[Ann] CintaNotes 2.0.1 Final

Noddy330

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.0.1 Final

Postby Noddy330 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:09 pm

Chris
No problem.
The joy of something like CN is that it can be used in many ways.
It’s always interesting to see what others do – and then to try it – sometimes it works :-), sometime it doesn’t :-(.
C'est La Vie
Nod
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:18 pm

jkoerner wrote:Thanks, I'm glad to hear that you took my message constructively and will use
this incident as a learning opportunity. An early notification about this would
have helped immensely. Since you say you'll do that next time, I accept your apology.

I just hope no other customers did something drastic, like reinstalling Windows, as I nearly did!

It'll probably never happen again, but just in case... do you have ready an email list
of all customers, so that, if necessary, you could shoot out a message to everyone
quickly? If not, it'd be a good idea to create one now and have it ready if needed.

Sorry for the delay, now finally feeling better and getting back to work.
I'm absolutely taking this as a learning opportunity, and huge thanks again for describing so clearly
how it should ideally work.

No, unfortunately we don't have a customer email list, and I'm going to literally set it up tomorrow,
to have a way of instant message delivery to CN users.

Also we have a new website in development, and there we also plan to include ability to subscribe
to a mailing list.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:23 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Also we have a new website in development, and there we also plan to include ability to subscribe to a mailing list.

Since it is already possible to subscribe to this forum, it might be of interest to post relevant information here, too.
Last edited by Thomas Lohrum on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:23 pm

danielson wrote:To have some kind of notification system would be good.
What about all the others who use the free version?

There will be a public mail list, anyone will be able to subscribe via entering his/her email.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:26 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Since it is already possible to subscribe to this forum, it might be of interest to post relevant information here, too.

Hi Thomas,
well this requires registering on the forum - I guess not everyone would like to do this.
I think Jon is absolutely right - at least people who have bought a license need to be notified
per email.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:27 pm

ChrisCN wrote:The dropdown list for the "links to notes" also contains the current note,
but if you select it, you get the message that this is not allowed (which makes sense).
It would be convenient if the current note would not appear in the dropdown.

Thanks Chris, I agree it would be better not to display current note's title,
we'll fix this in 2.0.2
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:32 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Sorry for the delay, now finally feeling better and getting back to work.

Glad to hear you're doing better now :) Welcome back :)

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:33 pm

ernest33 wrote:Hello,
Could you add proxy with authentification in CintaNotes ?

Happy new Year :mrgreen:

Hi Ernest,
I assume you're talking about the Simplenote sync feature?
Yes, adding proxy parameters is already planned, will be added in the next version. And happy new year to you too!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:34 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Glad to hear you're doing better now :) Welcome back :)

Thanks a lot, Thomas!)
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:37 pm

xdata wrote:2.0.1 Final
bug:
mouse-wheel scrolling for tag list was broken.

just downgraded to 2.0.1 beta ..
that's a MAJOR BUG for me..

bug report post:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1492

Thanks for the report, I confirm the bug, sorry for this!
Will release a 2.0.2 beta to fix this asap.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:41 pm

ChrisCN wrote:Not sure if I found something or whether this only exists in my imagination!?
In general I use the sorting method "manual" because I can move important notes to the top.
The question is: what CN does with those notes that have not been moved explicitly by me?
I think in previous versions, CN placed the newest notes on top of the list (not sure if it used "created" or "modified").

Chris,
unfortunately the manual sorting is currently not automatically maintained when you export to XML.
The only way to keep the manual sort mode is to make sure this sort mode is active when you export
to XML. Then on import the notes will be created in correct order.

(Also if you use syncing, please keep in mind that Simplenote sync doesn't maintain manual sorting as well, since
Simplenote doesn't support arbitrary note ordering. If you use manual sorting a lot, syncing via Dropbox would be better.)
Alex
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:31 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
ChrisCN wrote:Not sure if I found something or whether this only exists in my imagination!?
In general I use the sorting method "manual" because I can move important notes to the top.
The question is: what CN does with those notes that have not been moved explicitly by me?
I think in previous versions, CN placed the newest notes on top of the list (not sure if it used "created" or "modified").

