Database Structure

roland_cita

Database Structure

Postby roland_cita » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:05 pm

I am currently coding for some external tool something like a bugtracking and would like to use as well the Database-Structure of CintaNotes. The MAIN-idea would be to place there some notes and have access to it without my tool. Some kind of additional reminder.

Is it somewhere (briefly) described, how to insert e.g. a new entry into the database? e.g. new 'Topic' with 'blah-blah-bla-content' Or is this internal and no help provided?
Thomas Lohrum

Re: Database Structure

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:38 pm

It is a sqlite database. You can query its structure using standard tools. The same is true for manipulating its data. However i suggest to use the IMPORT feature instead. It is easy to create such a structure, e.g. using the XML-format. To retrieve the schema-format simply do an export of some note. You'll need the commercial version for that feature to use.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:26 pm

No it is not described and actually for a good reason: this is an internal format which may be changed in every new version of CN.
CN handles the DB upgrades itself and is always backward-compatible.
But this also means that becoming dependent on this format is hardly a good idea. So if it's an option (I'm still not sure I completely understand your intentions and direction of data exchange), you'd probably be better of with XML format, like Thomas suggests.

Of course if you're willing to accept the upgrading challenges, there's no problem: the DB structure is pretty straightforward.
If you have questions regarding specific tables or columns, you can ask here and it will be my pleasure to help.
Alex
Pacerier

Postby Pacerier » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:45 am

Hi Admin, where is the metadata for the notes stored? : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2285
---
yogi

Postby yogi » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:35 pm

Hi Alex,
maybe you consider some sort of simple CN-API.
Lets say a call to store a text to a new note, find a note, and retrive the content.
CN is such a versatil tool, probably other programmers find many applications for it.
I wrote a programm for astrology, but without a database for the client data. In this way I could use CN instead of programming a database system myself.
Kind regards
Yogi
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:18 am

Pacerier wrote:Hi Admin, where is the metadata for the notes stored? : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2285

Sorry for late reply, didn't see this question. What kind of metadata exactly do you mean?
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:18 am

yogi wrote:Hi Alex,
maybe you consider some sort of simple CN-API.
Lets say a call to store a text to a new note, find a note, and retrive the content.
CN is such a versatil tool, probably other programmers find many applications for it.
I wrote a programm for astrology, but without a database for the client data. In this way I could use CN instead of programming a database system myself.
Kind regards
Yogi

Do you mean a command-line API or something like a plugin system?
Alex
yogi

Postby yogi » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:51 pm

I thougt of some standart windows C DLL (not a c# dll) with functions which can be called from the other programm.
Yogi
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:03 pm

I see. Well, this is possible, but unless there is a really high demand for that, will hardly be implemented. You're welcome to prove demand by posting an idea to the roadmap though!
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”