The next big thing in CN - what are you waiting for?

ChrisCN

The next big thing in CN - what are you waiting for?

Postby ChrisCN » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:21 pm

After we got hierarchies - which I appreciate very much - I wonder what will be the next major feature we will get?
@Alex: Can you alread let us in on the secret which major enhancement we will get next?

The next major enhancement I am waiting for is:
http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/336 ... ategories/
Being able to give some tags a specific color - which should also be shown in the note list - will greatly enhance the visual presentation of the list of notes. I will be able to locate the "open task" or a "specific project" at a glance.

What are you waiting for?
danielson

Re: The next big thing in CN - what are you waiting for?

Postby danielson » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:06 pm

There's a bunch on the approved/planned list and i guess much of it depends on... time! ;)

But, i'm on the look out for SimpleNote sync (which i hope is still on the official planned list). :P
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:35 am

@Alex: Can you alread let us in on the secret which major enhancement we will get next?

Well, there's not a lot of things which we have decided firmly at the moment. But here is what I can share:
- we are already planning CintaNotes 2.0;
- before 2.0, no major features will be released. we will be fixing existing problems (esp. with text formatting) and improving stability and performance;
- next we'll be working on one or two of the following features: Tabs, SimpleNote sync, File and image attachments, Linking notes with each other, and maybe Encryption. We'll try to put 3-4 major new features into CN 2.0.

In a few days we'll be holding a meeting where the feature set for CN 2.0 will be decided. I'll keep you posted.
Thoughts/comments on what should be in CN 2.0 (with some logical and objective arguments, please, not just "because I need it"!) are welcome.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:10 pm

Alex,

thanks for sharing your future perspectives on CintaNotes.

CintaNotes Developer wrote: Tabs, SimpleNote sync, File and image attachments, Linking notes with each other, and maybe Encryption.

Well, it's hard not to mention those features that one "really needs now" ;)

Imo your suggestion sounds reasonable, because:
  • Tabs enhance the GUI
  • SimpleNote sync enhances mobililty
  • File and image attachements enhance functionality
  • Linking notes is one of my favorites ;)

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:41 pm

You're most welcome!
It's a real pity that we can't do everything at once ;)
BTW regarding colored notes, I'm still a bit hesitating on this because it's really easy to mess things up with colors.
So we are now trying to develop a cohesive strategy how should tags, tabs and colors play together.
Alex
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:15 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:(with some logical and objective arguments, please, not just "because I need it"!)
This is a difficult demand - it's what drives us users ;)

So here some general thoughts...
CintaNotes Developer wrote:BTW regarding colored notes, I'm still a bit hesitating on this because it's really easy to mess things up with colors. So we are now trying to develop a cohesive strategy how should tags, tabs and colors play together.
I agree 100% and I am very happy about your thoughtful approach. In general one big area that is missing in CN, is a way to get an easy overview over many notes. Color could give all the 'visual guys' a quick overview. I am no UI designer but at least I know what worked for me in other applications and I am sure you will deliver a more than useful solution.

Syncing is a difficult topic because there are so many different suggestions (everyone prefers the system he is currently using)
and most of them rely on a third party system which is to some extent not even free (ad supported or limited features).
I would prefer a service that:
- is free
- widely kown and approved
- will probably exist for a long time
- is developed with a similar spirit in mind as CintaNotes

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Linking notes is one of my favorites ;)
I agree with Thomas on that. It seems not too difficult to implement and would be very useful.

From your other suggestions I like encryption because it would broaden the field of application for CN.
We could also store sensitiv information.

File (especially image) attachments are not so important (to me) because it will not be possible
to embed images within a note (which would be a very cool and appreciated feature).

Thanks for your foresight and your willingness to share and discuss this things.
:D
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:38 am

ChrisCN wrote:File (especially image) attachments are not so important (to me) because it will not be possible
to embed images within a note (which would be a very cool and appreciated feature).

It will be possible, but just not directly in the text itself, so you won't have to think how the image should be placed, alignment etc.
But there will be image thumbnails, not just generic 'image' icons.

ChrisCN wrote:Thanks for your foresight and your willingness to share and discuss this things. :D

You're always welcome :mrgreen:
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”