[Ann] CintaNotes 2.0 early preview - Tabs & Links to notes

ChrisCN

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.0 early preview - Tabs & Links to not

Postby ChrisCN » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:57 am

Noddy330 wrote:I’ve not thought this through fully, and so it may be a flawed suggestion, but what if TABS were just promoted TAGS. Or maybe promoted top-level TAGS. Having promoted a TAG to a TAB, you would also be able to demote it back to a TAG. Call them all TAGS for simplicity – the difference being some are listed at the side and some are listed at the top. Add a note to a TAB by selecting its name in the TAG box. Simple? Elegant? Or may be not. But however it works I can see many uses. Bring it on. Nod

I like this idea very much - and as I said in another post:
At the moment - I don't know what this sections are?
(I created some sections but there have been no corresponding database files created!?)

Are sections 'parts' of the same database - or are they just different database files loaded at the same time
(both approaches have their dis/advantages).
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:59 am

Mark S. wrote:Changing note sort order when a filter is active always causes an error box ("class error...") though after the box is cleared, the new order is applied and everything seems to work.

Confirmed, thanks. Will be fixed as well.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:01 am

Mark S. wrote:A tag filter set in "All" overwrites the filters in each tab section.
Likewise, a tag filter set in any tab section becomes the active filter when you switch to "All".

I think "All" should be treated like any other tab section. The filters you set there should have no bearing on the tag filters you set in the tab sections and vice-versa.

Thanks,
Mark

This was actually thought of as a "feature". "All" is not really a section - it is a toggle _button_ that adds to selection all sections which are not selected. Without this feature, the following scenario will happen: say you don't remember in what exact section the note is, so click on "All" to find it. After you locate it, you go to the target section - but oh, the old filter and selection of that section was restored and you have to search for the note again.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:06 am

ChrisCN wrote:Just tried to start a few tests but failed to split may main DB into seperate files.
I did a selection of notes and an export to XML.
Opened a new tab and tried to import it again.
--> ERROR :" The programm has encountered an error during import. Precondition failes: app::model::Notebook::addImportNotes!notes.empty()
Maybe this was my fault - I am not very experienced with this feature.

Well as I said the import/export support for sectons is not ready yet..

ChrisCN wrote:If I do a tag selection in one tab and a different filter on another tab
this selection/filter is preserved when switching between those tabs.
BUT: If I change to tab ALL and then back to the other tabs -> all get the filter/selection now ALL uses.

This again stems from the fact that "All" is not a section, but simply a toggle button that (de)selects all sections.
The filter applies to all sections being selected.
I wonder maybe it would be better to remove it, since it is so confusing? Just leave the "Select All" context menu command and the Ctrl+` shortcut.

A bit more on why "All" can't be a section:
Between sections and notes there's a 1:N relationship by design - it differentiates sections from tags and also allows to uniquely color the notes. Say a note is in section "Section1". But it will also appear when you select "All", so the 1:N relationship will be violated. This is why "All" can't be a section in itself - it is a merely a shortcut for adding all sections to selection.

ChrisCN wrote:I just noticed that I possibly misunderstood the section/tab feature.
Does every section represent a new CN-database-file?

No, sections are divisions inside of a single db file (if they were separate db files, there would be no need to call them "sections" ;) )
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:17 am

ChrisCN wrote:I opened my main db file with the new version
opened an existing note
tried to insert a Note-Link using the context menu
and get the ERROR: class err::InvalidArgumentException Precondition failed: gdi::Rect::Rect left <= right

Sorry Chris I can't reproduce this:(
Does this happen on a clean database as well?
Alex
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:24 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
ChrisCN wrote:I just noticed that I possibly misunderstood the section/tab feature.
Does every section represent a new CN-database-file?

No, sections are divisions inside of a single db file (if they were separate db files, there would be no need to call them "sections" ;) )

Ok so what is the recommanded way to move a selection of notes from one section to another?

Regarding the 'nature' of section:
So aside from beeing a different visual way to present a subset of notes,
what is the idea behind using a different concept than tags?
How can I use this to my advantage
(why wouldn't we want to define a new section by specifying which tag selection is should represent)?

No harm meant - just trying to understand the concept.
(This is basically the same 'idea' Noddy330 mentioned).
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:26 am

ChrisCN wrote:I opened my main db file with the new version
opened an existing note
tried to insert a Note-Link using the context menu
and get the ERROR: class err::InvalidArgumentException Precondition failed: gdi::Rect::Rect left <= right

Sorry Chris I can't reproduce this:(
Does this happen on a clean database as well?

Yes
new database
new note
same error
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:31 am

Mark S. wrote:A tag filter set in "All" overwrites the filters in each tab section.
Likewise, a tag filter set in any tab section becomes the active filter when you switch to "All".

I think "All" should be treated like any other tab section. The filters you set there should have no bearing on the tag filters you set in the tab sections and vice-versa.

Thanks,
Mark

This was actually thought of as a "feature". "All" is not really a section - it is a toggle _button_ that adds to selection all sections which are not selected. Without this feature, the following scenario will happen: say you don't remember in what exact section the note is, so click on "All" to find it. After you locate it, you go to the target section - but oh, the old filter and selection of that section was restored and you have to search for the note again.

