[Ann] CintaNotes 2.5 Beta 2

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.5 Beta 2

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:57 am

Noddy330 wrote:Also, and maybe related, when a remark is added to a note in CN, it is not shown in SimpleNote, and when the note is edited in SimpleNote the remark is then not displayed in CN.

Could the remarks field be treated in a similar way to the links field? I.e. the link: prefix.

Good catch, Nod, thanks! This was actually already implemented, but this function got knocked out by accident. Will be fixed in 2.5 final.
Alex
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:16 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:
ChrisCN wrote:DATABASE DISK IMAGE IS MALFORMED
ok - just clicked around (on some tags) and suddenly I got the message attached!?
What should I do now?
Try these suggestions here: http://www.cintanotes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=156#p7331
Thomas

Today (after the notebook was rebooted) I started CintaNotes and no error messages occured.
I downloaded sqlite shell and tried the PRAGMA integrity_check; statement (after opening the CN database with the .open command).
It says OK.

:?: Now I am confused - is there some explainable self-healing going on?

:?: My second confusion regards sqlite itself.
If I type .databases I get a list like "main" and "temp".
BUT if I type .tables I get nothing!?

Thanks for your help
Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:51 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:thank you very much for your latest release. It is great to see progress, such valuable progress, on my favorite tool! Thank you! :D

You're welcome! Huge thank to you and the others for giving the beta such a good test drive!

Thomas Lohrum wrote:This does not function for me. Nothing happens when i press Ctrl+F. :( While testing i also realized, that the feature makes sense only, when starting a new search using Ctrl+F. When starting a new search in combination with the latest "on-new-search" option, a search text filter will be implied anyway.

Indeed, I forgot about the "reset filters on ctrl+F" option which you're using. Will fix it in 2.5 final.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:The HTML looks smoother now. However using a color rather than a dividing rule between the notes text and the remark makes this a little bit too colourful. No big deal though. It looks better compared to beta 1.

Let's leave it at that for the time being then ;)

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I know it has been me starting the discussion here. However, i am afraid i got misunderstood. I like to use Ctrl+Home/End as shortcuts to jump to the notes text. The change now is a step back. :(

Sorry for misinterpreting your comments. But I think that now Ctrl+Home/End works in a very natural way and it really shouldn't cause a focus change. Maybe we need separate shortcuts for going to the begging/end of the main text.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I did some intensive tests and even compared the results from various XML-exports. Migrating what should be a remark is a good change for sure. I had some links in the form of "www." and "mailbox:///" which were moved to remarks, but should have remained in the link-field. Nevertheless, this is no problem to me. The migration step is good. It must not be perfect, as it may not be easy to do so.

In the final version it will be even more cautious: only Links which don't contain any of "/", "\", "@", "www" or "about:", will be moved to Remarks.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:In the past it could happen, that a final version was published, which should have undergone beta testing before. I like to point out, that i appreciate your procedure of providing divers betas before releasing a final version this time. :D

Thanks ;) Yes I've abandoned my reckless ways of old times ;) As you can see, there's been quite a lot of changes, and this extended testing period is fully justified IMO.
Actually my intention was to release 2.5 already this week. However in the face of the remaining problems, we'll probably do it only next week.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:54 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I took a look to my recycle bin today and noticed, there were only notes deleted within the last nine days. I am pretty sure, there should have been more. My CN setting is to delete notes permanently after 90 days. Is there anything broken with recycle bin?

Thomas

I remember you were exporting your DB and re-importing it. Recycle Bin contents doesn't get exported to the XML, maybe that's the reason?
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:56 am

ChrisCN wrote:DATABASE DISK IMAGE IS MALFORMED

ok - just clicked around (on some tags) and suddenly I got the message attached!?

What should I do now?
Thanks
Chris

Wow that's this bummer again ;(
Do you have SN sync enabled?
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:57 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:The tag sidebar does not support selection by cursor. Nor does it have a scrollbar. Both is by design. From time to time i need to scroll to the top or the end of the tag list. Would it be possible to enable this, by simply using a double click on the arrows of the tag sidebar? This does not affect the UI and would come in really handy. Especially when you have a long list of tags.
Thomas

This is very easy to do, will include in 2.5 final.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:01 am

ChrisCN wrote:Today (after the notebook was rebooted) I started CintaNotes and no error messages occured.
I downloaded sqlite shell and tried the PRAGMA integrity_check; statement (after opening the CN database with the .open command).
It says OK.

