Search behavior is now unified and consistent. "Exact search" mode has been removed. Instead there's an option to search inside words. Now you can always use the logical operators: space as AND and '|' as OR
    If you need to search for an exact quote, put it in doublequotes, like this: "to be or not to be".
  • Support for mixed case tags.
  • "Cut" command for notes, and custom clipboard format to transfer notes from one notebook to another while keeping text formatting.
  • New "Help/License" dialog to manage product licensing: The dialog includes ability to automatically fill licensing data from clipboard and also via clipping.

Enhancements:
  • Tag sidebar can now be resized with the mouse.
  • New Options/Tags submenu to configure tagging options.
  • New option: "Options/Clipping/After Clipping/Assign currently active tags"
    When this option is on, newly clipped notes are automatically assigned tags which are currently selected on the Tag Sidebar.
  • Note editor: Alt+C now works as shortcut for "Cancel".
  • Ctrl+U shortcut for displaying untagged notes.
  • Last used export format is now remembered in settings.
  • Note export scope parameters in the export dialog.
  • Main menu reorganization. "Note Appearance" menu item moved to the Options menu.
  • The executable is now signed with a digital signature.
  • Proper metadata and version information in the executable.
  • Ctrl+Home/End in search box to focus note list and go to first/last note.

Fixes:
  • Eliminated possibility of painting artefacts on window maximization.
  • Full-text search was not working for East-Asian languages.
  • Searching for "-a" lead to a "Malformed MATCH expression" error.
  • Search could produce wrong results if query contained punctiation or delimiter characters.
  • Copy/pasting note in the notes list lost text formatting.
  • Pasting text in main window didn't recognize links.
  • Removed redundant formatting tags in exported XML file.
  • Non-ASCII characters in page URLs were corrupted on clipping.
  • USB stick could not be safely removed after note import or export.
  • Restoring focus after clipping was not working in Opera.
  • Note editor: wrong window position after being mazimized.
  • Note editor: lower pane height changed on Ctrl+S.
  • Note editor: applying formatting cleared existing formatting.
  • Note editor: pressing Enter twice didn't cancel bulleted and numbered lists.
  • Note editor: Undo behavior was incorrect after pasting text from clipboard.
  • Note editor: pressing F7 when Link is empty opened Windows Explorer.

Download:
Installable: CintaNotes_1_6_Setup.exe
Portable: CintaNotes_1_6.zip

Huge thanks to all who helped with beta testing the new version!! Thomas, I can't thank you enough!

There will be no license attached to this message - sorry ;) But I remember that I've promised a number of free licenses to people who have helped CintaNotes. If you think you should receive a free license, please send a short email to support@cintanotes.com, pointing me to your contribution, and I'll send you a license.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.6 Finally Released!

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:12 am

ChrisCN, Urmel, oded, and all others who have bought the license - thank you for your support!
Alex
oded

Postby oded » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:18 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:ChrisCN, Urmel, oded, and all others who have bought the license - thank you for your support!

Thank you, Alex for an excellent product :)

Oded.
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:13 am

oded wrote:Thank you, Alex for an excellent product :)
+1 :D
Gerard

Postby Gerard » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:29 pm

Alex, congratulations with this new version. I made the purchase immediately (nice touch that payment with Ideal is included).

-Very handy is the easy switching between notebooks.
-Also handy is the number of notes behind the tags in the sidebar. Makes it quite clear which tags can be removed (about 20% in one case).

Cheers,
Gerard
danielson

Postby danielson » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:45 pm

+ 1 here too! ;)

Congrats to you Alex and team!

Just placed order too! Thumbs up!
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:13 am

Looking good.
Like the tag count.
Nod
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:50 pm

Thanks guys! You are awesome.
Alex
anatolica

Postby anatolica » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:14 pm

Congratulations on the release,
Very happy to see Cinta out in the wild, as the ultimate distraction-free second brain :)
All the best,
Emre Ayca

edit: and tr translation is updated to 100% as the release present ;) congragulations again :D
Gerard

Postby Gerard » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:18 pm

Selecting a tag and then 'gathering' clippings under it, is very useful. But I noticed that when I select a tag and continue with other applications, after a few minutes the tag mysteriously gets deselected and jumps to "All". Is it intended to do that? If so, is there a way to keep it from doing that?

Gerard
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:58 pm

Gerard wrote:after a few minutes the tag mysteriously gets deselected and jumps to "All".
This doesn't happen to me (so I don't think this is normal or something like a feature). Do you do something particular when this happens?
Midas

Postby Midas » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:18 pm

Excellent news -- this is a real milestone for CintaNotes. Congratulations for your work, Alex.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:27 pm

anatolica wrote:edit: and tr translation is updated to 100% as the release present ;) congragulations again :D

Thanks Emre! Will be included in 1.6.1.

Gerard wrote:Selecting a tag and then 'gathering' clippings under it, is very useful. But I noticed that when I select a tag and continue with other applications, after a few minutes the tag mysteriously gets deselected and jumps to "All". Is it intended to do that? If so, is there a way to keep it from doing that?

The probably reason for that is that the database file changes underneath of CN, CN detects it and reloads it. Is your notebook file located in DropBox? Can something be changing it while CN is running?
Also please try turning "notebook.disconnect.enabled" param in cintanotes.settings to 0 - will the problem go away?
Also please try setting "notebook.reload.graceperiod.seconds" to a larger number, like 300.
Thanks!

Midas wrote:Excellent news -- this is a real milestone for CintaNotes. Congratulations for your work, Alex.

Thanks, Midas! Now there are actually two of us on programming - Sitex (the company that I work with) has hired a talented student to help me out, and I must say he is doing a very nice job so far!
Alex
Midas

Postby Midas » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:35 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Sitex (the company that I work with) has hired a talented student to help me out, and I must say he is doing a very nice job so far!
Well, congrats to him, too. 8-)
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:57 pm

Alex,

two minor issues with v1.6. Help is missing the global shortcut for creating a new note. The tags-sidebar context menu should have an option to easily "show tag count on/off". I know it's available in the global menu, but actually i searched it in the sidebar context menu first. It appears more convenient to me, when i temporarily want to disable the feature.

Thomas
Gerard

Postby Gerard » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:34 am

Alex wrote:Also please try turning "notebook.disconnect.enabled" param in cintanotes.settings to 0 - will the problem go away?
Also please try setting "notebook.reload.graceperiod.seconds" to a larger number, like 300.

Yes, I changed both, and that did the trick.

Thanks, Alex and ChrisCN, for your help.

Gerard
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:01 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:two minor issues with v1.6. Help is missing the global shortcut for creating a new note.

Thanks Thomas, I'll fix this in 1.6.1.

The tags-sidebar context menu should have an option to easily "show tag count on/off". I know it's available in the global menu, but actually i searched it in the sidebar context menu first. It appears more convenient to me, when i temporarily want to disable the feature.

Well right now there's no tag sidebar context menu, there is only tag context menu.. I'll need to think about it.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:37 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Well right now there's no tag sidebar context menu, there is only tag context menu.. I'll need to think about it.

Imo, that is no problem. If you like to distinguish tag vs tags options, add a dividing rule.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:56 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Imo, that is no problem. If you like to distinguish tag vs tags options, add a dividing rule.
Thomas

Ok agreed) Added to the roadmap: http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/106547-/
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”