Start with windows out of system tray

HJKL

Start with windows out of system tray

Postby HJKL » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:49 am

Is there any way to start cintanotes with windows but not have it put into the system tray? I've set the option "run at system startup" on and "minimize/close to system tray" off, which intuition tells me should do the trick. It seems counter intuitive to always have to fish cintanotes out of my system tray after boot, after which it behaves as I want it to for the rest of the session, ie it just sits in my task bar.

Thanks
Thomas Lohrum

Re: Start with windows out of system tray

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:22 am

The help file says: "Check Options / Startup / Run at system startup to have CintaNotes start automatically at the Windows startup. It will start minimized to the System Tray regardless of the Run Minimized option."

However you should be able to achieve what you want by changing a registry setting:
go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
remove the "-m" switch for the CintaNotes key

Thomas
HJKL

Postby HJKL » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:25 pm

That seems like it should be the logical default behaviour to me but obviously things are working as intended. Thanks Thomas!
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:06 pm

HJKL wrote:That seems like it should be the logical default behaviour to me but obviously things are working as intended. Thanks Thomas!

You're not the only one confused about this. I stumpled myself about this ;)
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:46 pm

Thomas, thanks a lot for stepping in here ;)
Probably this nuance should be made clearer in help or something) maybe any suggestions how this should work?
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:59 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Probably this nuance should be made clearer in help or something) maybe any suggestions how this should work?

Usually expectation is higher than the desire to read manuals ;)

How about the following:
  • drop the current option
  • introduce a new option to minimize CN to the tray when started with Windows
  • when starting CN from the command-line, windows explorer, etc. always have the main window open
  • when closing the main window always minimize to the tray
  • only File\Exit will actually terminate CN

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:01 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:
  • drop the current option
  • introduce a new option to minimize CN to the tray when started with Windows
  • when starting CN from the command-line, windows explorer, etc. always have the main window open
  • when closing the main window always minimize to the tray
  • only File\Exit will actually terminate CN

Thanks for the ideas Thomas!
I think that having two options "Start minimized" and "Start minimized on autostart" would still be confusing.
The first option can't really be removed since there are a lot of users who want CintaNotes
to always start minimized even when started manually.

About "Minimize to tray" - possibly a very good idea!
BTW, I'd like to know, is there anyone who actually keeps the "Minimize to tray" option off?
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:31 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote: think that having two options "Start minimized" and "Start minimized on autostart" would still be confusing.
What else could you do? If you can not drop the option, you'd probably have to go for the two.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:About "Minimize to tray" - possibly a very good idea!
Is "tray" really a term that many/all windows users are familiar with?

Thomas Lohrum wrote:BTW, I'd like to know, is there anyone who actually keeps the "Minimize to tray" option off?
Yes, i do. I have it turned off. In case i actually end and restart CN i want the main window to be visisble. A simple ESC will close, in case i don't need it right away.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:06 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:What else could you do? If you can not drop the option, you'd probably have to go for the two.

I could leave everything as it is) there's no guarantee that stirring things up wouldn't create even more confusion.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Is "tray" really a term that many/all windows users are familiar with?

The official Micorosoft name is "system notification area", and calling it "tray" is technically incorrect.
However I'm yet to meet someone who wouldn't understand what it is, and also "Minimize to Tray" is much nicer and shorter than "Minimize to System Notification Area".

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Yes, i do. I have it turned off. In case i actually end and restart CN i want the main window to be visisble. A simple ESC will close, in case i don't need it right away.

OK, thanks, good to know this ;)
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”