Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:53 am

Oct 16, 2014 - Version 2.8

In this version:

Features:
  • Search history: forward and backward navigation on the search bar
  • Search history menu on right click on back and forward buttons
  • Add option Tags/Autodeleted by default

Enhancements:
  • Tag sidebar: tags font is now configurable with "app.mainframe.tagsidebar.font" settings file option
  • Improved notebook loading and switching performance
  • Improved section switching performance
  • Improved notes list scrolling performance
  • Improved tag renaming, splitting and merging performance
  • Improved import performance
  • Don't reset filter to keep just edited note visible by default (will affect new installations only)
  • Recycle bin: upon restoring notes, create sections if necessary

Fixes:
  • Editor: fixed outstanding stateful text formatting issues
  • Tag sidebar: scrolling should stop when mouse button is released
  • Editor: "Insert Link" command is disabled when selected text is wrapped
  • Editor: vertical tabs are treated as paragraph separators
  • Editor: inconsistent behavior of some text formatting shortcuts
  • Fix possible crash on import
  • Notebook file name in app title turns to lower case
  • Tab scrolling sometimes can freeze
  • Simplenote sync: fix many causes for crashes and hangs

Download:
Installable: CintaNotes_2_8_Setup.exe
Portable: CintaNotes_2_8.zip

HUGE thanks to all who took part in testing the beta versions!
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.8 Final

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:04 pm

This may be a similar problem to that described in the following thread, but I mention it here in this thread because I am using 2.8 final:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1909

I have just had CintaNotes wipe some tags from one of my notebooks. I had cut and pasted 3 notes with the same tag from one notebook to another - that made a total of 8 notes with that same tag in the notebook I pasted the notes into. I then edited the title of one of those pasted notes, and when I clicked Ok, I noticed that CintaNotes had deleted the tag totally (ie it was removed from the tag sidebar). I can't recall now if I had clicked the tag after I had pasted the notes into the notebook (ie I don't know if CN was filtering the notes list or not when I edited the note's title).

Based on this happening to me, and the other thread, it seems as though there may be at least one large tagging bug in CN right now. I wonder if I have had any other tags removed without me noticing? :(

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:19 am

Chris, thanks for the report!
I'm trying to reproduce the issue but alas still failing to do it.

I did the following:
- Made sure that "Options/Tag/Autodeleted by default" was ON
- Created a new notebok called "nb1", created 4 notes in it (n1, n2, n3, n4), all with tag "t1".
- Create a second notebook called "nb2"
- Switched to nb1, selected n1-n3, pressed Shift+Del to cut them.
- In nb1 remained 1 note with t1, t1 wasn't deleted
- Switched to nb2, pasted notes there - t1 correctly had 3 notes.

What did you do differently? Thanks!

PS Do you have SN sync on? Did you edit these notes outside of CN in any SN client?
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:28 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:What did you do differently? Thanks!

The only thing I can see different there is that i. I used Ctrl+X and ii. The tags were removed from the destination notebook, not the source notebook as you have written there (so they were removed from nb2, not nb1). I will see if I can reproduce it myself.

PS Do you have SN sync on?

I don't believe so - how do you activate SN sync? I don't use SimpleNote (don't even really know what it is), so I don't think so, but if you can tell me how to check if it is on, I will do so.

Did you edit these notes outside of CN in any SN client?

No, don't use SimpleNote.
RSchiaffino

Tag Count Bug - CN 2.8

Postby RSchiaffino » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:43 pm

I’ve found what I think is a new bug in the new version: the number of tags in the tag bar for certain tags does not correspond to the number of notes tagged with those tags. For example, I have four notes tagged as “Arpd_24186/Notes”, but the tag count in the sidebar is only “1” (see attached screenshot)
Attachments
CN_2.8_TagCountBug.jpg
CN_2.8_TagCountBug.jpg (301.77 KiB) Viewed 14546 times
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:16 am

usbpoweredfridge wrote:The only thing I can see different there is that i. I used Ctrl+X and ii. The tags were removed from the destination notebook, not the source notebook as you have written there (so they were removed from nb2, not nb1).

Shift+Del or Ctrl+X should make no difference.
Let's recap:
1) The tags were present both in nb1 and nb2 before you took any action?
2) Which tags did the cut-and-pasted notes have?

