[Ann] CintaNotes 2.0.2 Beta 2

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

[Ann] CintaNotes 2.0.2 Beta 2

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:57 am

Jan 17, 2013 - Version 2.0.2 Beta2

In this version:

(in green - what's new since 2.0.2 Beta 1)

Enhancements:
  • Remember full view state of each open notebook
  • Specifying proxy settings for internet connection
    New menu item "Options/System/Proxy settings"

• Links to notes: don't display current note's title in the dropdown
  • Links to notes: display 'Delete Note Link' only when the caret is on note link
  • Tab widths are now configurable via the "sectionbar.tab.width" parameters in the cintanotes.settings file
  • Improved notebook opening error diagnosis
  • Added option "ui.profeatures.hide" to hide paid features in menus
  • Displaying program version in tray tooltip
  • Options/System: Perform UAC elevation instead of just displaying error

Fixes:
  • Tag sidebar: mouse wheel scrolling not working
  • Slow search and tab switching on notebooks having 1000+ tags
  • Links to notes: failure to focus target note link
  • Links to notes: message dialogs were not modal
  • Simplenote sync: impossible to search while downloading notes
  • Editor: format toggle not always working
  • Editor: wrong text selected after paste + undo
  • Editor: Alt+BkSp not working
  • Editor: caret should be moved on right-click
  • Editor: bullet list stops when ENTER on filled line
  • Editor: formatting is pasted into editor with disabled formatting
  • Possible crash on mouse wheel in search box
  • Possible SQLite Error 14: unable to open database file

Download:
Installable: CintaNotes_2_0_2_Beta2_Setup.exe
Portable: CintaNotes_2_0_2_Beta2.zip

Reports welcome, thanks!
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.0.2 Beta 2

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:29 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Options/System: Perform UAC elevation instead of just displaying error

Fine :) However, i had expected a confirmation message, e.g. "The link protocol was successfully registered.".

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Editor: caret should be moved on right-click

I like the new behaviour :) The bug of not showing the caret on a link is still there. Of course you didn't mention a fix ;)

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Editor: bullet list stops when ENTER on filled line

A quick test worked fine. I need to observe the issue though.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Fine :) However, i had expected a confirmation message, e.g. "The link protocol was successfully registered.".

Good catch! Will be added in the 2.0.2 final, thanks.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I like the new behaviour :) The bug of not showing the caret on a link is still there. Of course you didn't mention a fix ;)
I've checked with Wordpad and MS Word and turns out they behave exactly the same - the caret is not visible when some text is selected. So this is not a bug.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:A quick test worked fine. I need to observe the issue though.

Ok, thanks!
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:26 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Thomas Lohrum wrote:I like the new behaviour :) The bug of not showing the caret on a link is still there. Of course you didn't mention a fix ;)
I've checked with Wordpad and MS Word and turns out they behave exactly the same - the caret is not visible when some text is selected. So this is not a bug.

Delphi's editor shows the caret. Word doesn't. So it is a matter of preferences. No problem. I agree it is not a bug. I am aware now, it depends on a selection, which in coincidence is true for a link.

Thomas
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:33 am

I'm not sure about this behavior...
If I enter a tag name into the search box and hit enter (not CTRL-Enter) this tag gets selected!
I thought it is necessary to use CTRL-Enter. Is this a feature or a bug?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:55 am

ChrisCN wrote:I'm not sure about this behavior...
If I enter a tag name into the search box and hit enter (not CTRL-Enter) this tag gets selected!

It's a feature. Ctrl+Enter now mimics Ctrl+Click on a tag, and Alt+enter is Alt+click. So simple Enter is simple click.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:56 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Delphi's editor shows the caret. Word doesn't. So it is a matter of preferences. No problem. I agree it is not a bug. I am aware now, it depends on a selection, which in coincidence is true for a link.

Good, so let's leave it at that for now :)
Alex
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:22 am

It's a feature. Ctrl+Enter now mimics Ctrl+Click on a tag, and Alt+enter is Alt+click. So simple Enter is simple click.
Cool - missed that one :)
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:45 am

You didn't mention this in the release notes. I didn't notice it yet, since i use tags for searching only rarely. Does it change the previous behaviour of Ctrl+Enter?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:07 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:You didn't mention this in the release notes. I didn't notice it yet, since i use tags for searching only rarely. Does it change the previous behaviour of Ctrl+Enter?

Didn't I? It was added in 1.8.5.
Yes, it does change the previous behavior. Previously, Ctrl+Enter would reset old tag selection (which was inconsistent with Ctrl+Click on tag sidebar).
Now Ctrl+Enter adds to current tag selection. To switch tag selection you now use simple Enter.

In case you don't want tag recognition, don't press Enter: use Tab or Down key to go to the notes list.

