[Ann] CintaNotes 2.0 Final

User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.0 Final

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:19 am

cnewtonne wrote:Issues encountered ...
- I populated CN with about 770 notes.
- Starting a new db locally and syncing caused CN to hang 4 times downloading notes. Every time, I had to cancel and restart. It just hangs randomly for over 15 minutes without changes in note counter.
- For 5 times now, it crashes silently. I believe these are related to SN sync set at every 10 mins.
Not necessarily what I expected, but I will be more than happy to assist.


Thanks for the info! It would be great to have the log file, but as it might contain the text of your notes, I'll understand if you choose not to provide it. Please try the workaround I described above - at least the crashes should go away.
Alex
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.0 Final

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:20 am

jogrebe wrote:The site that is selling the licences is down when I tried to buy one I got a crashed website error message.

Thanks for letting me know, but it seems it is back up now.
Alex
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.0 Final

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:18 am

dordave wrote:In the logs of the unsuccessful syncs after a very small number of successful request (result.status=[200], result.errorState=[0]), I see that all other requests end up with result.status=[0], result.errorState=[1].
I have a feeling this is either some kind of connectivity issue (though I was of course connected to the internet while the service request failed), or because of the simplenote's servers' status.


Thanks for the investigation! Yes, not only CintaNotes is having difficulties with sync. Simplenote guys have announced that they are experiencing some server-side problems. Hopefully they'll fix it soon.
Alex
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.0 Final

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:40 am

danielson wrote:It's been a hectic day and i really haven't had much of a chance to dab with the new CintaNotes 2,
but i didn't want to let the day go by without sending out my KUDOS! to Alex and all the hardworking folks of CN team! :)
This SimpleNote sync feature was a long time coming but it was well worth the wait.
Thank you!


Thanks a lot, Daniel!
Alex
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.0 Final

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:40 am

Dana wrote:Yesterday everything was normal! Today CintaNotes crashes when I try to copy text. I reinstalled Cintanotes - no way. I can not use Cintanotes v2 anymore. :(
I'm back to version v1.85 and everything is back in order. :?:


Sorry to hear about the problem!
I can't reproduce it, so would be needing more information.
1) Could you please elaborate what exactly you were doing at the moment? What was selected? How were you copying?
2) Did crash occur on copy or on paste?
3) Can you get the same error again?
4) Does it happen when you create a new database and word with it?

Thanks a lot!
Alex
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Crash with clipping Ctrl+F12

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:28 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:i can still reproduce this with the final release. I was able to strip down the steps a little more. I can even reproduce it with a fresh empty database.
I'll send my settings file and the debug log via mail.


Thanks, Thomas! Sorry but still no luck in reproducing the bug.
And I've even installed PSPad for this.

BTW you say press Ctrl+F12, but in your settings Ctrl+Shift+= is configured. I've tried both though with same result.

But! Browsing the code I've found a place which could cause such error. Also I've added more detailed log statements.
So please try this new version, 2.0.1.0:
Attachments
CintaNotes_2_0_1_Beta0.zip
(2.05 MiB) Downloaded 1757 times
Alex
User avatar
ChrisCN
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:20 am
Contact:

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.0 Final

Postby ChrisCN » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:16 pm

I just noticed that this request:
http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/336 ... ategories/
is now 'completed' with the introduction of sections.

If I read the comments to this request I doubt that many of the 400 people that voted for this feature are now very happy. Not only that we didn't get something flexible like lables in gMail we also can't solve requests like "high priority" with the new sections.

Don't get me wrong - the sections are useful - and CN is still one of my favorite programms.
But the sections don't give me a solution for the problem I have addressed with this request.