I don't believe so - how do you activate SN sync? I don't use SimpleNote (don't even really know what it is), so I don't think so, but if you can tell me how to check if it is on, I will do so.

Simplenote is a free online service for storing notes in the cloud and accessing them from any device.
SN sync is activated via the File/Synchronization menu. But to use it, you need first to create a free account on simplenote.com.
Anyhow, since you are not using SN sync, it has clearly nothing to do with the problem.

I will see if I can reproduce it myself.

Any luck here?

As soon as there is a sure way to reproduce the problem, fixing it should be trivial!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Tag Count Bug - CN 2.8

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:18 am

RSchiaffino wrote:I’ve found what I think is a new bug in the new version: the number of tags in the tag bar for certain tags does not correspond to the number of notes tagged with those tags. For example, I have four notes tagged as “Arpd_24186/Notes”, but the tag count in the sidebar is only “1” (see attached screenshot)

Hi Riccardo,
Thanks for the report!

1. What did you do with these notes or tags before you noticed this problem? Please check:
[ ] Editing notes without retagging them
[ ] Editing notes and adding this tag
[ ] Editing notes and removing this tag
[ ] Creating new notes with this tag via INS
[ ] Creating new notes with this tag via clipping
[ ] Creating new notes with this tag via pasting from clipbaord
[ ] Adding/removing tags via F4
[ ] Adding/removing tags via middle-click
[ ] Renaming tags
[ ] Import notes
[ ] Moving notes from section to section with Shift+F6
[ ] Cut/pasting notes from section to section
[ ] Running Simplenote sync

2. Does the problem persist when you close and re-open the notebook?

Thanks!
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:54 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Shift+Del or Ctrl+X should make no difference.
Let's recap:
1) The tags were present both in nb1 and nb2 before you took any action?
2) Which tags did the cut-and-pasted notes have?

1. Correct.
2. From memory, I think the cut and pasted notes may have had two tags each. Using the previous nb1/nb2 and t1/t2 example:
nb1 - three notes to cut and paste to nb2:
note1, tagged t1 and t2
note2, tagged t1 and t3
note3, tagged t1 and t4
nb2:
A number of notes existed with t1 - the one thing I am unsure of is if I have t1 selected in nb2 or not (as in, nb2 may or may not have been filtered on that tag when I did the paste)

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Simplenote is a free online service for storing notes in the cloud and accessing them from any device.
SN sync is activated via the File/Synchronization menu. But to use it, you need first to create a free account on simplenote.com.
Anyhow, since you are not using SN sync, it has clearly nothing to do with the problem.

Yes, in that case, definitely not in use here.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Any luck here?

As soon as there is a sure way to reproduce the problem, fixing it should be trivial!

Frustratingly, no luck as yet - and I have tried. I have come to the conclusion that:

1. It is possible that my memory of the steps - even though I wrote the post immediately after it happened - may have been faulty and maybe I have left a step out, or put the steps in the wrong order; or

2. My memory of the steps are correct, but the outcome depends on the state of CN and/or the notebooks at the time. That is, I am correctly trying to reproduce but I am not getting the same result (ie the tags vanishing) because CN's state is slightly different to what it was when I originally saw the problem.

At the moment, I am doing a lot of cutting and pasting of notes to move them between notebooks - I will keep an eye on it and see if I notice the problem again.

Chris
RSchiaffino

Postby RSchiaffino » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:29 pm

1. What did you do with these notes or tags before you noticed this problem? Please check:
[ ] Editing notes without retagging them
[ ] Editing notes and adding this tag
[ ] Editing notes and removing this tag
[ ] Creating new notes with this tag via INS
[X] Creating new notes with this tag via clipping
[ ] Creating new notes with this tag via pasting from clipbaord
[ ] Adding/removing tags via F4
[ ] Adding/removing tags via middle-click
[ ] Renaming tags
[ ] Import notes
[ ] Moving notes from section to section with Shift+F6
[ ] Cut/pasting notes from section to section
[ ] Running Simplenote sync

2. Does the problem persist when you close and re-open the notebook?
No

If this may help: at the moment when I noticed this I had open the note I had just created via clipping
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:13 pm

I have just had the same disappearing tags problem happen again. On this occasion, I was just clipping articles from websites into a notebook - I was not cutting and pasting notes between notebooks. As I was not paying attention, I do not know what I did exactly to produce it however :(

I could have finished clipping a note, I could have changed changed something in an existing note, or I may have even hit the clipping hotkey and then cancelled the note that CN wanted to create (I just don't know). All I know is that I looked at my notebook after doing something, only to find that the tag count for the tag I had the notes list filtered by had dropped from 21 to 0.

