CintaNotes Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:19 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.8
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:11 pm 
Site Admin

Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Posts: 2890
Sep 25, 2012 - Version 1.8

In this version:

Features:
  • "Expand All/Collapse All" context menu commands in the Tag Sidebar.
  • Keep supported text formatting on clip/paste from rich text enabled applications such as MS Word.
  • New commands in note editor: F5 to insert current timestamp, Shift+Enter to add a new paragraph to the current list item, Ctrl+Tab and Shift+Ctrl+Tab to indent/outdent text blocks.
Enhancements:
  • The "Display tag counts" feature is now available with the Basic license!
  • Support working with read-only databases.
  • Tag sidebar: Relevant tag marks are now affected also by the text search filter.
  • Tag sidebar: now remembers the last selection when reactivated.
  • Tag sidebar: Click on 'All' now doesn't reset the 'Display related tags only' mode.
  • Editor: added "editor.trimlines" settings file option to automatically remove trailing line whitespace on save.
  • Display fonts preview in the Note Appearance dialog.
  • Improved tag auto suggestion.
  • "Cut", "Copy", "Paste" and "Delete" context menu items in the search filter box.
  • Double click on a tag in any tag edit field selects the whole tag.
  • Note Properties dialog enhancements
    Default focus on Created Date, no more on-the-fly date validation.
  • Enhanced system window menu (right-click on app title icon).
  • Ctrl+R to toggle 'Display related tags only' mode.
  • Lists in exported XML and HTML are now be defined by tags.
  • Old tag name to appear in new name field of rename dialog.
Fixes:
  • Hugely degraded performance on bases with lots of deeply nested tags.
  • Note preview: wrong line breaks for mixed monospace and normal lines.
  • F3 behaved differently in the note editor compared to the notes list when having more than one search term.
  • Note properties dialog: created date was not saved for new notes.
  • Strange selected notes after removing tag.
  • Wrong URL highlighting when using german umlauts.
  • Various window focusing issues.
  • Various search related issues.
  • Certain text was disappearing from note preview.
  • Key shortcuts in popup menu were not properly aligned.
  • Crash on search with 0 results + Down Arrow + Alt+Enter.
  • Was not possible to add multiple non-autodeleted tags through the New Tag dialog.
  • Unnecessary tags present in exported XML.
  • On Ctrl+BkSp only first tag was expanded in the Tag Sidebar tree.
  • Buttons in notebook message dialog were too narrow for some languages.
  • Strange tag display when searching with 0 results and "Display related tags only" is on.
  • Not possible to switch 'display related tags only' mode with negated tag selection.
  • Tags disappear on Alt+Click when 'Display only related tags' mode is on.
  • Wrong indentation of wrapped bullet list lines.
  • Numbered list numbers could not be deleted with DEL.
  • Editor: Table formatting was not stripped on paste.
  • Removed repeated parent tags in exported HTML.
  • Editor window repaint artefacts when opening a specific note maximized.
  • Editor: dates label not painted if window configured to open maximized.
  • Wrong line breaking in note preview for specific text.

Download:
Installable: CintaNotes_1_8_Setup.exe
Portable: CintaNotes_1_8.zip

_________________
Alex


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.8
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:49 pm 

Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:15 am
Posts: 788
Hi Alex,

thank you a lot for that huge maintenance release bringing lots of fixes and smaller enhancements to us!!!

Special thanks for the new "editor.trimlines" option. I confirm spaces become removed when closing (and saving) a note. However there were two minor bugs introduced:
  • After saving a note with URLs and reopening it, the URL highlighting is misplaced. Workaround: You have to close and open again to fix this.
  • Also i have notes, that have format with underlined text. That underlining is also misplaced, but won't get fixed by the above workaround. The misplacement remains.

I confirm the following bugs fixed:
  • fixed: auto-indent is broken
  • fixed: pasting text to the title will copy twice
  • fixed: pasting text from CN to a plain editor will copy all content
  • fixed: hierachical tags appear twice in html export
  • fixed: F3 behaves differently in notes list compared to note's editor

Thomas


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.8
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:10 am 

Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:15 am
Posts: 788
Thomas Lohrum wrote:
After saving a note with URLs and reopening it, the URL highlighting is misplaced. Workaround: You have to close and open again to fix this.
I was able to reproduce this by creating a new note in 1.8.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:
Also i have notes, that have format with underlined text. That underlining is also misplaced, but won't get fixed by the above workaround. The misplacement remains.
This bug concerns me, because it is unclear, whether this can be fixed using a software update only. Is it actually messing up my note formats and i'll manually have to clean up after a fix is released?