Chris,
unfortunately the manual sorting is currently not automatically maintained when you export to XML.
The only way to keep the manual sort mode is to make sure this sort mode is active when you export
to XML. Then on import the notes will be created in correct order.

(Also if you use syncing, please keep in mind that Simplenote sync doesn't maintain manual sorting as well, since
Simplenote doesn't support arbitrary note ordering. If you use manual sorting a lot, syncing via Dropbox would be better.)

Hi Alex - great you are feeling better again.

If manual sorting order is not preserved with XML export/import -> does this really explain the symptom?
I noticed that the notes that had NO manual order seem to be shown different if manual sorting mode is active (see sreenshot).
For the 'old'/imported notes: the newest comes last
For the newly created notes: the newest comes first (top of the list)

If necessary, I can try to reproduce it (I still have the old 1.8.5 database)
but I can't promise when I will find time for it.

thanks
chris
jkoerner

Postby jkoerner » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:40 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Sorry for the delay, now finally feeling better and getting back to work.
I'm absolutely taking this as a learning opportunity, and huge thanks again for describing so clearly
how it should ideally work.

... a customer email list, and I'm going to literally set it up tomorrow,
to have a way of instant message delivery to CN users.

Also we have a new website in development, and there we also plan to include ability to subscribe
to a mailing list.

Wow - Thanks for your reply, and I'm glad you're feeling better (I've heard there's a nasty bug going around, very unpleasant. Thanks for waiting until you're uncontagious to get back to us ;) )

I really appreciate responsive developers, and especially those rare few who are really able to listen to criticism (like mine) and can take it constructively, rather than instantly becoming defensive, treating it as a personal attack and refusing to hear it, or even attacking it.

So I'm glad I bought CintaNotes, even though I had a bad experience with it right away, since I know it will only get better and better.

<Start Rant>
You might be surprised at how many developers, when they see lengthy posts (such as mine), just ignore them altogether, never responding at all -- seemingly being offended that anyone would even dare to think that their words could possibly be worthy of taking up that much of the exalted developer's precious time. Or they stop after reading just the first sentence, treating the rest of the message as just so much "blah, blah, blah..." blather, then post a reply that totally misses the point. Or, they stop reading immediately when they first detect a note of criticism, raising their hackles and going into counterattack mode, never bothering to fully hear out the poster's comments.

In my opinion, the kind of arrogance described above is the main reason why most software today sucks. As it happens, I am a Ph.D. human factors psychologist -- an 'expert', if you will, in the psychology of usability. So I can tell you from experience that most developers and most software companies [Hi there, Microsoft! ;) ] are quite sure that they don't need any help with that, even though they've never actually studied this field. (Some companies pretend to care about usability, but what they actually do is hire graphic designers, not usability experts. 'Prettyifying' is not the same thing as making it usable.)

Their reasoning, I suppose, is that since they are human themselves, they therefore automagically know how other humans will experience their software. (Or, if the other humans don't experience their software in the expected way, then the other humans are obviously just too stupid to be using it in the first place.)

The developer apparently thinks that if his software makes perfect sense to himself, then it obviously should make perfect sense to the users (even though those users are not intimately familiar with it, not having been already deeply immersed in it for several months when they begin to use it).

Car mechanics don't assume that their customers ought to know everything that they know about their cars. Airline pilots don't assume that their passengers must be stupid if they don't know how to fly the plane. What is it about software developers?
<End of rant>

P.S. I agree with you about the forum comment from Thomas above regarding notifications via the forum -- while yes, you should post important notifications to the forum, you cannot expect that every customer will register for the forum, much less that they'll be checking it daily. Setting up a by-subscription mailing list is also a good idea -- but for critically important events (such as with the 2.01 Final bug), a subscriber mailing list is also insufficient.

So, I think that preparing the ability to quickly notify all customers of a critically important event, via email, is the best idea.
RSchiaffino

How to *move* tags to new section?

Postby RSchiaffino » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:01 am

Now that there are sections (thank you for the new feature), is there a way to move entire tags / groups of tags (with their notes) to a new section?

Say I have hundreds of notes tagged as "A", hundreds tagged as "B", and so on. I create a new section (e.g. "old projects"). Is there a way to easily move, say, all notes tagged as "A" to the new section, while leaving the notes tagged as "B" untouched?

