Full tag hierarchy in note?

RSchiaffino

Full tag hierarchy in note?

Postby RSchiaffino » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:41 pm

Is there any way to display the full tag hierarchy in a note?

What I mean is

If I have tags organized like this (for example)

Project_1
Translation
Questions_about_meaning
Asked

and

Project_1
Translation
Questions_about_formatting
Asked

Project_2
Admin_Questions
Asked

In the tag sidebar I see the correct hierarchy, but in the notes I only see "Asked", instead of "Project_1/Translation/Questions_about_meaning/Asked", "Project_1/Translation/Questions_about_formatting/Asked" or "Project_2/Admin_Questions/Asked"; i.e., I see in the note that I have tagged something as a already asked, but can't see the full context.

I seem to remember that tags were formerly displayed with the full context... is there a way to display that in the current version?
RSchiaffino

Re: Full tag hierarchy in note?

Postby RSchiaffino » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:43 pm

...and I had not realized that this forum would not display indents

Project_1
Translation
Questions_about_meaning
Asked

Is to be interpreted as a hierarchy = Project_1/Translation/Questions_about_meaning/Asked
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:56 am

Hi Riccardo,

indeed lately we've improved the display of long hierarchic tags.
However it was intended that if some of the tags of a given note "conflict" (=produce same shortened name), then the full tag names should be displayed of all conflicting tags.

This however doesn't seem to work now. So I'd consider this a bug and will schedule it to be fixed in the next version.
Would this solution fit the bill for you?
Alex
RSchiaffino

Postby RSchiaffino » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:23 pm

Hi Alex,

When is the new version going to be released? I'm asking because this is a feature I use a lot (I use the same sort of structure for all my translation notes), so this function is very important for me.

"However it was intended that if some of the tags of a given note "conflict" (=produce same shortened name), then the full tag names should be displayed of all conflicting tags."

I think we are talking a bit at cross purposes: it's not tag conflict on the same note that is the problem for me (though it would be a problem, if in certain notes I had to have similar tags): it's the sameness of the tags displayed in different notes.

Note 1: Project_1/Translation/Questions_about_meaning/Asked

Note 2: Project_1/Translation/Questions_about_formatting/Asked

Note 3: Project_2/Admin_Questions/Asked

Would all be displayed with only tag "Asked" visible

If you are to fix this in next version, I would suggest that, in addition to making sure there are no conflicts within the same note, also that the full display of the whole tag hierarchy in each note be selectable as a setting (probably as Options>Tags>Always display tag hierarchy on note)
RSchiaffino

Postby RSchiaffino » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:30 pm

"indeed lately we've improved the display of long hierarchic tags. "

...and frankly I wouldn't call this an "improvement" (I would call it a misfeature, instead): fine if it is a selectable option - I suppose shorter tags displays may be useful for some users (one of the many good things about CN is that it can be used in such flexible ways) - for me they are a source of dangerous confusion.

Until you fix this I suppose I'll have to include within the text of the note the tag hierarchy... which will be a cumbersome annoyance.

Hope you can fix this soon.

But thank you for all you hard work on this useful tool!
Last edited by RSchiaffino on Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RSchiaffino

Postby RSchiaffino » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:03 pm

...sorry for the multiple posts.

Could you tell me which is the last version that displayed the full tag hierarchy? I think that until you enable the (optional) display of the full tag hierarchy, the best option for me would be to downgrade to an older version (also can you tell me where to download the older version - and whether installing it would interfere with my existing database and recently renewed license)?

Thank you!

Riccardo
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:25 pm

Riccardo,
thanks a lot for the clarifications! I think that now I can understand the problem much better.
Indeed this can be considered a dubious improvement - however I wouldn't have implemented it without being asked many times to do it.

Of course conflicts in different notes should be addressed like conflict in the same note, so that the tag name that CN displays is always unambiguous. Also I'm thinking about introducing a special checkbox in tag's properties, something like "always display this tag in children tags' names"

One more thing:
Maybe I'm wrong here, but I think it's strange that you have the same tag "Asked" multiple times in different hierarchies.
"Asked" is about the item's status, not about it's topic, right? So maybe it would be more appropriate to separate concerns: statuses to status, subjects to subjects, projects to projects:
Status/Asked
Status/Answered
Subject/Translation/Questions_about_meaning
Subject/Translation/Questions_about_formatting
Project/Project1
Project/Project2

After that a typical note will have the following tags displayed in the list: "Asked Project1 Questions_about_meaning". Much clearer already, isn't it? And not much worse than "Project1/Translation/Questions_about_meaning/Asked". You will cut down total number of tags you are using, this means you'll find needed tags faster.

