Free version half hierarchy support

HJKL

Free version half hierarchy support

Postby HJKL » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:55 am

Is there any way to revert to tag behaviour in the free version to how it was in versions <1.7?

I've been using CN for a while for GTD as described in this post: viewtopic.php?p=885#p885

The current half support for hierarchy in the free version is very annoying. I get "p" and "r" tags that act like hierarchical parents but aren't displayed as such. If I delete a "nested" tag (which isn't a concept I should really have on the free version since hierarchical tags is [commercial]) eg p/NDL, all the p/NDL tags are renamed to p instead of being removed.

Tagging is for non-hierarchical organization. I'm happy hierarchical tagging was implemented because it was such a demanded feature but I was even more pleased that it was a commerical feature because I thought it meant I wouldn't get it on my free version. Instead I have the same hierarchical backend with broken UX :-(

anything I can do?
thanks
Last edited by Midas on Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Internal link fixed...
SibRich

Re: Free version half hierarchy support

Postby SibRich » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:38 am

Thanks for the valuable feedback, there is no way to revert this functionality (that I know of at least) in 1.7(.1).

We try to keep CN flexible so it can work around how you work, rather than forcing you to work around the tool. But we can't always guess how people might be using the software or how they can use it in the future. But I see that you often provide good input for CN, do you try our beta versions? It would be great to get this sort of feedback during beta.

In this particular case, what is your preferred solution? To simply have a flag to 'turn off' hierarchy? We did consider allowing the user to change the hierarchy character from '/' to a user defined character. Perhaps that would be a working solution for you? I can't promise that we will make that change, but your preferences will certainly be considered.

Richard
HJKL

Re: Free version half hierarchy support

Postby HJKL » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:05 am

SibRich wrote:In this particular case, what is your preferred solution? To simply have a flag to 'turn off' hierarchy? We did consider allowing the user to change the hierarchy character from '/' to a user defined character. Perhaps that would be a working solution for you? I can't promise that we will make that change, but your preferences will certainly be considered.

The ability to choose your own hierarchy separator might actually be the best solution. That would give the added feature for people who desire hierarchy to use something like "projects > thing > docs" or "project \ thing \ docs" (if they're really into windows directory notation) and would let people who don't want it just set their separator to a character they rarely use.

Another thing that would be good, especially for new users, is at least some visual description of the hierarchy in the free version. It really only has to be tabbing child tags in slightly from their parent. Ideally it would be just how it looks on the commercial version for consistency but without the ability to expand/collapse

thanks for the tip on the betas, i'll start checking them out

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”