Site Admin

[Ann] CintaNotes 2.8 Beta 1

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:14 am

Sep 25, 2014 - Version 2.8 Beta1

In this version:

Features:
  • Forward and backward filter navigation on the search bar

Enhancements:
  • Tag sidebar: tags font is now configurable with "app.mainframe.tagsidebar.font" settings file option
  • Improved notebook loading and switching performance
  • Improved section switching performance
  • Improved notes list scrolling performance
  • Improved tag renaming, splitting and merging performance
  • Improved import performance
  • Don't reset filter to keep just edited note visible by default (will affect new installations only)

Fixes:
  • Editor: fixed outstanding stateful text formatting issues
  • Tag sidebar: scrolling should stop when mouse button is released
  • Editor: "Insert Link" command is disabled when selected text is wrapped

Download:
Installable: CintaNotes_2_8_Beta1_Setup.exe
Portable: CintaNotes_2_8_Beta1.zip

WARNING! BETA SOFTWARE! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK AND ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR NOTES FIRST!
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.8 Beta 1

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:47 am

Alex,

i am just running tests with the new navigation feature. Can you tell what shortcuts are related to it, please! Neither Alt+arrow-left/right nor Alt+Backspace work for me.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:49 am

I have "all" buttons activated. Navigation is fine. When i switch to a single section which has a tag filter applied and jump back to the "all" section, the tag filter remains. Thus the search result is different, not what i expected.

Thomas

[EDIT 13:50]Actually this destroys the search history too.
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:57 am

Suggestion: In Chrome when you click and hold on one of the navigation buttons it will show you a clickable list of the history. Nice to have.
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:00 pm

I do a search for a simple text (no tag filter). I reset using Ctrl+F. I do a new search with another text. The empty search (created by using Ctrl+F) gets stored to the history. I think empty lists (no search text, no tag filter) must not be stored to history list.

Thomas
gunars

Postby gunars » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:20 pm

I agree with both of Thomas' suggestions. Firefox also displays the history when right-clicking the button. This would be quite useful. On the other hand, the empty search string in the history is not very useful :-).
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:26 pm

gunars wrote:Firefox also displays the history when right-clicking the button.

Chrome supports both: right click and left click (hold the mouse button)
Thomas Lohrum

Crash on tag searching

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:37 pm

My example: search for "blogs javascript", both are tags. The list gets filtered and shows seven notes. After i press Enter the list still shows seven items, whereas the hit counter shows one hit only, which is correct. After that CN freezes. Log.1.txt send via private mail.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:22 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:i am just running tests with the new navigation feature. Can you tell what shortcuts are related to it, please! Neither Alt+arrow-left/right nor Alt+Backspace work for me.

Didn't add the shortcuts yet, sorry! I want to use simple BkSp for "back" and Shift+BkSp for "forward".
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:26 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I have "all" buttons activated. Navigation is fine. When i switch to a single section which has a tag filter applied and jump back to the "all" section, the tag filter remains. Thus the search result is different, not what i expected.

I'm not sure I get what is the problem here. Does 2.7 act differently here? "All" is still not a section. When you press "All", you just add all inactive sections to the current section selection. What counts is which section is selected first. When you switch to a single section, you change this main section. When you click on "All" you still have the new "main" section, not the old one.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Actually this destroys the search history too.

It's just that your mental model and the model of the program are different now. The "All" section doesn't exist and doesn't have independent state.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:27 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I have "all" buttons activated. Navigation is fine. When i switch to a single section which has a tag filter applied and jump back to the "all" section, the tag filter remains. Thus the search result is different, not what i expected.

I'm not sure I get what is the problem here. Does 2.7 act differently here? "All" is still not a section. When you press "All", you just add all inactive sections to the current section selection. What counts is which section is selected first. When you switch to a single section, you change this main section. When you click on "All" you still have the new "main" section, not the old one.

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Actually this destroys the search history too.

