Pre entered data

kranor
Moderator
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:10 pm
Contact:

Pre entered data

Postby kranor » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:52 pm

This one is going to take some time to get together but it could be a direction for an offshoot of CintaNotes and a major selling point for the commercial version. This idea was triggered in my brain by ale's goodie tip about using Cinta as an address book.

Imagine this:

Go onto Cintanotes website and download an xml file and import the contents of this file to a tab in your cintanotes. Yep all stuff on the road map.

BUT THE CONTENT OF THE FILE IS THE IMPORTANT BIT!!!

I can see user generated databases of conversion tables, engineering type information like tap, reamer and drill sizes, historical facts and hundreds of bits of info like that. In fact if you need some ideas pop along to http://www.memoware.com they have hundreds of databases for apps like isilo and mobileDB.

If the tab feature is implemented in the commercial version then you have a reason for buying it, to get at all these tabs full of data.

I'm not going to put a poll on this at the moment, just open it up for debate.

And now I am off to create a clearance drill notebook for myself!! (just to see if it works!!) if it does work I will edit this post with some screen shots.

Edit:

If anyone wants to try it give this a go:

Copy the following code and paste it into a text document. Then save it as test.xml

Code: Select all

 
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
- <notebook>
- <note title="10/32" date="2009-06-02" time="18:00:00" source="Fractional Machine Screws Tapping and clearance drills table" link="http://www.csgnetwork.com" tags="10/32">
- <![CDATA[
Bolt Size                  = 10/32
Major diameter       = 0.1900
Aluminium Tap drill  = 21
Steel Tap drill          = 18
Close Fit                 = 9
Free Fit                   = 7

  ]]>
  </note>
- <note title="8/32" date="2009-06-02" time="18:00:00" source="Fractional Machine Screws Tapping and clearance drills table" link="http://www.csgnetwork.com" tags="8/32">
- <![CDATA[
Bolt Size                  = 8/32
Major diameter       = 0.1640
Aluminium Tap drill  = 29
Steel Tap drill          = 27
Close Fit                 = 18
Free Fit                   = 16

  ]]>
  </note>
- <note title="1/4" date="2009-06-02" time="18:00:00" source="Fractional Machine Screws Tapping and clearance drills table" link="http://www.csgnetwork.com" tags="1/4">
- <![CDATA[
Bolt Size                  = 10/32
Major diameter       = 0.2500
Aluminium Tap drill  = 7
Steel Tap drill          = 7/32
Close Fit                 = F
Free Fit                   = H

  ]]>
  </note>
- <note title="5/16" date="2009-06-02" time="18:00:00" source="Fractional Machine Screws Tapping and clearance drills table" link="http://www.csgnetwork.com" tags="5/16">
- <![CDATA[
Bolt Size                  = 5/16
Major diameter       = 0.3125
Aluminium Tap drill  = F
Steel Tap drill          = J
Close Fit                 = P
Free Fit                   = Q

  ]]>
  </note>
  </notebook>


Next Import this into cintanotes. You should end up with 4 notes giving you drill sizes for different bolts and materials.

Maybe this needs a new tag [Data] perhaps?? :D
No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Noddy330
Posts: 354
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Pre entered data

Postby Noddy330 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:04 pm

Good idea. As you say - lots of other products do it. Lets try it out on the Tips & Tricks. Nod
Midas
Moderator
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:40 am
Contact:

Re: Pre entered data

Postby Midas » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:04 am

I like this. I just wish there would be a simpler and more intuitive way to do it -- xml code is known to be finicky...
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
Midas
Moderator
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:40 am
Contact:

Re: Pre entered data

Postby Midas » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:56 am

Another overlooked candidate for the tips thread?
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
kranor
Moderator
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Pre entered data

Postby kranor » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:11 pm

Currently working on 26 notes of pre entered data covering every IATA Coded Airport/Airfield (30000 of em)
No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
ale
Moderator
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Pre entered data

Postby ale » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:47 am

I couldn't import kranor's XML code, it took me forever to find the problem :)
this one should be fine for CN

