[Ann] CintaNotes 2.8.5 Final

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

[Ann] CintaNotes 2.8.5 Final

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:07 pm

Hi all,
Finally here's the final release of 2.8.5!
Huge thanks to all who was kind enough to test the beta!
After this release we're on to 2.9 with file attachments and (maybe) database encryption!

Feb 16, 2015 - Version 2.8.5

In this version:

Enhancements:
  • Editor: replaced "Tags", "Link" and "Remarks" labels with icons
  • Editor: made Ctrl+Del delete note confirmation optional
  • Simplenote sync: if synchronization was activated, start syncing immediately after closing the Synchronization dialog
  • Internal code improvements

Fixes:
  • Simplenote sync: fixed moving remote notes to recycle bin bug
  • Simplenote sync: don't request tag index twice
  • Wrong backup path used when CintaNotes is in Program Files subfolder
  • Remove unnecessary notebook reload after import

Download:
Installable: CintaNotes_2_8_5_Setup.exe
Portable: CintaNotes_2_8_5.zip
Alex
RStroud

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 2.8.5 Final

Postby RStroud » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:23 am

Alex,

Thank you for your continued work to add features and various tweaks to this wonderful program. CintaNotes is truly indispensable to me. If CintaNotes did not exist, I would have to hunt around, desperately, to find something else, and I know that I would not be able to find anything quite like this incredibly useful database.

Sometimes, in our zeal to improve things, we make changes that are, maybe, neither necessary nor especially beneficial. The change of the Tags, Remarks, and Link labels to icons may fall into that category. I did not find the labels to be distracting or aesthetically displeasing. In my opinion, the icons are not as functional as the labels were, and they seem to be a bit distracting. However, I know that I will get used to them.

Best ...

Roland
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:41 am

Hi Roland,

the change to icons was made as a preparation to support file and image attachments. Myself i got used to them rather quick and actually like them now, after being crucial in the beginning.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:32 am

Hi Roland,

Thanks a lot for your comment and for all the kind words!

RStroud wrote:Sometimes, in our zeal to improve things, we make changes that are, maybe, neither necessary nor especially beneficial. The change of the Tags, Remarks, and Link labels to icons may fall into that category. I did not find the labels to be distracting or aesthetically displeasing. In my opinion, the icons are not as functional as the labels were, and they seem to be a bit distracting. However, I know that I will get used to them.

Tough question, really. The changes in 2.8.5 are just a little step toward a more modern UI of versions 2.9 and 3.0.
I know it is impossible to please everyone, so I guess there will always be someone who likes the previous version better.
However, the fact is that now you have more useful space for tags and remarks. That's a huge plus, especially since
the space will be needed to add the attachments.
Also, the labels are still there, they are just inline now. So this version should be no more difficult for novice users.
The only remaining objection is aesthetic one. That's a matter of taste. For now, most of the feedback I'm getting is positive.
But if many people write here and criticize the new look, we'll know that this is a problem that needs fixing.
Alex
gunars

Postby gunars » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:00 pm

I was also a bit skeptical at first, but I got used to them and think they look good.
gustms

Postby gustms » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:31 am

Liked the icons a lot. Really looking forward to this new UI. Thank you!
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:07 am

Thanks for your opinions, guys!
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”