It's just that your mental model and the model of the program are different now. The "All" section doesn't exist and doesn't have independent state. If you remember which was the first section intially and go to it, the search history will be there.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:29 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Suggestion: In Chrome when you click and hold on one of the navigation buttons it will show you a clickable list of the history. Nice to have.

Yes, I thought about it. But what to display in this list when only tag filter has been changed, or only the sorting?
Also I don't like the "long press" thing, in Windows it is rarely used. IMO right click would be better.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:31 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I do a search for a simple text (no tag filter). I reset using Ctrl+F. I do a new search with another text. The empty search (created by using Ctrl+F) gets stored to the history. I think empty lists (no search text, no tag filter) must not be stored to history list.

Probably you're right (but the first filter I guess should be stored regardless, so that you could go back to the initial state). But what if just the sorting changes? I think it should be recorded.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:32 am

gunars wrote:I agree with both of Thomas' suggestions. Firefox also displays the history when right-clicking the button. This would be quite useful. On the other hand, the empty search string in the history is not very useful :-).

Thanks for your opinion, Gunars!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Crash on tag searching

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:33 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:My example: search for "blogs javascript", both are tags. The list gets filtered and shows seven notes. After i press Enter the list still shows seven items, whereas the hit counter shows one hit only, which is correct. After that CN freezes. Log.1.txt send via private mail.

Thanks for the report! Already investigating the issue.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:22 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Thomas Lohrum wrote:i am just running tests with the new navigation feature. Can you tell what shortcuts are related to it, please! Neither Alt+arrow-left/right nor Alt+Backspace work for me.
Didn't add the shortcuts yet, sorry! I want to use simple BkSp for "back" and Shift+BkSp for "forward".

These are standard keys for browsers. However this will not work in CN when the control for the search-text has the focus. It would take the ability to delete a character. Alt+arrow-left/right on the other hand are supported in browsers too (i checked Chrome and IE). They can also be used in the url control of the browser. The keys are not used in CN yet. So they seem to be a better choice for CN.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:30 pm

Thanks for your explanation. I got your point. Walking through the history can be confusing. I do have a better understanding now.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:36 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:I do a search for a simple text (no tag filter). I reset using Ctrl+F. I do a new search with another text. The empty search (created by using Ctrl+F) gets stored to the history. I think empty lists (no search text, no tag filter) must not be stored to history list.
Probably you're right (but the first filter I guess should be stored regardless, so that you could go back to the initial state). But what if just the sorting changes? I think it should be recorded.

Good arguments. In other words: The initial state can be a list without text or tag filter, right?! I agree it makes sense to store the initial state. Also a change of the sort order, compared to the initial state, should be stored. A state which does have identical sort order to the initial state and does not have a text or tag filter should not be stored though.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:41 pm

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Suggestion: In Chrome when you click and hold on one of the navigation buttons it will show you a clickable list of the history. Nice to have.
Yes, I thought about it. But what to display in this list when only tag filter has been changed, or only the sorting?

You could display the selected tags. Another more generic approach is to simply display the text "tag filter changed". This also is possible with "sort order changed". This should fit the bill without requiring much coding.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Also I don't like the "long press" thing, in Windows it is rarely used. IMO right click would be better.

Chrome displays a hint when you hover over the icons, so the long press is not really a problem. Btw. Chrome supports both, that is long press and right click.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:52 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:These are standard keys for browsers. However this will not work in CN when the control for the search-text has the focus. It would take the ability to delete a character. Alt+arrow-left/right on the other hand are supported in browsers too (i checked Chrome and IE). They can also be used in the url control of the browser. The keys are not used in CN yet. So they seem to be a better choice for CN.

I think we can have the best of both worlds. The convenience of simply pressing BkSp is not to be overlooked. But you're right about this key not being available while focus is in the search box. So I say let's support both set of keys: BkSp/Shift+BkSp and Alt+Left/Right.
The former will only work when focus is in the notes list, the latter will work regardless of the focus.
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”