Thomas


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.8
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:03 am 

Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:20 am
Posts: 182
Hi Alex

Thanks for this version - which includes much appreciated enhancements.

I found 2 problems but maybe those are not new to this specific version:

1) global "clip text hot key" does not copy the text from firefox (works from other applications)

2) global "clip text hot key" seems to change clipboard content to plain text only?
step1: copy (CTRL+C) a formatted text from Outlook or IE
step2: switch to a note and paste the content into the note (CTRL+V) -> formatted text got inserted
step3: use the global "clip text hot key"
step4: try to use the same clipboard content like before to insert it into a note (CTRL+V) -> formatting got lost


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.8
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:45 am 
Site Admin

Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Posts: 2890
Thomas Lohrum wrote:
After saving a note with URLs and reopening it, the URL highlighting is misplaced. Workaround: You have to close and open again to fix this.

I confirm, thanks. We'll fix this soon.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:
Also i have notes, that have format with underlined text. That underlining is also misplaced, but won't get fixed by the above workaround. The misplacement remains.
This bug concerns me, because it is unclear, whether this can be fixed using a software update only. Is it actually messing up my note formats and i'll manually have to clean up after a fix is released?

Yes, it is unfortunately corrupiting text formatting info, so I suggest turning editor.trimlines off (was good thing to make it off by default) until we issue a fix (probably on Monday-Tuesday).

_________________
Alex


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.8
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:51 am 
Site Admin

Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Posts: 2890
ChrisCN wrote:
global "clip text hot key" does not copy the text from firefox (works from other applications)

Sorry Chris, can't reproduce this. Do you reliably get the same behavior? Have you tried restarting FF or your PC?
What clipping setting do you have (silent, view untagged, etc.)?

ChrisCN wrote:
global "clip text hot key" seems to change clipboard content to plain text only?
step1: copy (CTRL+C) a formatted text from Outlook or IE
step2: switch to a note and paste the content into the note (CTRL+V) -> formatted text got inserted
step3: use the global "clip text hot key"
step4: try to use the same clipboard content like before to insert it into a note (CTRL+V) -> formatting got lost


That's a rather involved scenario, but I was able to reproduce it. It is also not a new problem - it was there since the very first version.
CN uses clipboard for clipping and after that tried to restore old clipboard contents, but only CF_TEXT.
To overcome this, CN would have to backup all clipboard formats available and restore them afterwards. It is not very simple to do,
so probably it won't get implemented right away. But I'll put into the issue tracker.

_________________
Alex


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.8
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:57 am 

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:44 am
Posts: 3
Today CintaNotes (1.7.1) automatically found update (1.8), so I updated.
After update it works 2 seconds, and then quits without any error message
I even tried to restart my laptop, or put cintanotes executable to another location (to let it think that it's a new installation) - still no luck
I'm using Win7, 32bit and all previous versions worked fine.
Should I pay something to make it work?


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.8
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:07 pm 

Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:20 am
Posts: 182
CintaNotes Developer wrote:
ChrisCN wrote:
global "clip text hot key" does not copy the text from firefox (works from other applications)

Sorry Chris, can't reproduce this. Do you reliably get the same behavior? Have you tried restarting FF or your PC?
What clipping setting do you have (silent, view untagged, etc.)?
You were right - after restarting the PC the text gets copied from Firefox too (without formatting).

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
ChrisCN wrote:
global "clip text hot key" seems to change clipboard content to plain text only?
step1: copy (CTRL+C) a formatted text from Outlook or IE
step2: switch to a note and paste the content into the note (CTRL+V) -> formatted text got inserted
step3: use the global "clip text hot key"
step4: try to use the same clipboard content like before to insert it into a note (CTRL+V) -> formatting got lost

That's a rather involved scenario, but I was able to reproduce it. It is also not a new problem - it was there since the very first version.
CN uses clipboard for clipping and after that tried to restore old clipboard contents, but only CF_TEXT.
To overcome this, CN would have to backup all clipboard formats available and restore them afterwards. It is not very simple to do,
so probably it won't get implemented right away. But I'll put into the issue tracker.
It was a strange behaviour that I noticed accidentally. This is NOT a thing I usually do and this behaviour is NOT a real problem for me.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.8
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:55 pm 
I am using Stripmyrights throughout a range of programs and CintaNotes is one of them. Since the update to 1.8 CintaNotes complains about a Debugger and quits. That is however only due to the way Stripmyrights works when using the registry to launch the program.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.8
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:54 pm 
Site Admin

Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Posts: 2890
soulja wrote:
Today CintaNotes (1.7.1) automatically found update (1.8), so I updated.
After update it works 2 seconds, and then quits without any error message
I even tried to restart my laptop, or put cintanotes executable to another location (to let it think that it's a new installation) - still no luck
I'm using Win7, 32bit and all previous versions worked fine.
Should I pay something to make it work?


