How to turn off minimize-on-ESC

Mark S.

How to turn off minimize-on-ESC

Postby Mark S. » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:30 pm

Sometimes you want to clear CN of all tags and searches. 3 quick taps of the escape key should do it -- except that the 2nd or 3rd tap minimizes CN. Even setting "Always on top" doesn't change this behavior.

Is there some way to turn off the minimize-on-ESC behavior? I don't think I have any other application that will disappear from the screen when I strike Escape!

Thanks!
Mark
Thomas Lohrum

Re: How to turn off minimize-on-ESC

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:49 pm

Mark S. wrote:Sometimes you want to clear CN of all tags and searches. 3 quick taps of the escape key should do it -- except that the 2nd or 3rd tap minimizes CN. Even setting "Always on top" doesn't change this behavior. Is there some way to turn off the minimize-on-ESC behavior? I don't think I have any other application that will disappear from the screen when I strike Escape! Thanks! Mark

Hi Mark,

i don't think there is a way to prevent CN from closing when pressing the ESC-key. I have similar negative experiences about the "unpredictable" behaviour of the ESC-key. You might find the following requests interesting:

http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/106 ... ngle-step/
http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/835 ... on-search/

In case it is always clear, that the first ESC will clear any filter and the second will close CN, the problems described might go away. Actually it comes in handy to close CN by pressing ESC.

Thomas
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:43 pm

Hi Mark

Well there are a few apps that minimize on escape and it is common for some dialog windows to close when hitting escape.
On the other hand I agree that this is annoying. You never know how many times you have to hit escape because it depends whether you have some text in the search box or whether some tags are selected.

I strongly encourage everyone to vote via the links Thomas provided.
Mark S.

Postby Mark S. » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:25 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:
Mark S. wrote:Sometimes you want to clear CN of all tags and searches. 3 quick taps of the escape key should do it -- except that the 2nd or 3rd
http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/106 ... ngle-step/
http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/835 ... on-search/

Neither of these are quite the way that I would want it. I just want to CN to stay open if I hit ESC 3 or 4 times -- like in most apps.

What I want is to hit the ESC 3 times and have everything cleared and ready for a new search. I don't even mind if it beeps at me when I hit the extra ESC or two. Its the "minimize-on-ESC" behavior that is unique to CintatNotes. Yes, you close out Dialog boxes in other apps by hitting ESC - but it doesn't usually minimize the entire application!

If I want to minimize I can deliberately pick the minimize icon or use Alt-spacebar N. Or, if we need a special keystroke for minimizing CN, it could be the same keystroke already assigned in the hotkeys for bringing CN up.

Thanks,
Mark
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:28 am

Hi Mark

I think what we have in common is that we all dislike that the same key is used for clearing the filter(s) and for minimizing the application.
The difference is how we suggest to solve it.
I would also support your suggestion to simply get an option to disable the 'minimize on esc' feature. So you could submit this suggestion to the roadmap (if you do so - I would vote). The only bad thing about it would be that the votes would get split across different suggestion all trying to solve the same underlying problem. (Then again Alex will be aware of that and will choose whatever solution he likes best).

In the long run we will (hopefully) get this feature http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/3800-fully-configurable-keyboard-shortcuts/
and will be able to configure the keys to our liking.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:02 pm

Mark S. wrote:Is there some way to turn off the minimize-on-ESC behavior?

Unfortunately at the moment there isn't. Would it help if I added such an option? Smth like "Options/Window/Minimize on Esc"?
Alex
Mark S.

Postby Mark S. » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:13 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Mark S. wrote:Is there some way to turn off the minimize-on-ESC behavior?

Unfortunately at the moment there isn't. Would it help if I added such an option? Smth like "Options/Window/Minimize on Esc"?

That would be great!

Thanks,
Mark
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:16 am

Mark S. wrote:That would be great!

Please check out the new Beta 2 where it is implemented: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1537
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”