Beta M9 Preview is available!

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Beta M9 Preview is available!

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:02 am

I'd like to collect some early feedback on the upcoming CintaNotes Beta M9, so here it goes guys :mrgreen:

What's new:
#14 Tag autocompletion (simple for now, no drop-down yet)
#181 Fixed: View shouldn't switch to Untagged after clipping if tag sidebar is off
#183 Fixed: FTP links are not recognized
#182 If after editing or deleting a note no notes are left in Untagged view, switch to All
#185 Note editor: The X button should mean OK not Cancel
#150 Run CintaNotes at system startup option
#163 Tag sidebar: Highlight relevant tags (I guess will be made more visible)

CintaNotes_BetaM9_Preview_2.zip
CintaNotes Beta M9 Preview
(344.94 KiB) Downloaded 2935 times

What's yet to do :
- Drop-down list for tag autocomplete
- Make relevant tags more visible.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
Attachments
CintaNotes_BetaM9_Preview.zip
CintaNotes Beta M9 Preview
(345 KiB) Downloaded 2664 times
Alex
toddclausen

Re: Beta M9 Preview is available!

Postby toddclausen » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:59 pm

So far this preview seems pretty stable, I do have one small problem.

I like the tag auto suggest, but is there a way to enter the tag and then immediately add another? for example, if i start typing the first few letters of a tag and it shows up, how do I keep that tag and add another right away? If I hit enter, the note editor box closes. If I hit space it doesn't complete the tag, but gives me a space. If I hit TAB, it does complete the tag, but focus shifts to the Link box. My vote would be to allow the space bar to complete the tag and allow addition of another tag.

Thanks!
-Todd
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:24 pm

toddclausen wrote:So far this preview seems pretty stable, I do have one small problem.

I like the tag auto suggest, but is there a way to enter the tag and then immediately add another? for example, if i start typing the first few letters of a tag and it shows up, how do I keep that tag and add another right away? If I hit enter, the note editor box closes. If I hit space it doesn't complete the tag, but gives me a space. If I hit TAB, it does complete the tag, but focus shifts to the Link box. My vote would be to allow the space bar to complete the tag and allow addition of another tag.

Thanks!

Hi Todd,
well, this is exacltly why I'm doing this preview)) excellent point. thanks!
Right now you can press End+Spacebar, or right arrow+spacebar to accept the suggested tag.
I guess I'll add spacebar here.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:52 pm

Added the special handling of spacebar after autocomplete. (see upd. attachment)
Alex
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:46 pm

I’m using this and like tag auto-complete and tag highlight.
I used Tag Replace on records selected by tag sidebar – I expected it only to operate on the visible records, but it operated on all records. Is this correct?
Also, I rubbed out a set of my tags by specifying a nul 2nd param to Tag Replace. Would a warning question be in order? It was my mistake, but it was tricky to recover.
Agree that highlight of relevant tags could be made more visible. Deeper colour or wider band?
Nod
Midas

Postby Midas » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:29 pm

I'm on this... :mrgreen:

First critter: shouldn't the 'Add/Remove Tags' dialog come up already populated with the tags present in the selected notes? It doesn't happen with present or previous CN version...
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:02 am

Noddy330 wrote:I’m using this and like tag auto-complete and tag highlight.
I used Tag Replace on records selected by tag sidebar – I expected it only to operate on the visible records, but it operated on all records. Is this correct?

Yes this is how it was intended to work, but now I realize that it's not that obvious. I thought that usually when you are reorganizing tags, you would want to change them all. Would operating on selection be more natural here?

Noddy330 wrote:Also, I rubbed out a set of my tags by specifying a nul 2nd param to Tag Replace. Would a warning question be in order? It was my mistake, but it was tricky to recover.

Yes, I agree, at least a warning yes/no message box is definitely called for here.

Noddy330 wrote:Agree that highlight of relevant tags could be made more visible. Deeper colour or wider band?
Maybe also a different tag text color, I'll experiment a little to see which one looks better.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:04 am

Midas wrote:First critter: shouldn't the 'Add/Remove Tags' dialog come up already populated with the tags present in the selected notes? It doesn't happen with present or previous CN version...

Hmmm, to autopopulate with all tags to remove it would be a bit dangerous, . Just press Enter and woops..
A better solution would be an auto-populated tag picker which is already on the roadmap.
Alex
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:13 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Noddy330 wrote:I’m using this and like tag auto-complete and tag highlight.

Yes this is how it was intended to work, but now I realize that it's not that obvious. I thought that usually when you are reorganizing tags, you would want to change them all. Would operating on selection be more natural here?

My first reaction was that it was wrong. I'm not sure now. Maybe a tick box in the Tag Replace dialogue - operate on all tags - operate only on selected / visible tags. What do others think?

Noddy330 wrote:Also, I rubbed out a set of my tags by specifying a nul 2nd param to Tag Replace. Would a warning question be in order? It was my mistake, but it was tricky to recover.