No one (except Alex) has suggested to solve the problem this way (sorry for that Alex) - and I think it is still unsolved:
Some quotes:
burrum: "Assigning colors to tags" proposal should be posted.
Josef Sábl: Bloatware! Just get creative with tags and colors
Alex Vit: Or you could just color notes red if they are tagged "red"
burrum: Still make possible assigning colors to tags, but use these colors as a background for tags displayed in notes. Just like in customizable GMail labels.
Josef Sábl: This is what tags are for. Just implement colored tags
me (ChrisCN): I love the gmail approach with it's colored lables > it is simple, approved, familiar and flexible!


I think we need to resubmit this request and start collecting votes again :cry:
Dana
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:42 am
Contact:

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.0 Final

Postby Dana » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:02 pm

Dana wrote:I can not use Cintanotes v2 anymore. :(
I'm back to version v1.85 and everything is back in order. :?:

Very odd, I have reinstalled the v2 over v1.85 again. Now everything is running normally.
What may have happened? XP bug?
User avatar
ChrisCN
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:20 am
Contact:

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.0 Final

Postby ChrisCN » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:40 am

ChrisCN wrote:I just noticed that this request:
http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/336 ... ategories/
is now 'completed' with the introduction of sections.

If I read the comments to this request I doubt that many of the 400 people that voted for this feature are now very happy. Not only that we didn't get something flexible like lables in gMail we also can't solve requests like "high priority" with the new sections.

Don't get me wrong - the sections are useful - and CN is still one of my favorite programms.
But the sections don't give me a solution for the problem I have addressed with this request.

No one (except Alex) has suggested to solve the problem this way (sorry for that Alex) - and I think it is still unsolved:
Some quotes:
burrum: "Assigning colors to tags" proposal should be posted.
Josef Sábl: Bloatware! Just get creative with tags and colors
Alex Vit: Or you could just color notes red if they are tagged "red"
burrum: Still make possible assigning colors to tags, but use these colors as a background for tags displayed in notes. Just like in customizable GMail labels.
Josef Sábl: This is what tags are for. Just implement colored tags
me (ChrisCN): I love the gmail approach with it's colored lables > it is simple, approved, familiar and flexible!


I think we need to resubmit this request and start collecting votes again :cry:


@Alex:

Hi Alex
I know you have to follow your own vision about CintaNotes and I appreciate that you don't just implement single features but try to see the product as a whole.
There are two reasons why I don't want to give up on coloring notes according to their tags:
1) This feature should be much easier to implement than sections (no substantial database structure changes, no changes in concept).
2) It would be a solution for soooo many use cases

But I also don't want to tilt at windmills. ;) So I am very curious about what you think.
Is this a feature you can imagine beeing part of CN in the future?
Should I resubmit it to the roadmap?
Or do you have completely different plans in this regard and should I just forget the whole thing?

Thanks
Chris
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.0 Final

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:43 am

ChrisCN wrote:Is this a feature you can imagine beeing part of CN in the future?
Should I resubmit it to the roadmap?
Or do you have completely different plans in this regard and should I just forget the whole thing?

Chris,
I'm really sorry that my decision to close that idea as completed was so frustrating for you!

I just felt that there's no way we could incorporate yet another note-coloring feature without creating a complete mess.

See: now application icon and UI are colored, and sections are colored. If we would add additional coloring for individual notes based on tags (or some additional categories, which Occam's razor wouldn't allow to add anyway), you'll always need to ask yourself: "ok, this note is red, is it because it has the tag "urgent", or because it is in the red-colored section"?

And can you imagine us saying now: "ok guys, coloring sections was a mistake, now all sections will be of same color"?

If you can suggest any good solution to this problem, I'll consider reopening the idea on the roadmap.
If not, let's discuss the use cases themselves. Maybe we could find another solution.

Thanks.
Alex
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.0 Final

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:50 am

Dana wrote:Very odd, I have reinstalled the v2 over v1.85 again. Now everything is running normally.
What may have happened? XP bug?