I think I would be happy that I found the note und would work with it, without trying to find it again in the corresponding section.
But this feature is new and maybe - after some time - I would like this feature as it is - not sure at the moment. Maybe this could be an option?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:34 am

Noddy330 wrote:I’ve not thought this through fully, and so it may be a flawed suggestion, but what if TABS were just promoted TAGS. Or maybe promoted top-level TAGS. Having promoted a TAG to a TAB, you would also be able to demote it back to a TAG. Call them all TAGS for simplicity – the difference being some are listed at the side and some are listed at the top. Add a note to a TAB by selecting its name in the TAG box. Simple? Elegant? Or may be not. But however it works I can see many uses. Bring it on. Nod

Nod, this idea unfortunately has a couple of inherent problems:
- Basically you're suggesting two visual representations for the same program concept. Sections are a way to manage disjoint sets of notes: different projects, home/work, archive, etc. Every time when you need an isolated pool of notes, you create a section. Tags don't offer this isolation - they always throw your notes into the common pool.
- It removes the requirement of 1:N relationship. As a consequence, it won't be possible to uniquely determine the note color.
- Some people won't understand that if they see the same note in two different tabs, it is really the same note and not two copies. So they will be really surprised if they delete the note in one tab and later won't find it in another.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:43 am

ChrisCN wrote:I think I would be happy that I found the note und would work with it, without trying to find it again in the corresponding section.
But this feature is new and maybe - after some time - I would like this feature as it is - not sure at the moment. Maybe this could be an option?

No, I don't think an option would make sense here. To avoid frustration, the program model and the user's mental model should be in sync from the get-go.
The real problem I suppose is that "All" looks like it is a (special) section, but it is not.
Have you noticed that when you click on "All" every tab becomes active?
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:49 am

ChrisCN wrote:Yes
new database
new note
same error

Then it's probably something with your screen config.
What resolution you have? Do you have multiple monitors?
Could you please also activate the debug mode (in Help/Debug) and send me the produced log file?
A screenshot would be good too.
Thanks a lot!
Alex
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:14 am

ChrisCN wrote:Yes
new database
new note
same error

Then it's probably something with your screen config.
What resolution you have? Do you have multiple monitors?
Could you please also activate the debug mode (in Help/Debug) and send me the produced log file?
A screenshot would be good too.
Thanks a lot!

YES! I am using 2 monitors and I switched back to using only one and the problem/error was gone.
-> so multiple monitors seem to cause the problem
(do you still need additional infos (log file)?

P.S.: I just noticed that it's enough to move the application window to the primary monitor
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:18 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:The real problem I suppose is that "All" looks like it is a (special) section, but it is not.
Have you noticed that when you click on "All" every tab becomes active?
Yes, I have ;)
I would say: let's give it a try- maybe it was just unfamiliar and we get used to.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:24 am

ChrisCN wrote:YES! I am using 2 monitors and I switched back to using only one and the problem/error was gone.
-> so multiple monitors seem to cause the problem

Chris, no more info needed, thanks a lot! I was able to reproduce the problem and we are already working on a fix.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:32 am

ChrisCN wrote:Ok so what is the recommanded way to move a selection of notes from one section to another?

For now, Ctrl+X and Ctrl+V (but beware: tags are not copied, this is a bug).
In the final release there will be a separate "Move/To section..." command added to the note's context menu in the notes list.

ChrisCN wrote:Regarding the 'nature' of section:
So aside from beeing a different visual way to present a subset of notes,
what is the idea behind using a different concept than tags?
How can I use this to my advantage
(why wouldn't we want to define a new section by specifying which tag selection is should represent)

Please see my reply to Noddy above.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:34 am

ChrisCN wrote:I would say: let's give it a try- maybe it was just unfamiliar and we get used to.

OK, I'll be looking forward to the final verdict from you then ;)
Alex
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:44 pm

:?: Is the location of the database file part of the link information?
- is it relative or absolute?
- what if the portable app folder has different drive names on different machines?
- what can't be done without breaking the link (move, rename,...)?

Thanks
Chris
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:47 pm

Nod, this idea unfortunately has a couple of inherent problems:
- Basically you're suggesting two visual representations for the same program concept. Sections are a way to manage disjoint sets of notes: different projects, home/work, archive, etc. Every time when you need an isolated pool of notes, you create a section. Tags don't offer this isolation - they always throw your notes into the common pool.
- It removes the requirement of 1:N relationship. As a consequence, it won't be possible to uniquely determine the note color.
- Some people won't understand that if they see the same note in two different tabs, it is really the same note and not two copies. So they will be really surprised if they delete the note in one tab and later won't find it in another.

Ahh, OK, I see - they are 'disjoint sets', so they are like virtual databases then? Nod
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:25 pm

Can we have a button or dropdown on each tab to change the sort order and display the current sort order?
Nod
Last edited by Noddy330 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:30 pm

Can we have a better indicator of the currently selected TAB? maybe display the name in bold?

Nod

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”