Yes, I agree, at least a warning yes/no message box is definitely called for here.

Sounds the safest option to me. Thanks. Maybe introduce a new command Delete Tags and only allow Tag Replace to replace one for one?

Noddy330 wrote:Agree that highlight of relevant tags could be made more visible. Deeper colour or wider band?

Maybe also a different tag text color, I'll experiment a little to see which one looks better.

Good. Thanks. Nod
Midas

Postby Midas » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:28 am

Midas wrote:First critter: shouldn't the 'Add/Remove Tags' dialog come up already populated with the tags present in the selected notes? It doesn't happen with present or previous CN version...

Hmmm, to autopopulate with all tags to remove it would be a bit dangerous, . Just press Enter and woops..
A better solution would be an auto-populated tag picker which is already on the roadmap.

You're absolutely right. That's not what I meant, I was thinking more of the 'Add tags:' field and completely disregarding the 'Remove tags:' field -- the way I thought it, if you press enter by mistake and in case one had selected more than one note, all selected notes would get tagged with the same tags (prior tag distribution differences would be leveled). On the other hand, maybe this way the two fields could be merged into just one, with some form of warning before execution.

But these are just my idle ideas, I defer to your better judgment... :|

EDIT: I think I might make this clearer using set theory terms, which I don't remember the notation anymore, so I'll try to formulate textually:
In my proposal, by pressing F4, the 'Add/Remove Tags' dialog would appear with the 'Add tags:' field auto-populated with a set composed by every tag present in the selected notes (selection = all notes => tag set = all tags; selection = some notes => tag set = tags present in selection).

toddclausen

Postby toddclausen » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:47 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Hi Todd,
well, this is exacltly why I'm doing this preview)) excellent point. thanks!
Right now you can press End+Spacebar, or right arrow+spacebar to accept the suggested tag.
I guess I'll add spacebar here.

Thanks Alex, this works great (for me at least)! Now hopefully someone won't see this as a bug...
-Todd
DStrohma

Postby DStrohma » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:47 am

would it be possible to get an option to CLOSE cintanotes when i press ESC and not to MINIMIZE? because with Executor i can start it faster then by clicking on the tray and it does not affect my memory when i dont need it.

also i dont see a reason in running it in the background all the time...

btw: great piece of software :D very helpful
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:21 pm

DStrohma wrote:would it be possible to get an option to CLOSE cintanotes when i press ESC and not to MINIMIZE? because with Executor i can start it faster then by clicking on the tray and it does not affect my memory when i dont need it.

also i dont see a reason in running it in the background all the time...

Hello! Please create a suggestion topic according to the rules here, and I will put it on the roadmap, and the users will be able to vote for this.
Thanks!
Alex
Doctor Panacea

Postby Doctor Panacea » Tue May 05, 2009 4:59 am

I just discovered this program a few days ago and downloaded Beta M9.

I really like it! This is just the kind of thing that I have been looking for.

In particular I like the hotkey Ctrl+F12 to automatically paste selected text.

It is really nice, too, to be able to type in tags and then find all the items in the database.

I am running Windows XP SP2 on a fairly elderly Dell laptop. No problems with the program so far.
Midas

[bug] Re: Beta M9 Preview is available!

Postby Midas » Tue May 19, 2009 3:33 pm

In this version, as in prior ones, the CN taskbar icon disappears when the shell process is restarted (either manually or because of a hangup), although the CN process keeps running -- you get the "Activated already running CintaNotes instance" message when you try to run CN... :geek:

I also have one machine where it just disappears on minimize; my guess this time is this is due to the fact the shell has been customized with XPize (http://www.xpize.org).

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: [bug] Re: Beta M9 Preview is available!

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon May 25, 2009 10:41 am

Midas wrote:In this version, as in prior ones, the CN taskbar icon disappears when the shell process is restarted (either manually or because of a hangup), although the CN process keeps running -- you get the "Activated already running CintaNotes instance" message when you try to run CN... :geek:

Midas, thanks for pointing this out. Could you tell which Window version it was, and if you were running it as admin?

I also have one machine where it just disappears on minimize; my guess this time is this is due to the fact the shell has been customized with XPize (http://www.xpize.org).

That's the most probable explanation. Which version of xpize is installed?
Alex
Midas

Re: [bug] Re: Beta M9 Preview is available!

Postby Midas » Mon May 25, 2009 11:07 am

Midas wrote:In this version, as in prior ones, the CN taskbar icon disappears when the shell process is restarted (either manually or because of a hangup), although the CN process keeps running -- you get the "Activated already running CintaNotes instance" message when you try to run CN... :geek:

Midas, thanks for pointing this out. Could you tell which Window version it was, and if you were running it as admin?

That's the most probable explanation. Which version of xpize is installed?

Windows XP SP2/3 on all machines, running as admin, but using CintaNotes portable. As for XPize, I still use the latest 4.7 Beta (recently relabeled full/stable, acording to http://www.xpize.net).

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”