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<notebook>
<note title="10/32" date="2009-06-02" time="18:00:00" source="Fractional Machine Screws Tapping and clearance drills table" link="http://www.csgnetwork.com" tags="10/32">
<![CDATA[
Bolt Size                  = 10/32
Major diameter       = 0.1900
Aluminium Tap drill  = 21
Steel Tap drill          = 18
Close Fit                 = 9
Free Fit                   = 7

]]>
</note>
<note title="8/32" date="2009-06-02" time="18:00:00" source="Fractional Machine Screws Tapping and clearance drills table" link="http://www.csgnetwork.com" tags="8/32">
<![CDATA[
Bolt Size                  = 8/32
Major diameter       = 0.1640
Aluminium Tap drill  = 29
Steel Tap drill          = 27
Close Fit                 = 18
Free Fit                   = 16

]]>
</note>
<note title="1/4" date="2009-06-02" time="18:00:00" source="Fractional Machine Screws Tapping and clearance drills table" link="http://www.csgnetwork.com" tags="1/4">
<![CDATA[
Bolt Size                  = 10/32
Major diameter       = 0.2500
Aluminium Tap drill  = 7
Steel Tap drill          = 7/32
Close Fit                 = F
Free Fit                   = H

]]>
</note>
<note title="5/16" date="2009-06-02" time="18:00:00" source="Fractional Machine Screws Tapping and clearance drills table" link="http://www.csgnetwork.com" tags="5/16">
<![CDATA[
Bolt Size                  = 5/16
Major diameter       = 0.3125
Aluminium Tap drill  = F
Steel Tap drill          = J
Close Fit                 = P
Free Fit                   = Q

]]>
</note>
</notebook>
kranor
Moderator
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Pre entered data

Postby kranor » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:51 am

What was the problem ale? Just asking cos I am Making up a file with around 10000 lines of code so I don't want to cock it up do I !!! :D
No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
ale
Moderator
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Pre entered data

Postby ale » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:11 pm

kranor wrote:What was the problem ale? Just asking cos I am Making up a file with around 10000 lines of code so I don't want to cock it up do I !!! :D

First problem was with all the minus signs "-" but after removing them all I still had problems, so next thing is remove all spaces at the beginning of each line, I don't know if it's a bug in CN, but I reported it viewtopic.php?f=6&t=204. Finally it needs to be saved as Unicode UTF-16 (Notepad calls this "Unicode"), because if for example we use UTF-8 an error appear "The program has encountered an error during import" but I also asked a final clarification about this to Alex. I'm late I have to go now :D
kranor
Moderator
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Pre entered data

Postby kranor » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:19 pm

Just had a look at my original XML on my PC, the minus signs were not there but as you pointed out they were there in the posted code :?: :?: the only thing that I can see is that maybe they were adding during the post process :?: I am going to repost my original code and see if it does it again.
No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
kranor
Moderator
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Pre entered data

Postby kranor » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:22 pm

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<notebook>
<note title="test" date="2009-06-17" time="13:20:11" source="" link="" tags="">
  <![CDATA[laiwbrevuib
alijwbre;juoa
a;iojebr
ao;ijwebrg
aoljewrnh]]>
</note>
</notebook>


Nope it hasn't done it this time :?: :?: :?: :?: God knows what that was
No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
kranor
Moderator
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Pre entered data

Postby kranor » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:30 pm

Just found the Problem :D :D
I use Notepad++ as my XML editor
It places each section of code into a tree view and when you cut and past, it picks up the subtree symbols and pastes them as minus signs.

Moral of this story is....Dont cut and paste from notepad++ :D

see Image below
example.png
example.png (8.55 KiB) Viewed 7813 times
No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Midas
Moderator
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:40 am
Contact:

Re: Pre entered data

Postby Midas » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:41 am

Midas wrote:[...]
xml code is known to be finicky...

Ditto!
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
ale
Moderator
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Pre entered data

Postby ale » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:44 pm

Midas wrote:
Midas wrote:[...]
xml code is known to be finicky...

Ditto!

