[Ann] CintaNotes 2.0 Final

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.0 Final

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:26 pm

cnewtonne wrote:The SN sync is not ready for prime time. I respect your decision to go-live with it, but I disagree. it just does not work. First, it affects CN reputation and 2nd it just deflated all the high expectations after waiting for it for years.

I'm sorry for this. We are already working hard on bringing SN sync up to the standard you've come to expect.

Simplenote also doesn't make it very easy - unless you have Premium subscription, 3rd party clients are throttled and after some time their server returns error 500 for several seconds. To make sure whose fault this is, it would be really helpful to know that you have no problems to sync using e.g. ResophNotes.

BTW have you tried the version that I posted above, 2.0.1 Beta 0?
Alex
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:01 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Thanks for the GUI draft. I really looks usable and not-overdone. Now I believe that this can possibly work.
Great - hope dies last ;)
CintaNotes Developer wrote:I have a couple of questions though:
1) All tags on tag sidebar are still colorless - Do you think this is convenient?
No, but I am not quite certain what I prefer!
My first thought would be: color the tags on the sidebar in the same color!
Gmail takes a different approach (see screenshot attached): They show a colored square next to the tag which can be clicked to define/alter the color.
Firefox002.png
Firefox002.png (2.65 KiB) Viewed 11213 times

CintaNotes Developer wrote:2) Will there be any other function depending on the tag color, except influencing tag background?
Thanks!
For me: "no". I am just thinking of it as a visual clue - the whole functionality is already implemented in the tag.
One additional remark: One can choose the foreground and the background color (at least in Gmail).

thanks for reconsidering it
chris
elGeminy

Postby elGeminy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:15 am

Bug in version 2.0.0.5

CN continually switches IE and IE-based applications to Offline mode. ProcMon log attached.
CN periodically set HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\GlobalUserOffline value to 1 - this value meet the IE offline mode option.
Attachments
log.png
log.png (195.98 KiB) Viewed 11212 times
elGeminy

Postby elGeminy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:48 am

More bugs:

1. CN replaces word "Note" in the note body to tag "<note"
2. DB file wont open in explorer from File menu
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:43 am

ChrisCN wrote:Gmail takes a different approach (see screenshot attached): They show a colored square next to the tag which can be clicked to define/alter the color.

Nice idea. Since not all tags will be colored, the tag sidebar won't look too much like a Christmas tree :)

For me: "no". I am just thinking of it as a visual clue - the whole functionality is already implemented in the tag.
One additional remark: One can choose the foreground and the background color (at least in Gmail).

I think for CN this will be overkill. Too much colors. Wouldn't picking just the background color be enough?

BTW what about tag edit boxes? Implementing colors there would be anything but easy. But I think this is necessary to maintain consistency.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:44 am

elGeminy wrote:Bug in version 2.0.0.5
CN continually switches IE and IE-based applications to Offline mode. ProcMon log attached.
CN periodically set HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\GlobalUserOffline value to 1 - this value meet the IE offline mode option.

Yes, we are already working on this. Will be fixed this week.
Thanks for the report anyway!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:45 am

elGeminy wrote:More bugs:

1. CN replaces word "Note" in the note body to tag "<note"
2. DB file wont open in explorer from File menu

Could you please elaborate a bit more how to reproduce these problems?
About 2 - have you associated CN with .db files using the Options/System menu?

Thanks!
Alex
elGeminy

Postby elGeminy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:49 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Could you please elaborate a bit more how to reproduce these problems?

I tried to reproduce, but nothing :(
Probably my mistake.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:About 2 - have you associated CN with .db files using the Options/System menu?

No, of course not. Why?

In previous versions if I clicked at last but one menu item (with full path to my db), CN just called something like "explorer.exe /select,c:\mydatabase.db" - so its just open explorer with selected db file. I had used it for fast navigation to my db file.
In CN 2.0 there is no any reaction on menu item click.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:55 am

elGeminy wrote:In previous versions if I clicked at last but one menu item (with full path to my db), CN just called something like "explorer.exe /select,c:\mydatabase.db" - so its just open explorer with selected db file. I had used it for fast navigation to my db file.
In CN 2.0 there is no any reaction on menu item click.

This is not a bug - we've removed this behavior because many users were complaining that it was confusing and completely unexpected, especially when they clicked on the currently active notebook by mistake (while aiming at other notebook).

But I see that finding the .db file is also an important function. It just needs to be implemented as a standalone command.
I've added this as an idea to the roadmap: http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/143 ... e-db-file/

Since it is very easy to implement (actually most of it has been already done), it only needs of score of 10 to get into the pipeline.
Thanks for understanding!
Alex
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:54 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
ChrisCN wrote:Gmail takes a different approach (see screenshot attached): They show a colored square next to the tag which can be clicked to define/alter the color.

Nice idea. Since not all tags will be colored, the tag sidebar won't look too much like a Christmas tree :)
Yes, I see this as an advantage too.

I think for CN this will be overkill. Too much colors. Wouldn't picking just the background color be enough?
I can think of two reasons why a foreground color would be useful:
1) with only the default foreground color the tags get unreadable for some background colors (same tint, same brightness) or look very ugly - like this sample...
Firefox000.png
Firefox000.png (422 Bytes) Viewed 11161 times
(of course you could try to implement a clever algorithm to automatically set an appropriate foreground color - but that sounds like an overkill to me)

2) the foreground color could be used to give additional information (e.g background=red > means:"TASK", foreground=dark red > means:"OPEN", foreground=grey > means:"DONE").

