Ctrl + F12 Hotkey not working in Chrome

phester

Ctrl + F12 Hotkey not working in Chrome

Postby phester » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:10 pm

I downloaded the CintaNotes free version to review before purchasing the Pro Version. The Ctrl+F12 hotkey works in Internet Explorer, Microsoft Office Applications and my email program. Unfortunately, the CintaNotes Ctrl+F12 hotkey doesn't work in Chrome. I'm currently using Windows 7. Also, does CintaNotes work with PDF files? Thank You!
gunars

Re: Ctrl + F12 Hotkey not working in Chrome

Postby gunars » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:52 pm

Clipping works fine for me in Chrome. I do have it mapped to Ctrl+\ (backslash) instead of Ctrl-F12, but I don't think that's the reason. On the other hand, I have problems clipping from Firefox. Half of the time, the new note pops up empty, no text, no url. I tried changing the value for clipping.waittime.seconds in the cintanotes.settings file, but still had problems.

I strongly suspect the cause in my case is that I also run Surfulater for clipping from web pages (less frequently since I started using CN). Surfulater uses the right mouse button for clipping, but I only have this set up in Firefox. If I disable the Surfulater clipper in FF, then CN clipping works fine. (Alex, I hadn't mentioned this to you yet because I wanted to test it some more).

Do you have anything similar installed in Chrome that interacts with the clipboard? Maybe Evernote? If so, try disabling it. What are the symptoms you're getting?

Gunars
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:43 am

Hi Phester, Gunars,

tweaking the clipping.waittime.seconds option in cintanotes.settings is a viable idea, thanks Gunars.

But first we need to collect more data. Phester, could you please do the following:

1) Run CintaNotes and activate "Help/Debug/Debug Logging"
2) Try to clip from Chrome again
3) This will produce the file named "log.1.txt" (either in CN folder,
or in %APPDATA%\CintaNotes) - please send it to me to support@cintanotes.com.

Please note that this file may contain some of your private data, such as tag
names (but no passwords). You may want to edit the file and remove this data
first.

Hope this is not too much to ask, hopefully this will make the problem clear
and we'll be able to fix it quickly. Thanks!
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:59 am

phester wrote:I downloaded the CintaNotes free version to review before purchasing the Pro Version. The Ctrl+F12 hotkey works in Internet Explorer, Microsoft Office Applications and my email program. Unfortunately, the CintaNotes Ctrl+F12 hotkey doesn't work in Chrome. I'm currently using Windows 7. Also, does CintaNotes work with PDF files? Thank You!

Hi Phester,

i use a different approach. I use the "Auto Copy" extension by Jamie Hill. It does copy selected text to the clipboard automatically. Optionally you can configure it to add the URL.

Thomas
phester

Postby phester » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:44 am

The issue (a new note pops up with a title but no text) has been resolved. My antivirus, Webroot Secure Anywhere, was blocking the CintaNotes application. Oddly, though this affected Chrome, it didn't affect any other application. Perhaps the sandboxing that's part of Chrome plays a role. Gunars, I also looked at Surfulater, I noticed that Chrome rejects it since the extension is not part of its web store, but it works fine in FF. Thank you for the feedback from all! I plan to purchase the Pro Edition of CintaNotes later today.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:43 am

Hi Phester,
Thanks a lot for the follow-up and for the purchase! Indeed some AV software can block normal CN clipping activity,
in this case it is advised to add cintanotes.exe to the white list, if the AV has one. CintaNotes is digitally signed, but
unfortunately, not all AV products respect the digital certificate. In this case, starting CN with admin privileges can
help as well.

The question remains still why only Chrome was affected. The log could help here as well.
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”