Right click on tag sidebar

Thomas Lohrum

Right click on tag sidebar

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:14 pm

When i right click on the tag sidebar the tag beneath the mouse cursor becomes activated. This can be useful, but it can be disturbing too. For example, when i want to check my options only or expand a tag tree without necessarily activating it. Maybe only a left click should activate the tag.

Thomas
gunars

Re: Right click on tag sidebar

Postby gunars » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:02 pm

Yes, I also think that only the left-click shoiuld activate the item.

Gunars
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:59 am

Then we need a second kind of cursor there, to indicate the tag which has been right-clicked and properties of which will be edited.
To me seems like not much benefit for a lot of effort, what do you think?
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:15 am

That's true when i want to edit the properties of a tag. But what if i want to create a new tag only or maybe toggle the "show tag count" option? Then it is annoying when a filter gets activated, which is not what i wanted. What possibilities do we have? I can think of (a) holding a key like "Alt+Right-Mouse-Click" or (b) use the context menu to change tag properties only and introduce a menu/button item to handle other related tag settings.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:28 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:That's true when i want to edit the properties of a tag. But what if i want to create a new tag only or maybe toggle the "show tag count" option? Then it is annoying when a filter gets activated, which is not what i wanted. What possibilities do we have? I can think of (a) holding a key like "Alt+Right-Mouse-Click" or (b) use the context menu to change tag properties only and introduce a menu/button item to handle other related tag settings.

Well there's a simple workaround: right-click in the area of "All" and "Untagged" items. Then tag filter won't be changed.
But this is obviously more of a hack ;)
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:35 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Thomas Lohrum wrote:That's true when i want to edit the properties of a tag. But what if i want to create a new tag only or maybe toggle the "show tag count" option? Then it is annoying when a filter gets activated, which is not what i wanted. What possibilities do we have? I can think of (a) holding a key like "Alt+Right-Mouse-Click" or (b) use the context menu to change tag properties only and introduce a menu/button item to handle other related tag settings.
Well there's a simple workaround: right-click in the area of "All" and "Untagged" items. Then tag filter won't be changed.
But this is obviously more of a hack ;)

Thanks for the "hack". There is one more tweak i can think of. The very left space of the tag sidebar is either blank or used by an arrow for tag expanding/collapsing. What if we consider this space as not activating the tag at all?

Thomas
gunars

Postby gunars » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:38 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Then we need a second kind of cursor there, to indicate the tag which has been right-clicked and properties of which will be edited.
To me seems like not much benefit for a lot of effort, what do you think?

A left-click selects a tag and already indicates which one is selected. The right-click doesn't need to select it. Let it function as it does now except for selecting a tag. If Properties is chosen, it will use the current selection (and the Properties dialog indicates which one that is).

Gunars
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:20 am

Gunars, that's an interesting idea! But will it be obvious that the menu is displayed not for the tag which was right-clicked, but for the current selection? BTW if several tags are selected, only properties of one of them can be displayed. Now this is not a problem since right-click only selects one tag.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:05 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Gunars, that's an interesting idea! But will it be obvious that the menu is displayed not for the tag which was right-clicked, but for the current selection? BTW if several tags are selected, only properties of one of them can be displayed. Now this is not a problem since right-click only selects one tag.

Interesting point. I've just selected two tags while having related tags view enabled. Then i right-clicked on another tag. Guess what happened? The view was not updated. I could not tell if any tags were selected at all. Only after scrolling down i was able to verify the selected tag. In regards to the current right-click behaviour i consider this a bug.

Alex, what do you think about this suggestion: The very left space of the tag sidebar is either blank or used by an arrow for tag expanding/collapsing. What if we consider this space as not activating the tag at all?

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:30 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Interesting point. I've just selected two tags while having related tags view enabled. Then i right-clicked on another tag. Guess what happened? The view was not updated. I could not tell if any tags were selected at all. Only after scrolling down i was able to verify the selected tag. In regards to the current right-click behaviour i consider this a bug.

Hm, could you please provide details on how to reproduce this? For me the view always gets updated. How were the initial two tags selected, using AND, OR or NOT?

Alex, what do you think about this suggestion: The very left space of the tag sidebar is either blank or used by an arrow for tag expanding/collapsing. What if we consider this space as not activating the tag at all?

I don't quite see how does relates to right clicks. Do you want to right click there so that your selection is kept intact?
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:41 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Interesting point. I've just selected two tags while having related tags view enabled. Then i right-clicked on another tag. Guess what happened? The view was not updated. I could not tell if any tags were selected at all. Only after scrolling down i was able to verify the selected tag. In regards to the current right-click behaviour i consider this a bug.
Hm, could you please provide details on how to reproduce this? For me the view always gets updated. How were the initial two tags selected, using AND, OR or NOT?

To clarify: the view got updated, but the selected tag was out of sight. I was not able to reproduce this, since it depends on the distance of the tags in relation to the height of the main window.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Alex, what do you think about this suggestion: The very left space of the tag sidebar is either blank or used by an arrow for tag expanding/collapsing. What if we consider this space as not activating the tag at all?
I don't quite see how does relates to right clicks. Do you want to right click there so that your selection is kept intact?

Yes, that's the point. When i right click to the very left space my tag selection should not change.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:58 am

I think that not changing tag selection on right click is a better alternative.
My previous objection about multi-selection turned out to be irrelevant, since even now
selection-sensitive menu items that can work on only one tag ('Rename', 'Properties') get disabled
when multiple tags are selected.
So it should be ok, and seems to me it will feel natural.
If no one objects, I'll schedule it for the upcoming CN version.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:59 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:I think that not changing tag selection on right click is a better alternative.
If no one objects, I'll schedule it for the upcoming CN version.

Ok. Lets give it a try.

Thomas
gunars

Postby gunars » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:34 pm

No objection here.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:13 pm

Released in 2.7 Beta 2
Alex