That's very strange indeed. However there indeed exists code that does some auto-fixing of broken DB indices (executes SQLITE REINDEX command). Probably this is what has happened. Of course, a debug log would be invaluable here.. could please take a look if there was some log.N.txt file created? I should have been.

ChrisCN wrote::?: My second confusion regards sqlite itself.

Hm, I get the list of tables quite alright. How did you load the db?
Alex
ChrisCN

Postby ChrisCN » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:27 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Do you have SN sync enabled?
>> Yes, for one section.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
ChrisCN wrote:Today (after the notebook was rebooted) I started CintaNotes and no error messages occured.
It says OK.

That's very strange indeed. However there indeed exists code that does some auto-fixing of broken DB indices (executes SQLITE REINDEX command). Probably this is what has happened. Of course, a debug log would be invaluable here.. could please take a look if there was some log.N.txt file created? I should have been.
>> There is a log file, but it is completely empty :(

ChrisCN wrote::?: My second confusion regards sqlite itself.

Hm, I get the list of tables quite alright. How did you load the db?
>> I use sqlite for the first time - so maybe I am doing something wrong.
Step 1: start sqlite3.exe
Step 2: .open d:\path_to_cintanotes_db\cintanotes.db
Step 3: .tables

thanks
Chris
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:51 pm

gunars wrote:7) I'd still like some better visual distinction between selected and unselected notes.
I'm afraid this is also have to wait till 2.6. But you can try to pick a darker color for your section, this will make selected notes more standing out.

Alex, this is really a pain. I wish we could have this in 2.5. :D How about one of the following two suggestions? Either (a) show the title of the selected note in italic/bold or (b) show the complete preview item using the title's colour.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:00 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I know it has been me starting the discussion here. However, i am afraid i got misunderstood. I like to use Ctrl+Home/End as shortcuts to jump to the notes text. The change now is a step back. :(
Sorry for misinterpreting your comments. But I think that now Ctrl+Home/End works in a very natural way and it really shouldn't cause a focus change. Maybe we need separate shortcuts for going to the begging/end of the main text.

I have checked for Alt+Home/End. It is not used yet. The help file also does not mention it. As Ctrl+Home/End will be used for Remarks, may i ask you to add Alt+Home/End as unique shortcuts for 2.5 final? The shortcuts should be valid to the entire edit dialog and should jump to the beginning/end of the notes text.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:01 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I took a look to my recycle bin today and noticed, there were only notes deleted within the last nine days. I am pretty sure, there should have been more. My CN setting is to delete notes permanently after 90 days. Is there anything broken with recycle bin?
I remember you were exporting your DB and re-importing it. Recycle Bin contents doesn't get exported to the XML, maybe that's the reason?

Yes, you are correct. Thanks. Issue cleared.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:14 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:As you can see, there's been quite a lot of changes, and this extended testing period is fully justified IMO. Actually my intention was to release 2.5 already this week. However in the face of the remaining problems, we'll probably do it only next week.

You're always welcome to provide a Release Candidate before going public eventually.

Thomas
gunars

Postby gunars » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:38 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:What is a Clips section? Why it should be there?
I thought the default empty cintanotes.db was created with two sections, Main and Clips (designated as the target for clipping). I must have created the Clips section myself as an inbox.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Do you know Japanese? There are actually many translations missing, you can see the full list here: http://www.transifex.net/projects/p/cin ... e/strings/
Sorry, I don't. Just enough to navigate around Japanese or other CJK versions of Windows or some apps, mostly by reading the English accelerator letters after the translations. Yes, I see that 50% of the Jpn translations are not there yet.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:This is a side-effect of how the settings system of CN works. A new setting only gets created on its first use. Since it didn't appear in the settings file, this means you didn't start a new search via typing something.
Yes, I have it now.

gunars wrote:9) When entering these accented characters in the search, I haven't yet figured out what it's doing. Sometimes it seems to properly handle the character and sometimes not (even when it's not one of those used in the UI, such as Ctrl-Alt-e). For example, with SIW turned on, I have 34 notes. Most (31) have the letter 'e' in them. One note has the letter 'e', but also has the accented 'ē'. If I type 'e' in the search box, I get my filtered list of 31 notes with the letter 'e' highlighted. In the note with the accented chars, it properly highlights the 'e' and not the 'ē'. However, if the search is just for 'ē', the 'ē' is properly highlighted instead of the 'e' in the one test note, but 30 other notes with plain 'e' are also selected (although nothing is highlighted).
We'll need to investigate this in more detail. Could you give a sample notebook where this effect can easily be reproduced? This would greatly help.
I'll try to come up with a reproducible example.

