Shortcut Handling in remarks field

Thomas Lohrum

Shortcut Handling in remarks field

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:21 pm

Hi Alex,

we had this discussion way back, but it keeps bugging me. I use Ctrl+Home/End to navigate to the notes text all the time. However that key is used by the remarks field also. That requires to use another key to be able to leave the field. Imo the simplest solution is to jump to the notes text when Ctrl+Home/End gets pressed twice in the remarks field. That is, the caret is at position 1 or at the end of the text respectively. Another solution could be to use Ctrl+Page-Up/Down as new shortcuts. Btw. when you press Ctrl+Page Up in the remarks field it will jump to the link field. No other field reacts on that key though (except the editor itself).

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Shortcut Handling in remarks field

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:44 pm

Hi Thomas,
Thanks for your suggestion. I'm not sure about the "double-press" solution - haven't seen this implemented anywhere in other software, and this is something what has to be read up in Help to be aware of. Not sure about Ctrl+PgUp either though.
What about Ctrl+Shift+Home/End or something like this? The keys would be context-independent of course.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:51 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:What about Ctrl+Shift+Home/End or something like this? The keys would be context-independent of course.

We discussed the possibilities earlier. They're cumbersome one way or the other. Alt-Keys proved not to be a could solution. Nor Shift+Keys, since they are used for selecting text.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:I'm not sure about the "double-press" solution - haven't seen this implemented anywhere in other software, and this is something what has to be read up in Help to be aware of. Not sure about Ctrl+PgUp either though.

I know the double-press is unique. So is CintaNotes. ;) We have a special situation here, when two editors are used in one dialog.

Some thoughts:

• When the user presses Ctrl+Home the first time in the remarks field the caret will be set to position one. If the user wants to continue editing the remark he/she won't press Ctrl+Home again anyway. In case the user wants to edit the notes text he simply can press Ctrl+Home again. No need to switch to some other shortcut. Imo the double press comes in handy.
  • When the user presses Ctrl+Home while the caret is at position one already the focus will switch to the notes text. I agree this reaction can be unexpected. On the other hand, when the caret is at position one already, why would the user press Ctrl+Home anyway?

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:49 am

Ok let's do the "double Ctrl+Home". I think it is the lesser evil :)
Will add it to the backlog.
Alex
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:55 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Ok let's do the "double Ctrl+Home". I think it is the lesser evil :)
Will add it to the backlog.

Thanks. I appreciate. We'll see how it works out after all.

Thomas

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”