IMO the fact that the feature is there for more than a month, and you didn't notice it, speaks that it doesn't interfere with normal search :)
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:13 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:You didn't mention this in the release notes. I didn't notice it yet, since i use tags for searching only rarely. Does it change the previous behaviour of Ctrl+Enter?
Didn't I? It was added in 1.8.5.
Yes, it does change the previous behavior. Previously, Ctrl+Enter would reset old tag selection (which was inconsistent with Ctrl+Click on tag sidebar). Now Ctrl+Enter adds to current tag selection. To switch tag selection you now use simple Enter. In case you don't want tag recognition, don't press Enter: use Tab or Down key to go to the notes list. IMO the fact that the feature is there for more than a month, and you didn't notice it, speaks that it doesn't interfere with normal search :)

Thank's for the complete anwser. Well, i didn't notice, since i use tag search only rarely ;) Nevertheless, it didn't hurt me yet. So it seems to be a change to make tag-search more consistent and easier. If you don't like the behaviour you can also use space to accept the tag, which requires you have that option checked.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:00 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Yes, it does change the previous behavior. Previously, Ctrl+Enter would reset old tag selection (which was inconsistent with Ctrl+Click on tag sidebar). Now Ctrl+Enter adds to current tag selection. To switch tag selection you now use simple Enter. In case you don't want tag recognition, don't press Enter: use Tab or Down key to go to the notes list. IMO the fact that the feature is there for more than a month, and you didn't notice it, speaks that it doesn't interfere with normal search :)

The reason i might not have noticed it, is the fact, that you must enter the tag name entirely before pressing ENTER. This is contrary to Ctrl+ENTER which supports tag completion. When i press ENTER the tag name is accepted, but it does not fire a tag selection. Should i consider this a bug? Btw., you can not use space to accept the tag in the searchbar. I don't remember why, only that we had a discussion on this in the past.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:07 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Btw., you can not use space to accept the tag in the searchbar. I don't remember why, only that we had a discussion on this in the past.

I think it is because of convenience when entering a search phrase. The requirements for searching are different compared to creating tags for a new note.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:28 am

Bug: Text containing an internal note's link looses the link target, when cutting and pasting over the clipboard. Very easy to reproduce.

Thomas
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:27 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Bug: Text containing an internal note's link looses the link target, when cutting and pasting over the clipboard. Very easy to reproduce.
Thomas
Hi Thomas - thanks for finding this (sooner or later I will need this feature) - and yes 'easy to reproduce'
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:48 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Bug: Text containing an internal note's link looses the link target, when cutting and pasting over the clipboard. Very easy to reproduce.

Thomas

Confirmed! We are already at fixing it, probably will be released in 2.0.3. Thanks!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:49 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Nevertheless, it didn't hurt me yet. So it seems to be a change to make tag-search more consistent and easier. If you don't like the behaviour you can also use space to accept the tag, which requires you have that option checked.

Exactly :)
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:53 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:The reason i might not have noticed it, is the fact, that you must enter the tag name entirely before pressing ENTER. This is contrary to Ctrl+ENTER which supports tag completion. When i press ENTER the tag name is accepted, but it does not fire a tag selection. Should i consider this a bug?

Difficult to say. I tend to consider it a feature. It allows you to postpone the decision of which tag operation to apply till you've entered all tags.
E.g. the current behavior is convenient when you want to enter 5 tags and then press Alt+Enter one time. Otherwise you'd have to press Alt+Enter 5 times.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Btw., you can not use space to accept the tag in the searchbar. I don't remember why, only that we had a discussion on this in the past.

Accepting on space was interfering with entering words which happen to be prefixes of some tags, this is why it was disabled in the search box.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:27 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:The reason i might not have noticed it, is the fact, that you must enter the tag name entirely before pressing ENTER. This is contrary to Ctrl+ENTER which supports tag completion. When i press ENTER the tag name is accepted, but it does not fire a tag selection. Should i consider this a bug?
Difficult to say. I tend to consider it a feature. It allows you to postpone the decision of which tag operation to apply till you've entered all tags. E.g. the current behavior is convenient when you want to enter 5 tags and then press Alt+Enter one time. Otherwise you'd have to press Alt+Enter 5 times.

In the meantime i realized this myself. I no longer want to change the behaviour, because it would give us other problems. However, one incosistency remains: When you enter a word that matches a tag, the tag selection box opens. I can press Ctrl+Enter or Alt+Enter to select the tag and execute tag selection in one step. Contrary pressing ENTER will accept the tag, but not execute any action.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:46 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:In the meantime i realized this myself. I no longer want to change the behaviour, because it would give us other problems. However, one incosistency remains: When you enter a word that matches a tag, the tag selection box opens. I can press Ctrl+Enter or Alt+Enter to select the tag and execute tag selection in one step. Contrary pressing ENTER will accept the tag, but not execute any action.

Making plain ENTER immediately switch to this tag would make the feature much less convenient for me.
Sometimes convenience outweighs consistency, and I think this is exactly the case.

I want to ask for a 3rd opinion here. Could someone else please chime in and tell us which way would you prefer it to work? Thanks!
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”