Feature Requests

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Feature Requests

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:53 pm

StarryLu wrote:What I really want is a 2 or 3 click solution for turning Web selections or web articles into text files with the same name as the first line of the selected text, which is mostly the name of the article, and then a choice in what folder to put the new selection.txt file into.

Well, I've thought of making an optional "sorting office" dialog, which will popup right after you clip some text. This dialog
will differ from the normal edit dialog in such a way that the main purpose would be quick one-click assignment of tags and categories. I guess it will be possible to have saving as text file in this dialog too.

But, could you share, why do you need to do this in exactly this fashion? Why having the texts as categorized notes won't do?
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Feature Requests I FORGOT SOMETHING

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:56 pm

StarryLu wrote:And it would have to be right clickable in FIREFOX (or other web browser?)
Therefore you could make it a very handy add-on in Firefox which would give you publicity for your extension and your Cinta program as well, through the ADD ON page. Not bad no?
Something to think about
Greetings!
Great idea that is definitely worth doing. I just don't know when I will be able to get to this)
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:59 pm

toddclausen wrote:One feature I would be interested in would be a set of a few "favorite" notes that could be immediately edited via hotkey. For example a todo list. It would be nice to hit Win + 1 for example to open my to do list in the edit mode to add a new item as opposed to going to CintaNotes, searching for the list then editing. Win + 1 through 9 could be mapped to different notes. Additionally, if text were selected in another application Win + 1 could automatically add it to the bottom of my specified note.

Nice idea, but the very point of keeping a list in a single note is not very appealing to me. After all, I hope CintaNotes will evolve as a good list manager. So you will be able to have a "Todo" tab, and all tasks will be separate items there, and you will be able to easily flag notes with quick-tags like "finished" or "important". How about that?
Alex
gman_au

Postby gman_au » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:09 am

In the existing tags field, a pull down list of previously used tags would be great that can "auto-complete" as i spell the tag out.
toddclausen

Postby toddclausen » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:35 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
toddclausen wrote:One feature I would be interested in would be a set of a few "favorite" notes that could be immediately edited via hotkey. For example a todo list. It would be nice to hit Win + 1 for example to open my to do list in the edit mode to add a new item as opposed to going to CintaNotes, searching for the list then editing. Win + 1 through 9 could be mapped to different notes. Additionally, if text were selected in another application Win + 1 could automatically add it to the bottom of my specified note.

Nice idea, but the very point of keeping a list in a single note is not very appealing to me. After all, I hope CintaNotes will evolve as a good list manager. So you will be able to have a "Todo" tab, and all tasks will be separate items there, and you will be able to easily flag notes with quick-tags like "finished" or "important". How about that?

As I use CintaNotes more and more, I am getting into your way of thinking - I have moved beyond feeling the need to sort notes, using search works so well. mrthermister had a great review of good GTD tagging principles in this thread: thttp://cintanotes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25&p=345#p345. The merge functionality works perfectly to put multiple notes together. Thanks!
-Todd
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:17 am

gman_au wrote:In the existing tags field, a pull down list of previously used tags would be great that can "auto-complete" as i spell the tag out.
Tag autocomplete is already on the roadmap with high priority, so stay tuned! It will appear in one of the next versions.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:19 am

toddclausen wrote:As I use CintaNotes more and more, I am getting into your way of thinking - I have moved beyond feeling the need to sort notes, using search works so well. mrthermister had a great review of good GTD tagging principles in this thread: thttp://cintanotes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25&p=345#p345. The merge functionality works perfectly to put multiple notes together. Thanks!
Well, it's great to hear that, but I guess note sorting and reordering will stay on the roadmap nonetheless - they are important tools for working with information. It will be up to you then when to use them.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:32 am

ale wrote:Hello, first of all I would like to say thank you, CintaNotes is already a nice and useful application at this point of development. I liked particularly: Unicode support, being portable and self contained, being small, fast and responsive.

Hello and thanks for your feedback. I'm sorry it took me so long to reply.
ale wrote:About formatting, I think CintaNotes should stay basically a plain text notes editor as opposed to a very rich text formatting, so I would like to see an easy and fast way to use just two fonts, a monospaced font and a proportional font.
This is really what I plan to do, I don't intend to support fancy formatting beyond basic things like monospaced font, tabs, links, bold/italic and (maybe) lists.
ale wrote:Another feature I always like to have in text editors is a button to show hidden characters which basically means a way to see spaces, new lines and tab characters (a nice touch if you will ever implement this is see those hidden characters with a lighter colour respect to surrounding text, I mean for example black for text and a lighter shade of gray for those hidden characters)
Well as I understand it, this mode is really useful in full-power word processing apps with all possible formatting options, so that you really need this mode to see what's going on. In CintaNotes with its very basic formatting, I doubt that it will be that useful. But I may be wrong, of couse, so it would be helpful if anyone would second this request?
ale wrote:I read a bit about the modified date suggestions... I think of a note like a piece of text which has some attributes, creation date is one of these and also modifed date may be one of these and so on. I would like never lose these attributes which I consider an integral part of the note. To make an example of why I consider them important, let's think to sorting, we can make an alphabetical sorting but I would like to always be able to return to the previous situation where there's not really sorting but notes are in the order we inserted them so creation date would be used to do so.