gunars wrote:10) A number of times, if the accented char is the first one to go in the search string, nothing happens (it's not echoed to the search line). If I hit a plain letter and then erase it, then the accented char works ok.
How do you type the accented char? Do you have to press any modifier keys like Alt, Shift or Ctrl to do that?
These are RightAlt-letter or Ctrl+Alt-letter keys. There might be something trapping the Ctrl or Alt keypress.
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:51 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I have checked for Alt+Home/End. It is not used yet. The help file also does not mention it. As Ctrl+Home/End will be used for Remarks, may i ask you to add Alt+Home/End as unique shortcuts for 2.5 final? The shortcuts should be valid to the entire edit dialog and should jump to the beginning/end of the notes text.

Having unique shortcuts to focus any field of the edit-dialog is essential to me. It is what makes the edit dialog efficient. Ctrl+Up (Title), Ctrl+Down (Tags), Ctrl+Home (begin of text), Ctrl+End (end of text), Alt+L (Link), Alt+R (Remarks), Shift+F6 (Section-selection), Alt+C (Cancel) and ESC (exit and save). I use them all the time.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:07 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:The tag sidebar does not support selection by cursor. Nor does it have a scrollbar. Both is by design. From time to time i need to scroll to the top or the end of the tag list. Would it be possible to enable this, by simply using a double click on the arrows of the tag sidebar? This does not affect the UI and would come in really handy. Especially when you have a long list of tags.
This is very easy to do, will include in 2.5 final.

Alex, thank you very much for including this. I have just realized i had already posted a request http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/260225-tag-sidebar-move-to-topbottom. This is for your information, so the item can be marked as started/completed. Thanks again.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:29 pm

gunars wrote:Small issue - In Export Notes, it would be nice if there were a default filename there (exported.txt?).
Ok, I guess it would be even better to build the name using notebook name and current date. Added as a todo.

Please also check for my request here: http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/115972-default-filename-for-exporting-notes/

Thomas
gunars

Postby gunars » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:27 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Please also check for my request here: http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/115972-default-filename-for-exporting-notes/
Yes, sorry, I keep forgetting to check the roadmap. I did add a vote though. :D
gunars

Postby gunars » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:48 am

Alex, I just sent you a PM with some info about two bugs with accented characters. I tried attaching a sample db, but the board rejected all extensions I tried. I finally emailed it to support@cintanotes.com, hoping that this email exists. If not, please let me know how best to send you a sample db.

Thanks
Gunars
gunars

Postby gunars » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:34 am

Hi Alex,

I dug around a bit more after sending you the PM and test db.

gunars wrote:9) When entering these accented characters in the search, I haven't yet figured out what it's doing. Sometimes it seems to properly handle the character and sometimes not (even when it's not one of those used in the UI, such as Ctrl-Alt-e). For example, with SIW turned on, I have 34 notes. Most (31) have the letter 'e' in them. One note has the letter 'e', but also has the accented 'ē'. If I type 'e' in the search box, I get my filtered list of 31 notes with the letter 'e' highlighted. In the note with the accented chars, it properly highlights the 'e' and not the 'ē'. However, if the search is just for 'ē', the 'ē' is properly highlighted instead of the 'e' in the one test note, but 30 other notes with plain 'e' are also selected (although nothing is highlighted).

If the search is restricted to title/text, it works ok and accented and unaccented letters are properly distinguished. The problem is when the search includes the Link field. In that case, the accented char (ē) also matches unaccented versions (e) in the link. If I drop the 'e' in the link, it works ok. The Remark field seems to be working ok.

gunars wrote:10) A number of times, if the accented char is the first one to go in the search string, nothing happens (it's not echoed to the search line). If I hit a plain letter and then erase it, then the accented char works ok.

I finally pinned this down. If focus is not in the search box, typing a regular letter moves focus to the search box and enters the letter there. This doesn't happen for accented letters (RightAlt+letter). Focus never changes and the character is ignored. Moving the focus to the search box before typing by clicking in the search box, typing a regular letter or starting with Ctrl-F lets the accented character go in the search string correctly

Gunars
Last edited by gunars on Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gunars

Postby gunars » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:51 am

I find that sometimes I miss that a filter is in effect and I'm seeing only a subset of notes.

One idea for an indicator - the line with the search box shows the count ('nn notes') of notes currently displayed on the right end. If you move it over to the left of the search box, it would be right next to the total count for All where you could easily compare it to see if a filtered set of notes was being displayed. The 'nn notes' could even be highlighted (same pale highlight color used for text) if it was a subset.

Gunars

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”