Export notes from CintaNotes to SimpleNote

martinbetz

Export notes from CintaNotes to SimpleNote

Postby martinbetz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:01 am

Hello there,

I have used CintaNotes on my Windows machine for plenty months - and loved it.
But recently I had (and wanted) to migrate to Ubuntu Linux and unfortunately even with the help of Wine, CintaNotes does not work there.

So I need a good way to export my notes to SimpleNote:
Is there any way to convert the XML to multiple txt files? Or does anyone know the SQL query to get the job done? Or do you have any other ideas to export my notes to SimpleNote?

Cheers
Martin

Btw: I hope CintaNotes will have SimpleNote sync anytime soon, so I can use it on Windows, if I ever work with it again...
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Export notes from CintaNotes to SimpleNote

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:25 am

Hi Martin,
sorry to hear about you leaving CN)

Well unfortunatelly currently there's no way to do it other than use some scripting skills to process the XML file.
If you can wait a bit, then after the 1.7 release (~by July 15th) I'll write a small program that does it.

BTW how should the TXT files be named?
Alex
martinbetz

Postby martinbetz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:43 pm

Hey there,

thank you for the quick reply. And be assured: whenever I work on Windows, I will use CintaNotes. But as long as there is no version for Linux (yet), I have to migrate to other solutions.

I can of course wait for a script, and will be very pleased to export to any text files. I think the best naming would be "date_title.txt".

Thanks
Martin
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:53 am

It's no problem) As soon as I have something ready, I'll post a followup here.
Alex
Mario

Postby Mario » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:27 pm

I have had similar problems in the past. I do like Linux but in the end I miss all the good software written for Windows (that's why I have migrated to Linux and returned to Windows many times...).
If Wine does not work for CintaNotes, a viable option is to install Virtualbox in Linux and to run Windows applications within a virtualised environment.
It is easier and faster than you think. Also, I have often observed that the appearance of Windows applications is sometimes poor under Wine, while it is perfect using a virtualised environment.

Good luck!

Mario
danielson

Postby danielson » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:19 pm

Mario wrote:If Wine does not work for CintaNotes, a viable option is to install Virtualbox in Linux and to run Windows applications within a virtualised environment.
It is easier and faster than you think. Also, I have often observed that the appearance of Windows applications is sometimes poor under Wine, while it is perfect using a virtualised environment.

Mario

You've succeeded in making CN work with Virtualbox?
Not much familiar with VB (which looks complicated) does it capture data while still under Linux?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:40 pm

Hi Martin,

well the tool I spoke about is ready!
Please see here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1352
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”