I know I could filter so as to display only the notes with a certain tag, select them all, and paste them in the new section (and then delete the now empty tags from the section from which they were cut), but is there a way to do it faster?

What I envisage is something like selecting a tag (or multiselect several different tags) and drag them to the new section.
RSchiaffino

Bug when deleting empty tags from a section

Postby RSchiaffino » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:13 am

Not sure if this is a bug or if it is a very unexpected behavior.

Example:

You want to move all notes with tag "A" from Section "First" to section "Second"

1. In section "First", select tag "A"
2. Select All
3. Cut all notes
4. Paste them in section "Second"

At this point you have all the notes tagged as A in section "Second", and empty tag "A" in Section "First"

5. Select tag "A" in section "First"

The tag is deleted... and it is also deleted from section "Second" (all notes in section "Second" previously tagged as "A" are now in section "Second" but as "untagged").

Expected: either tags deleted only in the current section /or/ at least a warning message that deleting empty tags is the first section would also remove the non-empty tags from the second section (with all the corresponding sub-tags).

As it is there does not seem to be a way to remove the tags from the first section, after moving the corresponding notes to a second section.
ChrisCN

Re: How to *move* tags to new section?

Postby ChrisCN » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:52 am

RSchiaffino wrote:Now that there are sections (thank you for the new feature), is there a way to move entire tags / groups of tags (with their notes) to a new section?

Say I have hundreds of notes tagged as "A", hundreds tagged as "B", and so on. I create a new section (e.g. "old projects"). Is there a way to easily move, say, all notes tagged as "A" to the new section, while leaving the notes tagged as "B" untouched?

I know I could filter so as to display only the notes with a certain tag, select them all, and paste them in the new section (and then delete the now empty tags from the section from which they were cut), but is there a way to do it faster?

What I envisage is something like selecting a tag (or multiselect several different tags) and drag them to the new section.

I am not sure if you haven't answered the question yourself (filter -> then in the context menu use "move to section").
I only spot one misunderstanding. As far as I understand it there is NO need/possibility to move the tags between sections as the different section all share the same tags (which I personally find a useful feature)!
ChrisCN

Re: Bug when deleting empty tags from a section

Postby ChrisCN » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:09 am

RSchiaffino wrote:Not sure if this is a bug or if it is a very unexpected behavior.
At this point you have all the notes tagged as A in section "Second", and empty tag "A" in Section "First"
5. Select tag "A" in section "First"
The tag is deleted... and it is also deleted from section "Second" (all notes in section "Second" previously tagged as "A" are now in section "Second" but as "untagged").

Tags are shared between all sections only notes are distinctively assigned to sections (see my reply above).

You can also use this to your advantage:
If you have a complex tag hierarchy to manage tasks
and store both private and business tasks in the same cintanotes file...

-> you can use sections to easily separate them (private vs. business)
-> but you can (re-)use your established tagging system (hierarchy) for both of them

Hope this helps
Chris
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:52 am

RSchiaffino wrote:Expected: either tags deleted only in the current section /or/ at least a warning message that deleting empty tags is the first section would also remove the non-empty tags from the second section (with all the corresponding sub-tags).

I think the current behaviour is fine, but i support your suggestion to have a warning message, e.g. "Deleting the tag will remove the tag from notes in other sections. Are you sure.....?".
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:53 am

Hi RSchiaffino

One additional remark:
If you have tags that are marked as 'Auto deleted' in the proberties of the tag
then the tag magically disappears from the section after you have moved all notes with this tag to a new section
(but is still there and also shown in the new section).
--> I think this is the behaviour you are searching for!?
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:12 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:
RSchiaffino wrote:Expected: either tags deleted only in the current section /or/ at least a warning message that deleting empty tags is the first section would also remove the non-empty tags from the second section (with all the corresponding sub-tags).

I think the current behaviour is fine, but i support your suggestion to have a warning message, e.g. "Deleting the tag will remove the tag from notes in other sections. Are you sure.....?".
I too agree.
There is already a warning message -> it just needs a hint that this will effect all sections.

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”