Now to select notes like before you can use the tag intersection feature - with Ctrl+clicking, or just writing all tags together in the search box and pressing Enter:
Say you want to see all notes of Project2 with status Asked: You type "p", accept autocomplete suggestion "Project/Project2", type "a", accept "Status/Asked", press Enter. As you can see it'll require very little typing.

However all the above is, of course, just a suggestion. I'll understand if you say that your current structure is more convenient to you.

Now to your questions about downgrading:
- The last version that displayed full tag names was 2.4
- You can download it from http://cintanotes.com/files/old
- It's better to install it into a different location, since your notebook will be unreadable by the old version
- To downgrade your notebook, export it to XML in the latest version and import it into a new notebook in v2.4
- Both new and old license keys will work with v2.4

Hope this helps!
Alex
RSchiaffino

Postby RSchiaffino » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:50 pm

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your suggestion... but this is exactly what I mean that different people use CN in different ways (so I understand how the shorter tag display can work perfectly for others).

I use CN mainly to take notes while I translate: I select a piece of text, Ctrl+F12 to create a note, add any additional information I need, and add tags to classify the note, normally (in fact, always) with just one tag hierarchy per note.

Then I use the tag hierarchy to keep track of the note within my project

The hierarchy for each project is always very similar:

1) Project name
1.1) Errors in source text
1.1.1) To communicate
1.1.2) Communicated
1.2) Questions about source text
1.2.1) To ask
1.2.2) Asked
1.2.3) Answer received
1.3) Changes
1.3.1) Changes to implement
1.3.3) Changes implemented

So a note could be tagged ProjectXYZ/Errors in source/To communicate, and then, after I sent the note to my customer, this goes to ProjectXYZ/Errors in source/Communicated; or I could have ProjectXYZ/Questions/To ask, that, after being sent to the customer become ProjectXYZ/Questions/Asked, and, when I receive an answer from the customer ProjectXYZ/Questions/Answered. Depending on the answer, then the Note could be tagged ProjectXYZ/Changes/Changes to implement, and finally ProjectXYZ/Changes/Changes implemented

Depending on how many projects I am working at the same time, therefore, I could have multiple notes at the same status in different projects:

ProjectXYZ/Questions/To_ask
Project123/Questions/To_ask
ProjectABC/Questions/To_ask

or

ProjectXYZ/Changes/To implement
Project123/Changes/To implement

etc.

If I don't see the entire hierarchy, I only see the status, without necessarily being able to see to which project each note belongs to.

As I say, your way of organizing the notes would work for others: it doesn't for me.

So (apart from reverting to 2.4, or putting the whole hierarchy in the text of the note), do you think it would be possible in the future to have a setting to enable and disable the full display of the tag hierarchy? I'm not asking that you revert to the previous behavior for everybody: just that you allow us to choose whether to display the full hierarchy or not.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:40 am

Thanks for the elaboration! Please check the FR forum for my proposed solution.
Alex
Orodeus

Postby Orodeus » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi everybody,
well, I have exactly the same problem as RSchiaffino
I used to tag notes like this:
1) first book/first-chapter
2) second book/first-chapter

but now when I am checking notes, I only see "first-chapter", I can not understand which book it is since it is not shown
I love cintanotes, but one big problem is that Cintanotes team introduce changes without any optional disabling possibility, well maybe they do so to keep Cintanotes as simple as possible...
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:46 pm

Orodeus wrote:Hi everybody,
well, I have exactly the same problem as RSchiaffino
I used to tag notes like this:
1) first book/first-chapter
2) second book/first-chapter

The solution is here http://cintanotes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1856#p8533

Download the beta and go to Options/Notes List and check "Always display full tag names"

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:27 am

Thanks, Thomas!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:13 pm

Riccardo, Orodeus,

Please take a look at 2.7 Beta 2
It behaves more intelligently: full tag name is displayed if any other tag has same short name.
Probably you won't need to turn on the "Always display full tag names" option.
Alex
RSchiaffino

Postby RSchiaffino » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:59 pm

Thank you: I'll check this out immediately!

Riccardo

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”