Raise of the license price

danielson

Re: Raise of the license price

Postby danielson » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:34 pm

How's business going since price increase?

Adding images as attachment is fine but i like Evernote with graphics pre-viewed.
I'm a visual guy, what can i say.
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:21 am

Can't answer the question, but related, if you are ever on the roadmap, please give this one a vote, it is the inline images feature request (I believe what you mean by 'graphics pre-viewed'):
http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/185 ... ide-notes/

Chris
danielson

Postby danielson » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:25 am

usbpoweredfridge wrote:Can't answer the question, but related, if you are ever on the roadmap, please give this one a vote, it is the inline images feature request (I believe what you mean by 'graphics pre-viewed'):
http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/185 ... ide-notes/

Chris

I'm in!

Surprised it hasn't become more popular a request yet.
Perhaps its because people don't read the subtitle.
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:22 am

danielson wrote:Perhaps its because people don't read the subtitle.

Yeah, I have to agree - the title by itself isn't really enough to tell you exactly what it is, unless you also read the rest of the entry (which I think most people would not bother with).

Now that we have attachments - in Beta form anyway - the thing I most want to see in CN is this one - we just need more votes to make it happen!

Chris
danielson

Postby danielson » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:24 pm

Perhaps a new thread should be started?

"Clip text + image with preview" ?

BTW, this will prove extremely difficult, especially if syncing with Simplenote.

p.s. just upgraded to lifetime license.
My b'day gift to Alex and cie. ;)
Canadian dollars better than American?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:39 pm

Hi Daniel,

danielson wrote:How's business going since price increase?

It's going not too great, but at least allows to pay the bills and continue working on CN.
I'm sure that if we didn't raise the price we'd have to discontinue the project.
But now it is borderline profitable, we just need to make correct judgement calls on
which new features will make CN more popular :)

danielson wrote:Adding images as attachment is fine but i like Evernote with graphics pre-viewed.
I'm a visual guy, what can i say.

In the upcoming versions we'll definitely display image thumbnails.
Regarding inserting images direcltly into note text - unless we migrate from richedit to something
else, I doubt we'll be undertaking this.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:42 pm

danielson wrote:Perhaps a new thread should be started?

"Clip text + image with preview" ?

BTW, this will prove extremely difficult, especially if syncing with Simplenote.

Exactly, Simplenote is already feeling like a dead weight, not supporting sections and files.

p.s. just upgraded to lifetime license.
My b'day gift to Alex and cie. ;)
Canadian dollars better than American?

Wow, thanks a lot! :) Happy b'day (belatedly)!
BTW it's funny but I indeed had birthday not long ago - end of August, so your gift is spot on ;)
Alex
danielson

Postby danielson » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:51 pm

Glad to be hearing some cheering words from the "pen" of the dev!
Not very good at poetry.

Although i did not partake to that latest poll, do agree with previous post that CN be kept lightweight and fast.
Tough contenders like Onenote and Evernote must keep that in mind 'cause if they become bloatware, people will look elsewhere.
What i can't figure out is, how come Ubernote which had no financial issues went down the gutter?
For one, i thought their price tag was a bit too steep.
The fact they were quiet (lack of initiatives and posts on their blog) didn't help.

Anyway, it's a tight market and race for sure!
danielson

Postby danielson » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:23 pm

Hope i'm not off-track too much here.

One thing to consider would be to let people send in a voluntary contribution for the feature(s) they really hope to see in CN.
It's one thing to say, "hey, i would really like this or that feature" but to fork out a few more dimes for it(them) would really be a more encouraging way to express this no?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:41 pm

Daniel, sorry for the long delay.

This is an insteresting idea, however there are some issues here:

1) I'm not sure that it would be fair to take money both for licenses and for prioritizing certain features. People who are prolonging their update
subscriptions are already paying for the new features.
2) It would make further CN development depend on wishes of people with fat wallets. Imagine - one $1000 contribution and we're working on synchronizing
with SugarCRM etc.. :) It would probably be ok to do it as a custom build, but it will be still time taken away from developing more useful features which have
the potential to increase sales.
3) Are there any examples of this scheme being successfully used in the industry?
Alex
gunars

Postby gunars » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:32 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:3) Are there any examples of this scheme being successfully used in the industry?

I don't know about industry, but many political systems work this way. ;)
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:11 am

gunars wrote:I don't know about industry, but many political systems work this way. ;)

Gunars, hi, glad to see you here :)
Yes I guess in politics this works, but I wouldn't bet it'll work with software ;)
I guess this could potentially work with a hugely popular freeware. CintaNotes is neither freeware,
nor hugely popular (yet) ;)
Alex
date

Postby date » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:03 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:3) Are there any examples of this scheme being successfully used in the industry?

There's something somewhat alike used for Lazarus' development: http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Bounties, for example.
Mithrandir

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:33 pm

Yes. It's called "commissional work". Here is how it might work out:

Imagine a client approaches you and deliberately needs the "Image inline" feature. Let's say you need ~20 hours to get that implemented. If you take, let's say, 100 €/h (valid rates in Germany), this would make 2000 € for the customer.

However, you don't want to implement stuff twice, so you offer the customer a discount (maybe 25%, maybe more or less), and he must allow the usage of this feature in the regular retail version. That's a win-win situation. Of course, I admit it's not that easy to make such deals.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:58 am

date, Mithrandir, thanks for the info.
This is quite interesting.
But frankly I thought that it would be a bit more advanced - allowing users to combine
funds for implementing a particular feature.

With a single investor this works (and actually we did this once, implementing trackable
file links). But for this, you don't really need a special site. People just write to you and offer
money in exchange for custom functionality.

We'd be willing to do custom development for a rate of $40/hour if the function is not to
be included into common CN, and $10/hour if we think that the feature will benefit all
CN users and would want to include it into the application.

Would anyone be interested - that's another question.
If we had a stable and predictable paid workload, we could certainly reduce the license
price quite a bit. But I doubt that it is possible.
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”