Could you please provide more info on the original error? What happened exactly?
Alex
User avatar
ChrisCN
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:20 am
Contact:

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.0 Final

Postby ChrisCN » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:37 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
ChrisCN wrote:Hi Alex
I know you have to follow your own vision about CintaNotes and I appreciate that you don't just implement single features but try to see the product as a whole.
There are two reasons why I don't want to give up on coloring notes according to their tags:
1) This feature should be much easier to implement than sections (no substantial database structure changes, no changes in concept).
2) It would be a solution for soooo many use cases

But I also don't want to tilt at windmills. ;) So I am very curious about what you think.
Is this a feature you can imagine beeing part of CN in the future?
Should I resubmit it to the roadmap?
Or do you have completely different plans in this regard and should I just forget the whole thing?


Chris,
I'm really sorry that my decision to close that idea as completed was so frustrating for you!

I just felt that there's no way we could incorporate yet another note-coloring feature without creating a complete mess.

See: now application icon and UI are colored, and sections are colored. If we would add additional coloring for individual notes based on tags (or some additional categories, which Occam's razor wouldn't allow to add anyway), you'll always need to ask yourself: "ok, this note is red, is it because it has the tag "urgent", or because it is in the red-colored section"?

And can you imagine us saying now: "ok guys, coloring sections was a mistake, now all sections will be of same color"?

If you can suggest any good solution to this problem, I'll consider reopening the idea on the roadmap. Thanks.


Yes, I was really frustrated and thanks for noticing it and still being open for suggestions.
Here we go...
1) Suggestion: Do it like gMail does it with lables - it is working although gMail allows to use very colorful themes
2) the colors can be defined by the users - so it's up to us to find pleasing color combinations
3) if we feel that the colors of the tags are to much in addition to the colors of the sections we are free to define the sections white, grey,...

I attached a quick and dirty GUI-hack...

So in my example I can quickly see that my private notes are green.
And I can quickly distinguish between tasks (red) and info (blue).
Attachments
CN.colored.tags.png
CN.colored.tags.png (66.98 KiB) Viewed 7581 times
Noddy330
Posts: 354
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:05 pm
Contact:

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.0 Final

Postby Noddy330 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:21 pm

Like ChriCN’s suggestion.

But while messing around with ChriCN’s tagging system I think I found a bug.
Try this
Create a note with
Title – [info] abc
Tag - ./info
Save it
Open it
Delete the leading “.” from the tag
Save it – get an error message
Try to open it – get an error message
Delete it
Close CN - get 2 error messages

Nod
Last edited by Noddy330 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dana
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:42 am
Contact:

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.0 Final

Postby Dana » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:45 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Could you please provide more info on the original error? What happened exactly?
I installed v2 on version 1.85. Everything went smooth. The next day I couldn't save entries. All other functions of Cintanotes worked fine. The text was copied, the editor window was opend, but as soon as I pressed 'save' button, I got the error message. The entry has not been saved, and I could only cancel.

PS. I forgot to tell. Meanwhile I have exported the database and re-imported as an XML file. Now everything is running normally.
Last edited by Dana on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kazak
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:34 am
Contact:

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.0 Final

Postby kazak » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:47 pm

I agree with Chris about colors, but think that,
what we do by colors, we can do better by the filters and sorting.

My opinion, to be a good ToDo System Cinta should improve its sorting and filtering oriented on ToDo systems.
User avatar
ChrisCN
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:20 am
Contact:

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.0 Final

Postby ChrisCN » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:43 pm

kazak wrote:I agree with Chris about colors, but think that,
what we do by colors, we can do better by the filters and sorting.