I like this "finicky" word but I will need to look for it on the dictionary :D

Being serious I like a lot the fact that CN can export and import everything with XML. I like that because XML is human readable and we know we never "lose" our data. I'm scared from applications that use a binary undocumented format because you never know if tomorrow or if one day something goes really wrong you still will be able to access your data and move it to another place
Noddy330
Posts: 354
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Pre entered data

Postby Noddy330 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:20 am

Being serious I like a lot the fact that CN can export and import everything with XML. I like that because XML is human readable and we know we never "lose" our data. I'm scared from applications that use a binary undocumented format because you never know if tomorrow or if one day something goes really wrong you still will be able to access your data and move it to another place

Totally agree - that's one of my primary considerations. Including how easy it is to import / export to something else. Nod
Noddy330
Posts: 354
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Pre entered data

Postby Noddy330 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:52 am

Should I be able to open Cintanote's notebook.dat in Microsoft's XML Notepad?
I can't - I get an error - "... hex 0x16, is an invalid char, line 1, position 1"
Nod
Midas
Moderator
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:40 am
Contact:

Re: Pre entered data

Postby Midas » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:27 pm

ale wrote:
Midas wrote:[...]
xml code is known to be finicky...

I like this "finicky" word but I will need to look for it on the dictionary :D
[...]

No need to:

fin-ick-y -- excessively particular or fastidious; difficult to please; fussy. (Also, finnicky, fin-i-king). Synonyms: exacting, demanding, meticulous; choosy, picky.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=finicky
:D Midas, your friendly nugget gobbler, with a message from our sponsors:

Ask questions the smart way -- see www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/
toddclausen
Moderator
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Pre entered data

Postby toddclausen » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:42 pm

Noddy330 wrote:Should I be able to open Cintanote's notebook.dat in Microsoft's XML Notepad?
I can't - I get an error - "... hex 0x16, is an invalid char, line 1, position 1"
Nod

I don't think the notebook.dat should be able to be opened in an XML editor - it's not XML. I can open it just fine with a Hex editor. The CintaNotes magic is that Alex has implemented an XML parser to import/export to and from the notebook. That way we get the benefit of speed and efficiency of a "proprietary" data format but our data is not stuck in it! Using XML as the storage mechanism would be very slow and inefficient!
-Todd
Noddy330
Posts: 354
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Pre entered data

Postby Noddy330 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:54 pm

toddclausen wrote:
Noddy330 wrote:Should I be able to open Cintanote's notebook.dat in Microsoft's XML Notepad?
I can't - I get an error - "... hex 0x16, is an invalid char, line 1, position 1"
Nod

I don't think the notebook.dat should be able to be opened in an XML editor - it's not XML. I can open it just fine with a Hex editor. The CintaNotes magic is that Alex has implemented an XML parser to import/export to and from the notebook. That way we get the benefit of speed and efficiency of a "proprietary" data format but our data is not stuck in it! Using XML as the storage mechanism would be very slow and inefficient!


Ahh. I see. Thanks. Nod
kranor
Moderator
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Pre entered data

Postby kranor » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:08 pm

Almost there LOL, Could someone check my XML as when I try to import the 26 Notes, for some reason it only imports 23. It combines H and I and also combines K, L and M. I have probably done something wrong but I can't spot it.....
Attachments
Iata codes.zip
(169.24 KiB) Downloaded 2436 times
No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Bommi
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Pre entered data

Postby Bommi » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:33 am

Hi kranor.

The same with me. 23 notes and notes with these letter-tags merged.

Your idea of Tabs in CintaNotes is interesting, but I prefer a quick change of databases via Systray icon, because memory-usage will be an issue with more than one database loaded.

So, when I close my eyes, I can see a menu after a right-click on CintaNotes tray-icon showing the option 'Change Database' and on mouseover a submenu with a list of the databases in the database-directory. If someone wants to have the downloaded set of informations always available, she ;) can import this database into her default (notebook.dat) database.

But the idea of sharing collections of information is great. Let's say, someone (student, trainee or whoever) is working on a specific subject. After the recherche is done, he (or she) may whish to share the findings. Exporting is easy when a tag was applied.

Because of its ease of use CintaNotes has the potential becoming a standard in exchanging collections of information.

Greetz, Bommi
"Everything that can be invented, has been invented."
- Charles H. Duell, US Commissioner of Patents, in 1899 -
- on reporters question, what kind of inventions he is expecting for the future

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”