[Ann] CintaNotes 1.8

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.8

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:56 am

soulja wrote:Aha, finally it seems to be ok, thanks a lot!

Good to hear that! You're welcome.

Thomas Lohrum wrote: It appears that any note i open becomes saved automatically. The note will be saved only once.

I confirm. We'll fix this asap, thanks.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Sorry to say, but this time it is no joy to test the betas. I hope you can come up with a more stable release soon, for the 1.8.x series has so many valuable fixes and enhancements.

I know and sorry for that. My mistake was to skip 1.7.2 and put so many enhancements into one release. When releases are of smaller granularity, the bug count can be better kept at bay.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:01 am

Thomas, more to the unwanted save problem.. do notes that don't contain any links in the text get saved too?
I have changed the URL recognition code, so it can happen that URLs are recognized differently (hopefully better) now, and this is why they get saved.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:34 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Thomas, more to the unwanted save problem.. do notes that don't contain any links in the text get saved

Yes.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:49 am

Thomas, could you please try this version?
I haven't been able to reproduce this effect on notes without links, so it's possible the problem is still there..
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:19 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Thomas, could you please try this version?
I haven't been able to reproduce this effect on notes without links, so it's possible the problem is still there..

Yes, it's still there. I'll send you a test note by eMail.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:21 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:
CintaNotes Developer wrote:Thomas, could you please try this version?

Yes, it's still there. I'll send you a test note by eMail.

That'd help, thanks. If possible, also the settings file could help as well.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:40 am

Thomas, thanks for the files.
I've found the culprit. The settings file was the key.
The problem was that you use Courier New both as main note font and monospace font.
On closing the edit dialog, it has analyzed note contents and discovered that the text has "become" monospace! :)

Here is the version where it should be finally fixed.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:08 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Thomas, thanks for the files.
I've found the culprit. The settings file was the key.
The problem was that you use Courier New both as main note font and monospace font.
On closing the edit dialog, it has analyzed note contents and discovered that the text has "become" monospace! :)

We had that issue before with 1.5,1.6???? Nevertheless i have sent you an eMail with more details.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:19 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:We had that issue before with 1.5,1.6???? Nevertheless i have sent you an eMail with more details.

We hadn't, but only due to mere luck ;)
Anyway, here it should be finally fixed: http://cintanotes.com/private/beta/Cint ... _Beta4.zip
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 1.8 beta 4

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:52 am

Hi Alex,

seems that with beta 4 you finally did the job! Now i can finally use the 1.8 beta - and i will use it :)
Thank's for the update!

Confirmed:
  • fixed: notes become saved without any true changes
    I did some extensive tests to this. I opened more than 100 new and old notes. Not a single one was saved by accident. I also checked editing and undoing those changes myself. I also tested the date editor. Now, it works really nice.
  • fixed: underlined text is misplaced
  • fixed: url highlighting is misplaced

editor.trimlines=1
  • notes not saved incidentally, when removing spaces is the only change :)
  • remove spaces and save manually :)
  • tiny bug when saving a note inside the editor; see example below

Example:
  • open a note that has some unwanted spaces, for example because of the old auto-indent behaviour
  • don't change anything yourself
  • save the note using ctrl+s (the note editor remains open)
  • the cursor jumps to the end of the previous line
  • now press arrow down ---> nothing happens, this is the bug
  • press arrow down again ---> now it is ok

Alex, has the width of the tag bar increased when using hierachical tags? I think the presentation has changed over 1.8.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:05 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:seems that with beta 4 you finally did the job! Now i can finally use the 1.8 beta - and i will use it :)

Great)

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Example:
open a note that has some unwanted spaces, for example because of the old auto-indent behaviour

Can't reproduce this, sorry. Do you have more than one line? Which lines have extra spaces? In which line is the caret? Should arrow down move the caret to the next line or to the Tags field?
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:07 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Alex, has the width of the tag bar increased when using hierachical tags? I think the presentation has changed over 1.8.

Over 1.8 - no. But in 1.8 here's been 1 pixel added to the related tags marker (while experimenting with "Click on the marker to toggle related-tags-only mode"), which I forgot to remove. Thanks for reminding!
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:09 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Can't reproduce this, sorry. Do you have more than one line? Which lines have extra spaces? In which line is the caret? Should arrow down move the caret to the next line or to the Tags field?

Example:
* line1
__line2
__ <---- two spaces created through auto-indent
* line4
__line5

When saving the caret jumps behind "line2" and sticks there. It should stay in the same line, but move to column 1.
Last edited by Thomas Lohrum on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:25 pm

Alex,

there is a general issue with the trimlines settings. I usually save periodically while editing a note. With the current implementation the caret might change its position, though i am not finished with the note and want to continue editing. I know this request is contrary to my original report. It happens that i realize this while i am able to use the feature now. I think it would be less disruptive, if the trimming would happen only when closing the note editor window. This would also solve the reported problem with the caret getting stuck. The feature must distinguish two situations: 1.) the user opens a note and edit its content. Optionally the user might do a manual save (ctrl+s). Now, when the user closes the window (esc or ctrl+enter) trimming should occur. In case the user had saved the note before, this means the note will be saved a second time. 2.) the user opens a note and closes the window without any changes. In that case, trimming should not occur and the note content must not be saved.

What do you think?

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:03 pm

Thomas,
please try http://cintanotes.com/files/CintaNotes_1_8_1.zip
The caret should behave better there.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:33 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Thomas,
please try http://cintanotes.com/files/CintaNotes_1_8_1.zip
The caret should behave better there.

Yes, thanks. It fixes that minor issue i reported first. Did you read my follow post from 14:25?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:37 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:It fixes that minor issue i reported first. Did you read my follow post from 14:25?

Yes, and I tend to believe you if you say it'd be better not to trim spaces on manual save.
But we will have to fix this later, as I'm releasing 1.8.1 today and I don't want to make any more last-minute changes)
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:48 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Thomas Lohrum wrote:It fixes that minor issue i reported first. Did you read my follow post from 14:25?
Yes, and I tend to believe you if you say it'd be better not to trim spaces on manual save. But we will have to fix this later, as I'm releasing 1.8.1 today and I don't want to make any more last-minute changes)

That's fine with me. Thank you. Good luck with 1.8.1. The release should finally solve many issues beta testers had reported over the last two weeks.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:41 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:That's fine with me. Thank you. Good luck with 1.8.1. The release should finally solve many issues beta testers had reported over the last two weeks.

Thanks. 1.8.2 is planned for Oct 15th and it will already have this behavior (don't trim on manual save).
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”