[Ann] CintaNotes 2.0 early preview - Tabs & Links to notes

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.0 early preview - Tabs & Links to not

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:01 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:To me it would be ok to have the item available in the context-menu of title and text only. Probably because i'll use the shortcut most of the times. Btw, the context-menu of the title is missing "Insert Date and Time F5".
As you notice the context menu of the title is standard Windows. If we replace it with our own, we'll lose all those Unicode commands - and maybe some people already depend on them?
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:03 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Why would you want to select a link in first place anyway? You can just move the mouse cursor over the link, right-click and there we go. At this point CN could/should select the link itself. If the user selects some text, we should not do some kind of auto snapping, unless we consider word boundaries. That is spaces, etc. before/after the link.

Well now right-clicking doesn't work - the context menu always refers to the caret and current selection.
Probably a right click should move the caret before displaying the context menu.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:06 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:You suggest:
Create Note Link
Retarget Note Link
Delete Note Link
Copy Note Link
Convert Link to Text

No, I don't suggest "Convert Link To Text", you are suggesting it ;) I think that you should use a simple "Delete" (the one with the red X) for deleting the link together with text, and "Delete Note Link" for converting the link to text.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Uups, while reading my post over and over again, i begin to like your suggestion. I just laugh about myself :) Ok, maybe you're right. Of course feel free to consider my suggestion. What would we use for "convert link to text"? Maybe "Remove Target from Note Link". Though, maybe with this last single item we could stick with "Convert Link to Text". It appears to be more understandable.

As I already said, there's no need for "Convert Link to Text" at all ;)
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:08 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:So i need to delete the remaining text myself? Not sure, whether this will be easy to understand or not. At least we could do the following: select the link's caption, so that after deleting the link (removing the target) it takes me a single key press to delete the selection.

If you want to delete the link together with its text, you just select "X Delete" :)
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:09 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Today i noticed, that i have two entries in the file menu, though i only have one database.
1 cintanotes.db
2 C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\CintaNotes\cintanotes.db

And where is cintanotes.exe located? In Program Files?
No.2 probably came from running CN normally, No.1 - from you running CN as admin.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:11 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:
CintaNotes Developer wrote:Hopefully in the next beta we will have the SimpleNote sync ready for testing as well - are you planning to use this functionality?

No. Where should i sync to? I use one device only. Especially i don't want my data stored somewhere in the cloud. That's one of the major reasons i use CN, because the data is on my machine, where it belongs to :)

Ok, so you must think that this feature will only increase the bloating, right? )
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:00 am

ChrisCN wrote:What about using external links?
If I click a link to a CN note - lets say 'in Outlook' -> must the corresponding database be loaded into CN to work?

External links are treated in the same way, so yes, it must.
(I want to stress that it's not required to be active, but it should be listed in the File menu.)
Alex
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:05 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
ChrisCN wrote:What about using external links?
If I click a link to a CN note - lets say 'in Outlook' -> must the corresponding database be loaded into CN to work?

External links are treated in the same way, so yes, it must.
(I want to stress that it's not required to be active, but it should be listed in the File menu.)

So if I understand you aright...
After renaming/moving a database file the only prerequisite is that afterwards the file at least has got loaded once in CN
(which sounds like a reasonable and convenient solution) - right?
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:20 am

Just noticed that if I insert a link to a note in Outlook (Mail) it is not recognized as a link (not clickable).
The screenshot shows the difference to a link inserted from MS-OneNote...
Attachments
Link2CNinOutlook.png
Link2CNinOutlook.png (63.07 KiB) Viewed 17280 times
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:50 am

ChrisCN wrote:Just noticed that if I insert a link to a note in Outlook (Mail) it is not recognized as a link (not clickable).

I can not confirm. It works fine for me using Outlook 2010. Are you sure, the link protocol is registered correctly? Which Office Version are you using?
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:10 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:
ChrisCN wrote:Just noticed that if I insert a link to a note in Outlook (Mail) it is not recognized as a link (not clickable).

I can not confirm. It works fine for me using Outlook 2010. Are you sure, the link protocol is registered correctly? Which Office Version are you using?