Hi soulja,
this is most probably a bug and you don't have to pay to use the Basic License.
Would you please try the attached version? It should give us some clue on what's going on there. Thanks!


Attachments:
CintaNotes_1_8_1_Beta0.zip [1.99 MiB]
Downloaded 296 times

_________________
Alex
Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.8
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Posts: 2890
ChrisCN wrote:
You were right - after restarting the PC the text gets copied from Firefox too (without formatting).

Phew.. Well it's supposed to be without formatting, since only IE is kind enough to place data into clipboard in RTF format ;)

ChrisCN wrote:
It was a strange behaviour that I noticed accidentally. This is NOT a thing I usually do and this behaviour is NOT a real problem for me.

Good to know that, but thanks anyway ;)

_________________
Alex


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.8
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Posts: 2890
Guest wrote:
I am using Stripmyrights throughout a range of programs and CintaNotes is one of them. Since the update to 1.8 CintaNotes complains about a Debugger and quits. That is however only due to the way Stripmyrights works when using the registry to launch the program.

The version 1.7.1 has unfortunately been cracked, this is why we had to increase the protection in 1.8. Sorry that it's not without side effects.
Would running CN without Stripmyrights be absolutely out of the question for you?

_________________
Alex


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.8
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:58 pm 
Moderator

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:40 am
Posts: 370
CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Guest wrote:
I am using Stripmyrights throughout a range of programs and CintaNotes is one of them. Since the update to 1.8 CintaNotes complains about a Debugger and quits. That is however only due to the way Stripmyrights works when using the registry to launch the program.

The version 1.7.1 has unfortunately been cracked, this is why we had to increase the protection in 1.8. Sorry that it's not without side effects.

I get the same error when I try to run v1.80 in Windows XP x64 SP2, the current OS on my laptop... :(


Attachments:
CintaNotes_1_8_launch_error.png
CintaNotes_1_8_launch_error.png [ 5.65 KiB | Viewed 4684 times ]

_________________
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.8
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:52 am 

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:44 am
Posts: 3
CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Would you please try the attached version? It should give us some clue on what's going on there. Thanks!

Good news, everyone, this one works abt 10 seconds.
What kind of info/logs/traces I can provide to help you analyze the issue?


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.8
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:50 am 

Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:20 am
Posts: 182
Unfortunately I found a way to crash CN.
Every time I try to change the Date of an existing note (Created or Modified) using the 'date picker' CN crashes.
I already tried to restart my PC.

Is this a general bug - can someone else reproduce it?


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.8
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:54 am 
Site Admin

Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Posts: 2890
Guys, please try this version!
Should be fixed:
- Font issues
- Date picker bug
- Quitting after 10 sec problem
- Text formatting skewing with space trimming.

Thanks!

_________________
Alex


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.8
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:57 am 

Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:15 am
Posts: 788
ChrisCN wrote:
Unfortunately I found a way to crash CN. Every time I try to change the Date of an existing note (Created or Modified) using the 'date picker' CN crashes. I already tried to restart my PC.
Is this a general bug - can someone else reproduce it?

Chris, this has already been reported. Alex has just released a new version, that he supposes will fix the issue.

Thomas


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.8
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:25 am 

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:44 am
Posts: 3
CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Guys, please try this version!

Aha, finally it seems to be ok, thanks a lot!


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.8
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:55 am 

Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:20 am
Posts: 182
@Thomas: thanks - missed that info
@Alex: thanks - can confirm date picker ist working again

:D


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.8
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:29 pm 

Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:15 am
Posts: 788
Hi Alex,

i installed your latest beta. I confirm the date picker bug fixed. I didn't do any further testing though. It appears that any note i open becomes saved automatically. The note will be saved only once. But it is not acceptable, that notes get updated without any changes from my side. Even the ones that i have created this morning. I installed the (unstable) 1.8 release again. Sorry to say, but this time it is no joy to test the betas. I hope you can come up with a more stable release soon, for the 1.8.x series has so many valuable fixes and enhancements.

Thomas

PS: i didn't change the editor.trimlines settings, that is editor.trimlines is zero


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group