How many or limit of words in database?

danielson

How many or limit of words in database?

Postby danielson » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:00 pm

Just curious!

What is the maximum word count for CN database?
Arseniy (CN Support)

Re: How many or limit of words in database?

Postby Arseniy (CN Support) » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:04 am

danielson wrote:Just curious!

What is the maximum word count for CN database?

Hello Danielson!
Please note that CN database size is not measured in words, it is measured in bytes.
CN relies on SQLite database architecture, so the maximum database file size is about 140 terabytes or bit more than 4 billion notes.
Maximum note size is quite large, but putting in more than 200 kb of text is impractical cause it can result in CN slowing down.
Here you can find out much more about limits in SQLite database architecture - http://www.sqlite.org/limits.html
Thank you!
danielson

Postby danielson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:20 pm

Thanks for the feedback! (Even if you lost me with the data info on that link) :D

Anyway, if 200kb would be a reasonable size in order for CN to work well, then i guess we can never dream of having it hold too many graphic images.

It's handy to have multiple databases but if you ever want to search them, that could be an issue for some.
Mark S.

Postby Mark S. » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:01 am

danielson wrote:Anyway, if 200kb would be a reasonable size in order for CN to work well, then i guess we can never dream of having it hold too many graphic images.

It's handy to have multiple databases but if you ever want to search them, that could be an issue for some.

The suggested limit of 200kb is for a single text note. The text has to be processed and indexed which takes processing power. This would not be the case for images which would not need additional processing outside of storage.

Mark
danielson

Postby danielson » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:28 am

Okay. So if i understand well, we're talking note size and not so much about database size.
Mark S.

Postby Mark S. » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:31 pm

The sqlite numbers suggest virtually unlimited database size. In real life, you need to have a database that responds quickly. You don't want to wait 30 minutes for every key stroke. The best way to determine limits on this is to see how much others have been able to usefully put in.

I have a 15Mb database for testing. Its just slightly sluggish. Maybe each keystroke takes a .5 second to process in the search. So I'm guessing that a 30Mb database (text) might bog down and be the upper limit on my machine. But I have an older machine, so someone else might be able to push it comfortably to (still guessing) to 50Mb.

Maybe others could provide their large-scale experiences.

Mark

Edit: Note that I'm only talking text size (which is all we have to look at right now). Whether images affect the application will probably depend on the implementation. I'm guessing (based on other information managers) that you could have 1G of space for images without impacting text look ups, new notes, etc.
Mithrandir

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:54 am

Well,

I found it quite interestingly, so I thought about how much text I could copy and paste into a note window before it crashes. My result: Around 300,000 words (~1,200,000 characters). After that, I get this message when saving or clicking:

---------------------------
Error
class boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<struct boost::exception_detail::error_info_injector<class std::runtime_error> >
The complexity of matching the regular expression exceeded predefined bounds. Try refactoring the regular expression to make each choice made by the state machine unambiguous. This exception is thrown to prevent "eternal" matches that take an indefinite period time to locate.
OK
Mark S.

Postby Mark S. » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:08 pm

Mithrandir wrote:Well,

I found it quite interestingly, so I thought about how much text I could copy and paste into a note window before it crashes. My result: Around 300,000 words (~1,200,000 characters). After that, I get this message when saving or clicking:

Error
class boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<struct boost::exception_detail::error_info_injector<class std::runtime_error> >
The complexity of matching the regular expression exceeded predefined bounds. Try refactoring the regular expression to make each choice made by the state machine unambiguous. This exception is thrown to prevent "eternal" matches that take an indefinite period time to locate.
OK

Just out of curiosity, did you have any filters running?

You know, at 1,200,00 characters you could fit the entire text of Moby Dick into a note.

Mark
Mithrandir

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:53 pm

Howdy,
Mark S. wrote:Just out of curiosity, did you have any filters running?

Nope.
Mark S. wrote:You know, at 1,200,00 characters you could fit the entire text of Moby Dick into a note.

Well, I'd like to have The Lord Of The Rings in a single note, so I guess there's still some work left. :D

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”