Working with the editor is a joy

Thomas Lohrum

Working with the editor is a joy

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:05 pm

To Alex and the team at CintaNotes!

i want to stress that working with CintaNotes' editor has become a great pleasure. It has become extremely efficient in regards to creating and editing notes text. Also the latest paste-into-enhancements really gave it a kick. Another is formatting which lets you control action on words or paragraphs. The whole process of creating text and lists is truly predictable. It is a joy. If you have ever tried to do the same with MS Word, you'll know what i am talking about. One issue is left though (http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/275776-keyboard-shortcuts-for-text-formatting-should-behave-standardly/) and i am looking forward to get a fix for this eventually.

Huge thanks for your ongoing efforts to the CintaNotes team!!!

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Working with the editor is a joy

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:17 am

Thanks for all the kind words, Thomas! May I mention that it was mostly thanks to your
help that the editor has become much better now? )

About stateful shortcuts - actually it should already be working in 2.7.2 Beta 1, I just
forgot to mention it in the changelog. Please try it out. E.g. pressing Ctrl+B and then writing
in bold now works.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:58 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Thanks for all the kind words, Thomas! May I mention that it was mostly thanks to your
help that the editor has become much better now? )

Sure! May i mention that without you listening it would not have helped much? ;) Enough sweets ;) It is a joy working together with you.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:About stateful shortcuts - actually it should already be working in 2.7.2 Beta 1, I just
forgot to mention it in the changelog. Please try it out. E.g. pressing Ctrl+B and then writing in bold now works.

How can you forget to mention that long awaited fix? ;) I almost had said hurrah, but there is a bug that prevents me from further testing.

Steps to reproduce:
  • press Ctrl+U
  • write some text
  • press Enter

The state gets lost, that is underline is off, but should be on. This is also true for list items (Shift+Enter). The state should change only, when the user changes it.

Also i am unsure whether paragraph shortcuts Ctrl+Shift+B/U/I/ should also switch state. I suggest to get the bug fixed first. After that it should become more clear what to do best.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:02 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:How can you forget to mention that long awaited fix? ;) I almost had said hurrah, but there is a bug that prevents me from further testing.

Steps to reproduce:
  • press Ctrl+U
  • write some text
  • press Enter

The state gets lost, that is underline is off, but should be on. This is also true for list items (Shift+Enter). The state should change only, when the user changes it.

Yes I confirm the problem. I'm not sure we'll be able to fix it in 2.7.2, since I've already starting on rolling out the release. But in the upcoming 2.8 beta it will be fixed for sure.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Also i am unsure whether paragraph shortcuts Ctrl+Shift+B/U/I/ should also switch state. I suggest to get the bug fixed first. After that it should become more clear what to do best.

I agree, let's leave them be for now ;)
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:06 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Thomas Lohrum wrote:Steps to reproduce:
  • press Ctrl+U
  • write some text
  • press Enter

Yes I confirm the problem. I'm not sure we'll be able to fix it in 2.7.2, since I've already starting on rolling out the release. But in the upcoming 2.8 beta it will be fixed for sure.

I confirm this is fixed with 2.8 beta 1. :D

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:11 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Thomas Lohrum wrote:Also i am unsure whether paragraph shortcuts Ctrl+Shift+B/U/I/ should also switch state. I suggest to get the bug fixed first. After that it should become more clear what to do best.
I agree, let's leave them be for now ;)

Now that all related bugs are fixed, i did a quick test. I think the current design is practical as it allows to act on a paragraph without interfering state. For example i can write a headline and press Ctrl+Shift+U to underline it. After pressing Enter i can continue writing regular text without any formatting. This is handsome compared to press Ctrl+U, write headline, press Ctrl+U again.

Thomas
gunars

Postby gunars » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:37 pm

I like the paragraph formatting - I hadn't tried it before. I ran into a small inconsistency though: the paragraph formatting shortcuts for highlight and monospace (Ctrl+Shift+H and +M) only turn on the format instead of toggling it. The Ctrl+Shift+D must be used to clear them, but that removes all the formats. For all the others (bold, italic, etc), the Ctrl+Shift toggles that format on and off.

Gunars
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:01 pm

gunars wrote:I like the paragraph formatting - I hadn't tried it before. I ran into a small inconsistency though: the paragraph formatting shortcuts for highlight and monospace (Ctrl+Shift+H and +M) only turn on the format instead of toggling it. The Ctrl+Shift+D must be used to clear them, but that removes all the formats. For all the others (bold, italic, etc), the Ctrl+Shift toggles that format on and off.Gunars

Good catch Gunars. I can confirm the behavior. For example write some text and press Ctrl+Shift+H. First time will activate highlighting, but consecutive execution does not inverse the format. A workaround is to move the caret (a position to the left or right) which will allow reversing again. The bug exists to both Ctrl+Shift+H and Ctrl+Shift+M.

Thomas
gunars

Postby gunars » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:17 pm

Hmmm, interesting workaround also.
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:19 pm

gunars wrote:Hmmm, interesting workaround also.

Yep :lol: It will help until it will be fixed with 2.8 final (Alex?).

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:39 am

gunars wrote:I like the paragraph formatting - I hadn't tried it before. I ran into a small inconsistency though: the paragraph formatting shortcuts for highlight and monospace (Ctrl+Shift+H and +M) only turn on the format instead of toggling it. The Ctrl+Shift+D must be used to clear them, but that removes all the formats. For all the others (bold, italic, etc), the Ctrl+Shift toggles that format on and off.

Gunars

I confirm, great catch Gunars! Will be fixed in 2.8 final, thanks.
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”