My opinion, to be a good ToDo System Cinta should improve its sorting and filtering oriented on ToDo systems.
Thanks kazak (and the others) for supporting this idea. I want to add why I think (at least for me) the colors are so important in addition to sorting and filtering:

There are many occasions where I don't want to find a few specific notes (where filtering and sorting is important) but need to get a quick overview (e.g. over the open tasks, the tasks associated with a certain project and so on).
The additional color code lets me quickly, visually scan the list of notes and see what kind of information (task, protocol, ...) they contain.
To do the same with filtering only, I would have to do several clicks and still risk to get lost in the details ;)

I really think this would be extremly useful to most of the users as it is as powerful and simple as CN itself (it is just a visual expansion of the tagging system).
cnewtonne
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:54 pm
Contact:

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.0 Final

Postby cnewtonne » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:22 pm

The SN sync is not ready for prime time. I respect your decision to go-live with it, but I disagree. it just does not work. First, it affects CN reputation and 2nd it just deflated all the high expectations after waiting for it for years.

- I deleted 760 notes locally.
- CN showed 'removing remote notes' for 20 minutes.
- SN note counter (on the web client) did NOT change throughout.
- I cancelled it and retried with debug on and below is what I saw.
----------------------------------------

----------------------------------------
11:20:8.47520 9452 inet::HttpRequest::send err::getLastErrorDescription()=[(2)The system cannot find the file specified.]
11:20:8.47520 9452 inet::HttpRequest::send End
11:20:8.47520 9452 inet::HttpRequest::queryStatus Begin
11:20:8.47520 9452 inet::HttpRequest::queryInfo Begin
11:20:8.47520 9452 inet::HttpRequest::queryInfo infoLevel=[19]
11:20:8.47520 9452 inet::HttpRequest::queryInfo End
11:20:8.48520 9452 inet::HttpRequest::queryStatus End
11:20:8.48520 9452 inet::HttpRequest::gueryResult result.status=[0], result.errorState=[1]
11:20:8.48520 9452 inet::HttpRequest::gueryResult End
11:20:9.48620 9452 inet::HttpRequest::HttpRequest Begin
11:20:9.49620 9452 inet::HttpRequest::HttpRequest requestType=[1], verb=[POST], objectName=[/api2/data/261fa46149ec11e286c0a92e3ae1260f?auth=1C467ABA366E2CAB954552B55178DC2B3CCB9A099B6A5D641360E47B64390EFA&email=xxxx@gmail.com]
11:20:9.49620 9452 inet::HttpRequest::HttpRequest End
11:20:9.49620 9452 inet::HttpRequest::gueryResult Begin
11:20:9.50620 9452 inet::HttpRequest::gueryResult headers=[User-Agent: CintaNotes/2.0], opt=[{
"version" : 1,
"deleted" : 1
}]
11:20:9.50620 9452 inet::HttpRequest::send Begin
11:20:9.51620 9452 inet::HttpRequest::send headers=[User-Agent: CintaNotes/2.0], opt=[{
"version" : 1,
"deleted" : 1
}]
11:20:9.52620 9452 inet::HttpRequest::send err::getLastErrorDescription()=[(2)The system cannot find the file specified.]
11:20:9.53620 9452 inet::HttpRequest::send End
11:20:9.53620 9452 inet::HttpRequest::queryStatus Begin
11:20:9.54621 9452 inet::HttpRequest::queryInfo Begin
11:20:9.54621 9452 inet::HttpRequest::queryInfo infoLevel=[19]
11:20:9.54621 9452 inet::HttpRequest::queryInfo End
11:20:9.55621 9452 inet::HttpRequest::queryStatus End
11:20:9.55621 9452 inet::HttpRequest::gueryResult result.status=[0], result.errorState=[1]
11:20:9.56621 9452 inet::HttpRequest::gueryResult End
11:20:10.56721 9452 inet::HttpRequest::HttpRequest Begin
11:20:10.56721 9452 inet::HttpRequest::HttpRequest requestType=[1], verb=[POST], objectName=[/api2/data/261fa46149ec11e286c0a92e3ae1260f?auth=1C467ABA366E2CAB954552B55178DC2B3CCB9A099B6A5D641360E47B64390EFA&email=xxxx@gmail.com]
11:20:10.56721 9452 inet::HttpRequest::HttpRequest End
11:20:10.57721 9452 inet::HttpRequest::gueryResult Begin
11:20:10.57721 9452 inet::HttpRequest::gueryResult headers=[User-Agent: CintaNotes/2.0], opt=[{
"version" : 1,
"deleted" : 1
}]
11:20:10.57721 9452 inet::HttpRequest::send Begin
11:20:10.57721 9452 inet::HttpRequest::send headers=[User-Agent: CintaNotes/2.0], opt=[{
"version" : 1,
"deleted" : 1
}]
11:20:10.58721 9452 inet::HttpRequest::send err::getLastErrorDescription()=[(2)The system cannot find the file specified.]
11:20:10.58721 9452 inet::HttpRequest::send End
11:20:10.58721 9452 inet::HttpRequest::queryStatus Begin
11:20:10.58721 9452 inet::HttpRequest::queryInfo Begin
11:20:10.58721 9452 inet::HttpRequest::queryInfo infoLevel=[19]
11:20:10.59721 9452 inet::HttpRequest::queryInfo End
11:20:10.59721 9452 inet::HttpRequest::queryStatus End
11:20:10.59721 9452 inet::HttpRequest::gueryResult result.status=[0], result.errorState=[1]
11:20:10.59721 9452 inet::HttpRequest::gueryResult End
11:20:11.59821 9452 inet::HttpRequest::HttpRequest Begin
11:20:11.59821 9452 inet::HttpRequest::HttpRequest requestType=[1], verb=[POST], objectName=[/api2/data/261fa46149ec11e286c0a92e3ae1260f?auth=1C467ABA366E2CAB954552B55178DC2B3CCB9A099B6A5D641360E47B64390EFA&email=xxxx@gmail.com]
11:20:11.60821 9452 inet::HttpRequest::HttpRequest End
11:20:11.61821 9452 inet::HttpRequest::gueryResult Begin
11:20:11.61821 9452 inet::HttpRequest::gueryResult headers=[User-Agent: CintaNotes/2.0], opt=[{
"version" : 1,
"deleted" : 1
}]
11:20:11.62821 9452 inet::HttpRequest::send Begin
11:20:11.63821 9452 inet::HttpReq
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.0 Final

