multiple users

hiyata

multiple users

Postby hiyata » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:11 pm

I have been looking for something like this app for months. It is simple, straightforward, and not any feature bloat. It offers everything I am looking for. However, I need multiuser access. My goal is to install it to a network drive so multiple users can update the notebook.dat at the same time. Anyone tried this or know what the results are when it comes time for a save?

Also, anyone run into an limitation as far as the maximum number of records?

Thanks, excellent application that I hope to see grow and expand.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: multiple users

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:28 am

Hello,
hiyata wrote:I have been looking for something like this app for months. It is simple, straightforward, and not any feature bloat. It offers everything I am looking for. However, I need multiuser access. My goal is to install it to a network drive so multiple users can update the notebook.dat at the same time. Anyone tried this or know what the results are when it comes time for a save?
Frankly speaking I'm not planning shared datafile access at the moment, since the main goal of CintaNotes is to be a personal notes manager. The simultaneous multiuser access is also difficult to implement as it introduces the nasty issues of locking etc.
But there will be an option to import whole notebooks and also to load notes back from XML, so you can as least do some file-based solution.
hiyata wrote:Also, anyone run into an limitation as far as the maximum number of records?
The theoretical limit lies at 4 billion notes. But of course that's theory) I've tested CintaNotes to run on a base with 10000 notes, and it runs fine. But for the current version I don't recommend running CintaNotes directly from the flash drive in this case - it will be slow. Right now CintaNotes keeps the whole notebook in memory and saves it to the disk each time something changes.
This is of course quite inefficient, and I'll change this in one of the next versions, where I plan to migrate to an SQLite database. Hope this information will help you to make a better choice.
Alex
Midas

Postby Midas » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:16 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Hello,
hiyata wrote:[...]
Right now CintaNotes keeps the whole notebook in memory and saves it to the disk each time something changes.
This is of course quite inefficient, and I'll change this in one of the next versions, where I plan to migrate to an SQLite database. Hope this information will help you to make a better choice.

Yeah! CN will grow to be quite unavoidable in the notetaking field with such improvement... :mrgreen:

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:18 pm

Hi, SQLite is'nt a best idea. There is Firebird database!

sry my poor English, its only my fourth language :(

CintaNotes Developer wrote: This is of course quite inefficient, and I'll change this in one of the next versions, where I plan to migrate to an SQLite database. Hope this information will help you to make a better choice.
Midas

Postby Midas » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:27 pm

Guest wrote:Hi, SQLite is'nt a best idea. There is Firebird database!

Yep, Firebird has been awarded as "Best Project for the Enterprise" in 2007 & 2009 at Sourceforge, which must mean something. But in my experience it doesn't look as light as SQLite...

Guest wrote:sry my poor English, its only my fourth language :(

[...]

:lol: Never mind that, as long as we can understand each other...
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”