I know this is unexpected - what, 2.8.6 beta after 2.9 beta?
(By the way, huge thanks to all who took part in testing the 2.9 beta, and provided comments - you guys
The reason is that we've stumbled upon a major setback while implementing support for attachments in
the Simplenote sync. Turns out that Simplenote can't handle notes of more than 500Kb in size. This was ok for
notes themselves, since they are seldom more than 100k, but for attachments this is critical.
It's time to admit that we've arrived at the limits of what Simplenote can do for us. Of course we could work around
this problem by using extra "phantom" notes with file data, but I consider this to be a messy solution, since these notes
would be visible in all mobile and web clients.
Dropbox is also not a solution here as we wouldn't want to bother the users with registering on two different platforms
just to sync the notes.
So we have no other choice but to take a step back and re-think the attachment syncing. We are now considering
using a cloud file storage like Amazon S3 or Google Cloud Storage. Obviously this will take us more time, and hence 2.9
release has to be postponed.
I always liked the approach of Blizzard Entertainment: "we'll release it when it is ready".
In the meanwhile, we've accumulated a number of important bugfixes that should greatly
improve the user experience, and I consider it unproductive to delay releasing them any longer.
So here we are: 2.8.6.
Hope you can relate, and I'd be grateful if you'd be able to test the version below! Thanks!
WARNING: Note that this version is not able to read the 2.9 format, so to downgrade from 2.9 Beta
you'd need to use XML export!
Apr 28, 2015 - Version 2.8.6 Beta1
In this version:
- Window position not always restored correctly after restart
- Editor: internal note links can get corrupt
- Editor: on some computers note links are not copied when pasting notes as RTF
- Editor: ampersand (&) and apostrophe (') are not recognized as part of URL
- Editor: link editor doesn't resize after pressing enter
- Editor: removing list style should convert vertical tabs to CRLFs
- Editor: link field should be trimmed on exiting the edit mode
- Search: search string becomes lower case after program restart
- Simplenote sync: recycle bin issues
- Simplenote sync: CN resets SN note's "Pinned to top" status
- Simplenote sync: crash on downloading note containing special chars
- Simplenote sync: infinite uploading
- Error when closing CN while editor with a changed note is open
- Synchronization dialog: not possible to delete login credentials
- Synchronization dialog: initial focus missing
- License: trailing blanks in the "Registration Name and Email" field prevent registration