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:17 pm

ChrisCN wrote:Yes, I was really frustrated and thanks for noticing it and still being open for suggestions.


It's no problem. In fact, I find your way of being frustrated quite constructive - so in result, I guess CN will get better and all CN users will benefit from it.

ChrisCN wrote:1) Suggestion: Do it like gMail does it with lables - it is working although gMail allows to use very colorful themes
2) the colors can be defined by the users - so it's up to us to find pleasing color combinations
3) if we feel that the colors of the tags are to much in addition to the colors of the sections we are free to define the sections white, grey,...

Thanks for the GUI draft. I really looks usable and not-overdone. Now I believe that this can possibly work.
I have a couple of questions though:
1) All tags on tag sidebar are still colorless - Do you think this is convenient?
2) Will there be any other function depending on the tag color, except influencing tag background?
Thanks!
Alex
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.0 Final

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:19 pm

Noddy330 wrote:But while messing around with ChriCN’s tagging system I think I found a bug.


Nice catch, Nod! Huge thanks.
Finally - a totally reproducible bug ;)

Will be fixed in 2.0.1
Alex
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.0 Final

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:23 pm

Dana wrote:I installed v2 on version 1.85. Everything went smooth. The next day I couldn't save entries. All other functions of Cintanotes worked fine. The text was copied, the editor window was opend, but as soon as I pressed 'save' button, I got the error message. The entry has not been saved, and I could only cancel.

PS. I forgot to tell. Meanwhile I have exported the database and re-imported as an XML file. Now everything is running normally.


Thanks for the info. I've tried to follow your path, but there was no error. Probably this error depends on the state of your old 1.8.5 database. Will try different combinations now.
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”