Thanks for the confirmation that this is not a general problem.
I reregistered the protocol and now it is working :)
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:24 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Remark: I think cluttering of the context menu is no problem, because items like "Edit link target", "Delete link" or "Convert link to text" will be available only, when the caret is on a link anyway.

The caret or the mouse? Or both?

Various situations can occur:
  • Caret on a link using the keyboard to open the context menu
    offer link support for the caret's link, no matter where the mouse cursor is placed
  • Mouse cursor over a link, right-click the mouse to open context menu
    offer link support for the link on which the mouse is over, no matter where the caret is placed
  • Caret on a link, but mouse not over a link, right-click the mouse to open the context menu
    no support for links here
  • Caret not on a link and mouse not over a link
    no support for links here
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:30 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:To me it would be ok to have the item available in the context-menu of title and text only. Probably because i'll use the shortcut most of the times. Btw, the context-menu of the title is missing "Insert Date and Time F5".
As you notice the context menu of the title is standard Windows. If we replace it with our own, we'll lose all those Unicode commands - and maybe some people already depend on them?

Yes, i noticed. Actually the design is not continous, because the notes text context menu does not offer Unicode support. If you're really into Unicode support, shouldn't both menus offer such support? Anyway, i'd like to see continous menus for Cintanotes' GUI, that is both title and text should contain "insert date and time F5" and "Copy Note Link Ctrl+Alt+C". Remember, one user actually asked whether F5 is supported inside the title or not, just because he didn't try and could not find the context menu either.
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:33 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Why would you want to select a link in first place anyway? You can just move the mouse cursor over the link, right-click and there we go. At this point CN could/should select the link itself. If the user selects some text, we should not do some kind of auto snapping, unless we consider word boundaries. That is spaces, etc. before/after the link.

Well now right-clicking doesn't work - the context menu always refers to the caret and current selection.
Probably a right click should move the caret before displaying the context menu.

OK, that might solve other issues discussed all over that post ;) We should give it a try.
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:38 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:You suggest:
Create Note Link
Retarget Note Link
Delete Note Link
Copy Note Link
Convert Link to Text

No, I don't suggest "Convert Link To Text", you are suggesting it ;)

I know i cheated with that one :)

CintaNotes Developer wrote:I think that you should use a simple "Delete" (the one with the red X) for deleting the link together with text, and "Delete Note Link" for converting the link to text.

Ok, ok. You won! :) :) Finally i realize you use your brain too ;)
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:42 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:
CintaNotes Developer wrote:Hopefully in the next beta we will have the SimpleNote sync ready for testing as well - are you planning to use this functionality?
No. Where should i sync to? I use one device only. Especially i don't want my data stored somewhere in the cloud. That's one of the major reasons i use CN, because the data is on my machine, where it belongs to :)
Ok, so you must think that this feature will only increase the bloating, right? )

228 users voting for the feature can't be wrong, right? ;) It is just my personal usage. Actually i expect that the feature might attract new users to CN and that is a good thing for sure. :)
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:10 am

ChrisCN wrote:Thanks for the confirmation that this is not a general problem.
I reregistered the protocol and now it is working :)

Great! Phew, I was worried that I couldn't reproduce this.
Also sometimes this can happen if you switch the message type in Outlook to Plain Text and then back to HTML.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:11 am

ChrisCN wrote:So if I understand you aright...
After renaming/moving a database file the only prerequisite is that afterwards the file at least has got loaded once in CN
(which sounds like a reasonable and convenient solution) - right?

Yes, with a slight nuance - not just "loaded once", but opened and NOT closed. If you open a .db file and then use the File/Close command,
CN won't be able to open links to it.
Alex
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:13 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Also sometimes this can happen if you switch the message type in Outlook to Plain Text and then back to HTML.
This could also have happened because I remember I switch from plain text to html.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:16 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Various situations can occur:
  • Caret on a link using the keyboard to open the context menu
    offer link support for the caret's link, no matter where the mouse cursor is placed[...]
Well as discussed later, if we move the caret on right click, there will be no need in such complex logic. And that's a good thing;)
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”