Yes I call that "user sorting". Note reordering will be possible in this mode only. At least this is the way I'm going to do it.
ale wrote:Generally I like every command not being destructive regarding what it does so we can always go back to the previous state
Right now the only way to undo is to load the notebook backup, which is saved every 10 minutes. But the support for real undo/redo is necessary, I agree.
ale wrote:Finally about tags would be nice to have a way to fast apply a tag (maybe a special kind of tag?) like a mean to temporary mark a note or some notes, a kind of checkmark. Ideally we would apply and remove this mark with a single click of the mouse (or with a hotkey for those who use the keyboard more than the mouse)

This is a great idea, it just needs a bit more design, like what exactly will it look like etc.

Thanks for your input and hope you enjoy the next versions as well!
Alex
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:58 pm

toddclausen wrote:

As I use CintaNotes more and more, I am getting into your way of thinking - I have moved beyond feeling the need to sort notes, using search works so well. mrthermister had a great review of good GTD tagging principles in this thread: thttp://cintanotes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25&p=345#p345. The merge functionality works perfectly to put multiple notes together. Thanks!

I like the idea of the To-Do list - with one To-DO per note - and I an swapping to that usage.
But most of my To-Dos are one line with a To-Do tag - and I would prefer them displayed on one line each.
But when I do a tag search on To-Do I get
-the title – which is my To-Do action
-the note body – one blank line (can this be removed?) (min lines set to 7)
-the tags (not sure what to suggest here but I would prefer it was not on a separate line)
Nod
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:10 am

Noddy330 wrote:I like the idea of the To-Do list - with one To-DO per note - and I an swapping to that usage.
But most of my To-Dos are one line with a To-Do tag - and I would prefer them displayed on one line each.
-the tags (not sure what to suggest here but I would prefer it was not on a separate line)
Nod
I'm aware of this problem. I guess I'll do the following to address it:
1) Remove the empty line when there's no body.
2) Provide an option to display tags on the same line with title, "compact" mode.
n the future when tabs come along, this will be configurable per tab.
Alex

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:27 am

Noddy330 wrote:I like the idea of the To-Do list - with one To-DO per note - and I an swapping to that usage.
Nod
2) Provide an option to display tags on the same line with title, "compact" mode.

Again, excellent and thanks for your responsiveness
Nod

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:31 am

Hello,

i would like to use that programm, it looks really nice and like what i've been looking for.
the only thing is, that the position of the note isn't stored, but its always on the right of the primary monitor. I'm using a two-monitor-System, where the left monitor is the primary, so the note always appears in the middle of the two screens :(
I'd like to open the notes on the position i closed the last one, but they don't. Maybe thats a chance that can be made for one of the next Versions. thank you.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:30 am

Guest wrote:i would like to use that programm, it looks really nice and like what i've been looking for.
the only thing is, that the position of the note isn't stored, but its always on the right of the primary monitor. I'm using a two-monitor-System, where the left monitor is the primary, so the note always appears in the middle of the two screens :(
I'd like to open the notes on the position i closed the last one, but they don't. Maybe thats a chance that can be made for one of the next Versions. thank you.

Hello and thanks for your post!
Frankly speaking I haven't tested CintaNotes on a multi-monitor system, so the problem you describe is probably a bug. I will try to reproduce it and fix it.
Alex
Dana

Postby Dana » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:53 am

Thanks so much for this great Tool! Image Image

It would be a great feature if all links from a website would be picked up.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:05 am

Dana wrote:Thanks so much for this great Tool! Image Image

It would be a great feature if all links from a website would be picked up.

Thanks for your kind words! Automatic HTML link recognition is already on the roadmap, so stay tuned for new versions.
Alex
Dana

Postby Dana » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:48 pm

A search history would be great, maybe with 5-10 search entries, erasable.
Thanks.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:15 pm

Dana wrote:A search history would be great, maybe with 5-10 search entries, erasable.
Thanks.

Yes, this has already been suggested and is on the roadmap. Thanks anyway!
Alex
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:00 am

Nod

Hi, Is - Provide an option to display tags on the same line with title, "compact" mode.
included in - #167 feature Condensed display of notes without text
This would be really good for me.
Thanks, Nod
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:20 am

Noddy330 wrote:Hi, Is - Provide an option to display tags on the same line with title, "compact" mode.
Thanks, Nod

Yes, I was planning this already as part of #132
Alex
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:27 am

Noddy330 wrote:Hi, Is - Provide an option to display tags on the same line with title, "compact" mode.
Thanks, Nod

Yes, I was planning this already as part of #132

Good, thanks. Nod

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”