Chris
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:31 pm

Ok, I think I can now reliably reproduce it - well, there could be multiple cases of producing this, so it would be more accurate to say I think I can reliably reproduce at least one case where it occurs.

I have a notebook which has a number of notes and tags. I click a tag to filter the notebook, which leaves a number of notes showing. I then open one of the notes in the editor and make changes to it. This is where it gets a little odd. If I change only say a couple of characters, everything will likely be fine. However, it seems as though once I change a certain number of characters, that is where the problem starts. Anyway, once I change a number of characters in the note, I click Ok, and when CN returns to the notes list, the tags count for the filtered tag has changed to zero.

That is literally all I do. The trick seems to be - how many characters do I need to change to trigger it? I'm not sure about that, but in the case that I have just reproduced, changing two characters in the note did not trigger it, but changing a further twelve (making fourteen characters changed in total) did trigger it. I don't think it would matter - I will need to do some more tests to see if the characters being changed are relevant - but in this case, the characters I was changing were the unicode “ and ” symbols for the normal non-unicode " symbol.

The notebook is set to "Only Related Tags" - again, not sure if that is relevant to producing the problem or not. Some more testing is required.

Chris
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:54 pm

usbpoweredfridge wrote:I have just had the same disappearing tags problem happen again. On this occasion, I was just clipping articles from websites into a notebook - I was not cutting and pasting notes between notebooks. As I was not paying attention, I do not know what I did exactly to produce it however :(

I could have finished clipping a note, I could have changed changed something in an existing note, or I may have even hit the clipping hotkey and then cancelled the note that CN wanted to create (I just don't know). All I know is that I looked at my notebook after doing something, only to find that the tag count for the tag I had the notes list filtered by had dropped from 21 to 0.

Chris

I confirm, that at the time i encountered that problem, i also noticed that the tag got removed from my notes. The tag itself remained with a count of zero. In other words the references to the notes were lost.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:56 pm

usbpoweredfridge wrote:Ok, I think I can now reliably reproduce it ...

Chris, i was not able to reproduce the problem with the supplied steps. Instead i got an error when i tried to quit CN.

---------------------------
Error
class err::InvalidStateException
ui::Window::getHwnd class ui::Window const *: Cinta.ToolTipper,tooltips_class32
OK

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:34 am

RSchiaffino wrote:1. What did you do with these notes or tags before you noticed this problem? Please check:
[X] Creating new notes with this tag via clipping

Thanks for the information.

If this may help: at the moment when I noticed this I had open the note I had just created via clipping

So you have Options/Clipping/After Clipping/Open in Editor turned on?
Would it be possible for you to send me your settings file to support@cintanotes.com?
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:37 am

usbpoweredfridge wrote:I have a notebook which has a number of notes and tags. I click a tag to filter the notebook, which leaves a number of notes showing. I then open one of the notes in the editor and make changes to it. This is where it gets a little odd. If I change only say a couple of characters, everything will likely be fine. However, it seems as though once I change a certain number of characters, that is where the problem starts. Anyway, once I change a number of characters in the note, I click Ok, and when CN returns to the notes list, the tags count for the filtered tag has changed to zero.

That's weird, but I still can't reproduce this :( Is this reproducible in a new notebook? Maybe you could create a sample notebook where this effect occurs, and also send me your settings file? Huge thanks in advance!
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:38 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Chris, i was not able to reproduce the problem with the supplied steps. Instead i got an error when i tried to quit CN.

Wow this seems to be an unrelated bug. Was debug logging on? Is there anything interesting in the log file?
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:52 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Thomas Lohrum wrote:Chris, i was not able to reproduce the problem with the supplied steps. Instead i got an error when i tried to quit CN.
Wow this seems to be an unrelated bug. Was debug logging on? Is there anything interesting in the log file?

After 2.8 final was released i finally turned off logging for performance reasons. After the crash the log1.txt file remained empty, as usual.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:45 am

Chris, Thomas, Riccardo: please try 2.8.1 Beta1. I really hope that the tag issues are now fixed. thanks
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”