[Ann] CintaNotes 2.5 Release!

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

[Ann] CintaNotes 2.5 Release!

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:08 am

It's Christmas and a new CintaNotes version is here!
Many thanks to all those who helped in testing the beta versions and helped
us prepare this release!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Dec 25, 2013 - Version 2.5

In this version:

Features:
  • "Remarks" field
    Notes now have a new field "Remarks", intended to collect additional data on what is written in the main note body (which quite often is clipped from somewhere). The Remarks field adjusts its height automatically to accomodate multiline remarks, however you also can increase its height with your mouse via moving the lower edge of the main text area.
  • A new search mode has appeared: "Any Text Field", which includes Title, Text, Tags and Remarks.
  • Note export: ability to choose which fields should be exported.

Enhancements:
  • XML import now supports UTF-8 XML files.
  • Upgraded internal DB engine to SQLite 3.8.1.
  • Notes list: Clickable link icons in note preview.
  • Notes list: Improved display of long hierarchical tags
    Now only the last part of the tag name is displayed by default, the full name is displayed in a tooltip when you hover the mouse over the tag.
  • Tag deletion: provide option to also delete notes with selected tags.
  • New option in internet connection setting: "Use system proxy settings"
  • Added option to clear filters on starting new search: "filters.reset.onnewsearch.enabled".
  • Option to turn off many confirmation messages, implemented as "Don't ask again" checkboxes.
  • Added shortcuts to "File" menu commands: New (Ctrl+E), Open (Ctrl+O), Save As (Ctrl+S), Close (Ctrl+W).
  • Notes list: always scroll to the top of the list on new search.
  • Tag sidebar: scroll to top/bottom of the tag list on arrow double-click.
  • Editor: Alt+Home/End to always navigate to note text's start/end.

Fixes:
  • Crash on linking notes.
  • Crash on trying to edit a certain note.
  • Intranet URLs were not recognized.
  • Program failed to respond to rapid mousewheel events.
  • Simplenote sync: constant "not completed, try later" when moving remote note to recycle bin.
  • Simplenote sync: deleted synced section appeared again after sync.
  • Simplenote sync: synchronization could constantly fail.
  • Sorting order could be lost for main section.
  • Text and paragraph formats could get corrupted on merging notes.
  • Unable to import XML with more than 3 sections even when "Import sections" was unchecked.
  • Note previews: URL highlight positions could be wrong because of leading whitespace.
  • Change shortcuts that use Ctrl+Alt to using other modifiers to avoid collisions with some national keyboard layouts.
  • Notes list: couldn't start search from capital letters or accented characters when search box was not focused.

Download:
Installable: CintaNotes_2_5_Setup.exe
Portable: CintaNotes_2_5.zip
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.5 Release!

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:32 pm

Really minor issue:

With the german translation the labels and edit controls for tags and remarks ("Schlagwörter" and "Bemerkungen") are misaligned.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:55 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Really minor issue:

With the german translation the labels and edit controls for tags and remarks ("Schlagwörter" and "Bemerkungen") are misaligned.

Hi Thomas, thanks for the report!
Actually they are aligned.
But: they are right-aligned. Since they are nearly same length, one can see it as a wrong left-alignment.

We are going to replace these labels with tooltipped icons anyway, so this will be a non-issue;)
Alex
gunars

Postby gunars » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:02 am

No, Thomas is right. The space allocated for 'Remarks' is slightly too small to accommodate 'Bermerkungen'. If you look closely, the edit control for Bemerkungen is shifted to the right by a few pixels. This is a problem that happens sometimes with labels in dialog boxes, particularly with German which tends to have long words.

Gunars
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:06 am

gunars wrote:No, Thomas is right. The space allocated for 'Remarks' is slightly too small to accommodate 'Bermerkungen'. If you look closely, the edit control for Bemerkungen is shifted to the right by a few pixels. This is a problem that happens sometimes with labels in dialog boxes, particularly with German which tends to have long words.

Gunars

Yep, now I see what you mean. Thanks to both of you.
Still I think the issue it not worth fixing because soon the labels will be replaced with icons anyway.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:15 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Yep, now I see what you mean. Thanks to both of you. Still I think the issue it not worth fixing because soon the labels will be replaced with icons anyway.

Depends on what "soon" means. ;) It is not a big deal. It just doesn't look right (not harmonically).

Thomas

PS: Did you say "icons"? Last time you wrote about "tooltip" controls.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:38 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Depends on what "soon" means. ;) It is not a big deal. It just doesn't look right (not harmonically).

Most probably in 2.6 which is scheduled for end of Feb. Maybe even in 2.5.1, it I have time.

Did you say "icons"? Last time you wrote about "tooltip" controls.

Tooltipped icons ;)
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:12 pm

Hi,

Would it be possible to move the Links field under the Tags field? So, the fields would be:
Tags
Link
Remarks

Rather than this, as they are currently:
Tags Link
Remarks

The reason why is that I would like Links to be a full length field again, like it was before Remarks was added. When I paste a URL into the field, I want to be able to see the entire URL. I was able to do that before the Remarks field was added, I am unable to do it now.

Thanks.
gunars

Postby gunars » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:48 pm

usbpoweredfridge wrote:When I paste a URL into the field, I want to be able to see the entire URL. I was able to do that before the Remarks field was added, I am unable to do it now.
That was my initial reaction also, but I've gotten used to the fact that if you hover over the link field, it pops up the full URL.
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:48 am

gunars wrote:That was my initial reaction also, but I've gotten used to the fact that if you hover over the link field, it pops up the full URL.

Yes, I was aware of that - but I want to see the URL before I confirm the note (by clicking Ok when I create it). I used to be able to do that, but unless I now click in the URL field and use the arrow keys (which is a pain to do every single time I create a note), I can't post v2.5
gunars

Postby gunars » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:14 am

I just created a new note by clipping. I was able to hover over the link field and get a popup of the full url before committing the new note with an OK. I do understand what you're saying though.
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:20 am

I create notes by Edit-->New Note - there is no pop-up here. Even if there was, because it is extra mouse movement to have to mouse over the field, I'd still like the field returned to how it was before.
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:54 pm

Personally i link the current design, because it uses little space. Still the link is visible (as a hint). Also Alt+L can be used as a shortcut.

Thomas

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”