CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

[Ann] CintaNotes 2.0.1 Beta 1

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:07 pm

A new beta is here! :)

Dec 25, 2012 - Version 2.0.1 Beta 1

In this version:

Enhancements:
  • Multithreaded Simplenote sync: 2-5x increased sync speed!
  • Links to notes: Added "Copy Note Link" context menu item to note editor
  • Links to notes: "Create new note" from dropdown now opens the new note for editing
  • Links to notes: the initial contents of the dropdown suggestion edit is initially selected
  • When clipping from a CN editor window, a cintanotes:// link to note is placed into the Link field

Fixes:
  • Periodic Simplenote sync could lead to crash
  • Links to notes: right-click on note link behaved unintuitively
  • Links to notes: inserting timestamp into note link broke it
  • Possible crash when running from Program Files (x86)
  • Editor: Ctrl+Alt+Z and Ctrl+Shift+Z shouldn't Undo
  • Possible error on clipping (precondition violation)
  • CN could put Internet Explorer into offline mode
  • Search scope and "search inside words" were not remembered in each section
  • Tags with use count of 0 were not displayed even if marked as not autodeleted
  • Error when saving tag with forward slash as first symbol
  • Possible error on startup when there are many sections and section bar is hidden
  • Editor: "Column uid not unique" error on saving note after editing creation date
  • Notes List: after pasting several notes, only one of them was selected

Download:
Installable: CintaNotes_2_0_1_Beta1_Setup.exe
Portable: CintaNotes_2_0_1_Beta1.zip
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.0.1 Beta 1

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:40 pm

Hi Alex,

thank's for the 2.0.1 (beta) release. Looks like you finally brought us that Christmas gift, you tried to deliver with 2.0. ;)

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Added "Copy Note Link" context menu item to note editor
Confirmed :)

CintaNotes Developer wrote: "Create new note" from dropdown now opens the new note for editing

CintaNotes Developer wrote:the initial contents of the dropdown suggestion edit is initially selected

CintaNotes Developer wrote:When clipping from a CN editor window, a cintanotes:// link to note is placed into the Link field

How do you use this feature? I could not find a way to activate it. Actually i have two problems with clipping. First, there is quite a delay after i press Ctrl+F12 (ctrl+shift+- in my case). Second the new edit window is empty. No content at all.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:right-click on note link behaved unintuitively

What is the change now?

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Links to notes: inserting timestamp into note link broke it

It is fixed when you press F5 directly. It is still broken, when you use the context menu to insert the timestamp.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:"Column uid not unique" error on saving note after editing creation date

I confirm this one as finally fixed. :) Hurray :)

Some minor issues:
  • When having the option to allow tags with lowercase only turned on, the tags field in the note editor should allow lower characters only. Right now, i can enter mixed case, while the tags get lowered when saving. This behaviour can be confusing.
  • The menu's caption is "Edit Note Link" when the caret is on a link. Didn't you say you want to name this "Retarget Note Link"?

Thomas
cnewtonne

Postby cnewtonne » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:30 pm

- Syncing 770 notes took 3,5 minutes. Very nice.
- Immediately after starting very first sync, CN crashed.
- Restarting it continued to sync up to 500 notes after which is stopped.
- Clicking status bar restarted it and it finished the remaining 277.
- Setting search options to search 'text & title' and 'search inside words' do not save across app restarts.
Again, great work. I thank you for making this app available to the world.
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:05 pm

Only want to note, that the following 2 bug still exist:
1) deletion of sections; @Alex: did you get the logfiles //this is still reproducable on my side
2) sorting setting gets lost after restart

Thanks for the new version.
Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:44 am

Hi Thomas,

Thomas wrote:How do you use this feature? I could not find a way to activate it. Actually i have two problems with clipping. First, there is quite a delay after i press Ctrl+F12 (ctrl+shift+- in my case). Second the new edit window is empty. No content at all.

Do you mean clipping in general (from where? Firefox?), or clipping from a CN editor window?

Thomas wrote:What is the change now?

Now as soon as you right click the caret is moved onto the link and the whole note link is selected.
(Before, caret didn't move and if it was not on a note link, no link commands were available).

Thomas wrote:It is fixed when you press F5 directly. It is still broken, when you use the context menu to insert the timestamp.