But then, you are right too. ;) Choosing the background color is the major part of the request and would be sufficient as a compromise.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:BTW what about tag edit boxes? Implementing colors there would be anything but easy. But I think this is necessary to maintain consistency.
I think I don't get what you mean -> "tag edit boxes". Do you mean the properties dialog of a tag?
Urmel

Postby Urmel » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:37 am

Alex,

thank you very much for realize the section feature! No I've deinstalled the Notesholder Pro. But two features of this program I actually miss in CitaNotes.

First: I hope that you modify the section title tab so that this can be individually in size. This will be use less place, so that more section are visible.

Second: Is there a search variant that will find notes in all sections in a notebook? A long time after creating a note, I have forgotten the section in there I've saved it. When the sections are not clearly thematically separated or a note can't surely allocated to a section, I must repeating the search for more sections. So a overall search within a notebook will be a very time-saving feature.

Thank you for the continuous further development of this very good piece of software.

I wish all the members from this forum solemn festive days and a pleasant slide into a wonderful new year.

-Urs-

I hope, that my English predicable the content, that I mean...
User with a CintaNotes Lifetime PRO License
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:20 pm

2All:

Please check out the new beta, it should fix almost all problems reported in this topic! Thanks!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:24 pm

ChrisCN wrote:I can think of two reasons why a foreground color would be useful:
1) with only the default foreground color the tags get unreadable for some background colors (same tint, same brightness) or look very ugly - like this sample...(of course you could try to implement a clever algorithm to automatically set an appropriate foreground color - but that sounds like an overkill to me)

IMO little things that make user's life easier via minimizing the need to tweak settings are never overkill ;)

2) the foreground color could be used to give additional information (e.g background=red > means:"TASK", foreground=dark red > means:"OPEN", foreground=grey > means:"DONE").

Isn't it a bit too subtle?

I think I don't get what you mean -> "tag edit boxes". Do you mean the properties dialog of a tag?

I've meant the fields where you input tags: search box, the "Tags:" field in the editor, etc.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:29 pm

Hi Urmel,
really glad to see you here again! :)

Urmel wrote:thank you very much for realize the section feature!

Welcome)

Urmel wrote:First: I hope that you modify the section title tab so that this can be individually in size. This will be use less place, so that more sections are visible.

Are you already having problems that you have to scroll section tabs, or is it just a consideration for future?
It's important for me to know this ;)

Second: Is there a search variant that will find notes in all sections in a notebook?

Yes. Press the "All" button in the Section Bar - this is select all sections and bring all notes into view. Then just do the search as you would normally.

Thank you for the continuous further development of this very good piece of software.
I wish all the members from this forum solemn festive days and a pleasant slide into a wonderful new year.

Thank you very much, I wish you also frohe Weihnachten und Guten Rutsch ins neue Jahr! :)
Alex
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:00 pm

ChrisCN wrote:I can think of two reasons why a foreground color would be useful:
1) with only the default foreground color the tags get unreadable for some background colors (same tint, same brightness) or look very ugly - like this sample...(of course you could try to implement a clever algorithm to automatically set an appropriate foreground color - but that sounds like an overkill to me)

IMO little things that make user's life easier via minimizing the need to tweak settings are never overkill ;)
Well, no protest.

Isn't it a bit too subtle?
It is subtle and not really the strongest argument of the two ;)

I've meant the fields where you input tags: search box, the "Tags:" field in the editor, etc.
I thinks it would be nice but at the same time strange - changing the background color while I type a tag name and it matches or mismatches - hmm. But taking into account that it would be difficult to implement -> I would forgo it (just like Google does in gMail - there is also a box where you can type in a lable and the text does NOT change its color).

So I think there is a way where we could get a IMO very useful feature with very little effort and without making to much compromises.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:00 am

ChrisCN wrote:So I think there is a way where we could get a IMO very useful feature with very little effort and without making to much compromises.
OK seems like we have a consensus here :) But I still can't bypass the roadmap with this, hope you understand!

So this is what we're going to do:
1) I've added "Colored tags" as a new idea to the roadmap
2) I've set the complexity to "easy": this means it will only need score of 10 to get into the pipeline.

http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/143 ... ored-tags/

Please everyone who wants colored tags - vote!
Alex
Urmel

Postby Urmel » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:06 am

Hi Alex,

Urmel wrote:First: I hope that you modify the section title tab so that this can be individually in size. This will be use less place, so that more sections are visible.

Are you already having problems that you have to scroll section tabs, or is it just a consideration for future?
It's important for me to know this ;)

No, I've no problem with this. But the visible part of the section bar is very rabidly overfilled. I have only short terms to denote the sections. But a very great part of the section bar is occupied with blank spaces. So my information is only a request for (hopefully) the near future.

Second: Is there a search variant that will find notes in all sections in a notebook?

Yes. Press the "All" button in the Section Bar - this is select all sections and bring all notes into view. Then just do the search as you would normally.

Ah... thank you for this hint. Normally I will find so logically solutions. But during the festive days, I have only short chances to work on my PC, and my mind must think to many other dings...

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Thank you very much, I wish you also frohe Weihnachten und Guten Rutsch ins neue Jahr! :)

Thank you for this wishes in German.
-Urs-
Urmel

Postby Urmel » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:18 am

elGeminy wrote:Bug in version 2.0.0.5

Thank you very, very much for your explanation of this problem. I've tried a long time to find out the cause of this awkward behavior. I would replace my active system with a saved image, as I read this text from you. I never would have to think, that CinatNote is the source of the problem... Now I hope, that a fix for this unexpected behavior will be available so soon as possible.

I've two programs who will no longer works automatically. I have to change the offline mode of the Internet Explorer permanently, and than I can push the programs to continue its work.

Now I'm happy, that I know the coherence behind the visible effects.

-Urs-
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:13 am

Urmel wrote:Now I hope, that a fix for this unexpected behavior will be available so soon as possible.

Sorry for this once again.
The fixed version is actually already available:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1482
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”