Site Admin

[Ann] CintaNotes 2.2 Beta1

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:13 am

Apr 28, 2013 - Version 2.2 Beta 1

In this version:

Features:
  • Simplenote sync: support for syncing of multiple sections
Enhancements:
  • Unified portable and installer versions into one distributive which can be installed both ways.
  • Simplenote sync: got rid of "Uid:" lines in synced notes
  • Recycle bin: added column with first non-empty text line from deleted note
  • Recycle bin: view deleted note on double-click.
Fixes:
  • Notes list: note color didn't change when note was moved to another section
  • Reverted back to SQLite 3.7.13 due to performance and stability issues
  • Recycle bin: note couldn't be restored when section didn't exist

Download:
CintaNotes_2_2_Beta1_Setup.exe

WARNING: This version will check for license validity. If you have a Personal or Company license and your updates subscription period is over, this version will prompt you to either renew your license or downgrade to Basic (Free) license. (Downgrading to Basic (Free) license won't delete any of your data.)
Alex
Noddy330

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.2 Beta1

Postby Noddy330 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:52 am

Something amiss with sync of multiple sections. Switched on sync all sections, created new section (test) with a few new notes.
Went to another PC, upgraded, set sync all sections, but the new section was not created. In my main section I have a few notes tagged #section/Test and #section/Main. I have manually created section test, but nothing changed.
I tidied up using the section selector at the bottom of an open note. And have deleted the #section tags.
At the end of this, after I saw my tag list was not indented, which made me recollected my tag list (except for All & Untagged, I think) was intended a few (two?) characters after upgrade.

Ref the licence. I had a new licence but hadn’t applied it. I upgraded the software but didn't want to downgrade to the free version, so could not apply the new registration until I had regressed. I use personal version. No big deal, nothing lost, but could be easier.

Nod
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:13 am

Hi Nod,

thanks a lot for taking the time to try out the beta!
I have a couple of questions:

1) Were both copies of CN registered when you made the sync?
2) How many sections did you have, was it more than 3? May it be that sections didn't get created because it was a free version and you hit the limit of max 3 sections?
3) When tag list is not indented, it indicates that tag hierarchy (tag tree) is not active - i.e. it is unregistered version.
4) " I upgraded the software but could not apply the new registration until I had regressed." - what exactly happened, why couldn't you apply the new registration?

Thanks!
Alex
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:28 am

1) Were both copies of CN registered when you made the sync?
Yes – the first registered to an upgrade licence just before upgrading the software – the second registered the upgrade licence for a few weeks.

2) How many sections did you have, was it more than 3? May it be that sections didn't get created because it was a free version and you hit the limit of max 3 sections?
2 – Main and Test

3) When tag list is not indented, it indicates that tag hierarchy (tag tree) is not active - i.e. it is unregistered version.
Ok, but it wasn't unregistered. I’d assumed it was due to the #section tags that were not displayed din the tag list.

4) " I upgraded the software but could not apply the new registration until I had regressed." - what exactly happened, why couldn't you apply the new registration?
I couldlhave, but chose to upgrade first, and then I couldn’t see how to apply my new licence without downgrading to the free version.

Nod
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:35 am

Noddy330 wrote:Yes – the first registered to an upgrade licence just before upgrading the software – the second registered the upgrade licence for a few weeks.

I see, actually it was dumb of me ask that, since in the free version Simplenote sync is not available :)
A debug log would help us immensely. Can you maybe reproduce the problem with debug logging on (better on both sides)?
(WARNING: log may contain your SN password [sometimes needed to debug SN authentication problems], please remove it before sending).

Ok, but it wasn't unregistered. I’d assumed it was due to the #section tags that were not displayed din the tag list.

If you didn't have any other hierarchic tag, then this must indeed be the case.
Actually it looks very much like the second copy wasn't 2.2 Beta, but was an earlier version. Then all would happen as you've described,
since versions before 2.2 Beta won't give any special treatment to the #section tags. So, are you 100% sure that both CNs were 2.2 Beta?
Also it would help to see how did these tags appear in the Simplenote online app.

Well, I couldn’t see how to apply my new licence without downgrading to the free version.

Oh, so you mean you had to press Ctrl+Del to delete your outdated license first? Actually this is not necessary if you use clipping for registration. Did you register via entering reg. name and key manually?
Thanks!
Alex
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:46 am

I’m not sure I want to regress to the old software and my old database, having added some new notes and alerted some others. But I will try with another new section.

Here’s what I did, written another way.

PC1. Running 2.1.1 with section Main synced. Started upgrade – asked to register or downgrade – installation stopped. Version 2.1.1 reinstalled. Upgrade registration key applied. Software upgraded. Set to sync all sections. New section Test created – with 3 new notes. One new note added to Main. Manual sync.

PC2. Software upgraded. Auto sync on start-up created 4 new notes with #section/xxx tags, and indented tag list. Sync set to all sections. Manual sync. No change.

Nod
Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:26 pm

Five sections (5313 notes) successfully synced with Simplenote. A few minutes later they all showed up on my iPad in the Simplenote app. The process went smoothly. Keep up the good work.
Tim
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:16 am

All looks OK now, and as expected.
I've used 2 PCs, both on 2.2. beta 1, both with sync all sections set.
I've created and deleted sections and notes - and they have all synced OK.
Nod
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:40 am

Nod, thanks a lot for the additional details.
Do I understand correctly that under "Software upgraded" you mean upgrading to 2.2 Beta 1?
Great that it works ok now. As I've already said, it looks very much like that the first time one of the copies
still were 2.1.1 and not 2.2 Beta1. But if you're sure, we'll put more effort into testing.
Thanks again!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:43 am

Tim wrote:Five sections (5313 notes) successfully synced with Simplenote. A few minutes later they all showed up on my iPad in the Simplenote app. The process went smoothly. Keep up the good work.
Tim

That's great, thanks for letting us know!
But next time don't forget to make extra backups, beta versions shouldn't be trusted with all your hard-collected data :)
Alex
Noddy330

Postby Noddy330 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:19 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Nod, thanks a lot for the additional details.
Do I understand correctly that under "Software upgraded" you mean upgrading to 2.2 Beta 1?
Great that it works ok now. As I've already said, it looks very much like that the first time one of the copies
still were 2.1.1 and not 2.2 Beta1. But if you're sure, we'll put more effort into testing.
Thanks again!

Yes - By software upgrade I meant install personal copy of 2.2 Beta 1 in the directory that held 2.1.1.
Well, I *think* I was on 2.2 beta 1, but can't be aboutely certain - I'd hold fire on any futher invesigation on my behalf.
Nod
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri May 03, 2013 6:49 am

Noddy330 wrote:Yes - By software upgrade I meant install personal copy of 2.2 Beta 1 in the directory that held 2.1.1.
Well, I *think* I was on 2.2 beta 1, but can't be aboutely certain - I'd hold fire on any futher invesigation on my behalf.
Nod

All right :) thanks a lot for your help. And please let me know if you notice anything fishy again ;)
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”