Sorry, can't reproduce. Could you please describe the detailed steps? Thanks.

Thomas wrote:I confirm this one as finally fixed. :) Hurray :)

Yeah, that was quite a find-me-if-you-can bug! Timezone related!

Thomas wrote:When having the option to allow tags with lowercase only turned on, the tags field in the note editor should allow lower characters only. Right now, i can enter mixed case, while the tags get lowered when saving. This behaviour can be confusing.

What about possible old tags which rely on upper case? These tags will appear lower-cased as well.

Thomas wrote:The menu's caption is "Edit Note Link" when the caret is on a link. Didn't you say you want to name this "Retarget Note Link"?

Yep, forgot about that. Will fix it, thanks.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:50 am

Hi cnewtonne,
thanks for checking out the beta!

cnewtonne wrote:- Syncing 770 notes took 3,5 minutes. Very nice.

Glad to hear that. Unfortunately Simplenote itself makes further enhancements difficult. There are no bulk commands like "delete 300 notes with these IDs", you have to do everything one by one.

cnewtonne wrote:- Immediately after starting very first sync, CN crashed.

Does it happen every time, is this repeatable? Could you please provide a log file (Help/Debug/Debug log) with the crash?

cnewtonne wrote:- Restarting it continued to sync up to 500 notes after which is stopped.

Is syncing with other apps like ResophNotes working better?
Nowadays for Simplenote's server it's ok to give "500 Internal server error" for 100 times in a row.
On their forums they mention some "3rd party client throttling", probably this is it.

cnewtonne wrote:- Setting search options to search 'text & title' and 'search inside words' do not save across app restarts.

It's on our todo list. (1.8.5 also didn't save, btw)

cnewtonne wrote:Again, great work. I thank you for making this app available to the world.

Thank you for helping us make CN better!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:54 am

ChrisCN wrote:1) deletion of sections; @Alex: did you get the logfiles //this is still reproducable on my side

I thought we've determined that the bug was caused by usage of incompatible DB files from v1.9.1, was it not?
Can you reproduce this on a new database?

ChrisCN wrote:2) sorting setting gets lost after restart

For sections which are inactive, right?
It is in the plans. Hopefully we'll manage to include it in 2.0.1, but in 2.0.2 it will be for sure.
Alex
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:01 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
ChrisCN wrote:1) deletion of sections; @Alex: did you get the logfiles //this is still reproducable on my side

I thought we've determined that the bug was caused by usage of incompatible DB files from v1.9.1, was it not?
Can you reproduce this on a new database?
No, I can not reproduce it with a new DB but it was caused by a migration from v1.8.5 files. (I am very very sure I didn't make a mistake and carefully have choosen the 1.8.5 files to upgrade to version 2).
Do you know what causes this in the DB. Can I check it with an SQL-Tool or even fix it?

ChrisCN wrote:2) sorting setting gets lost after restart

For sections which are inactive, right?
It is in the plans. Hopefully we'll manage to include it in 2.0.1, but in 2.0.2 it will be for sure.
Yes, exactly. Thanks.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:11 am

ChrisCN wrote:No, I can not reproduce it with a new DB but it was caused by a migration from v1.8.5 files. (I am very very sure I didn't make a mistake and carefully have choosen the 1.8.5 files to upgrade to version 2).
Do you know what causes this in the DB. Can I check it with an SQL-Tool or even fix it?

Well maybe you can reproduce it reliably with some dummy 1.8.5 database? Would be great!
As to how to fix this, it should be simple: export to XML and import into a new(!) .db should fix this.
Alex
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:40 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:As to how to fix this, it should be simple: export to XML and import into a new(!) .db should fix this.
Thanks! Yes, that worked. So as there is such a simple workaround I think this 'case' can be closed ;)
kazak

Postby kazak » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:27 pm

Hi Alex,
When switching to another .db from file menu, Cinta always changes sorting to "Created" . Please look at it .
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:13 am

kazak wrote:Hi Alex,
When switching to another .db from file menu, Cinta always changes sorting to "Created" . Please look at it .

I'm on it, thanks)
Alex
kazak

Postby kazak » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:29 am

kazak wrote:Hi Alex,

I'm on it, thanks)

sorry, if my english is bad ... ))

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”