Standard Tab?

orsonk

Standard Tab?

Postby orsonk » Fri May 15, 2015 2:50 pm

I'm new to CintaNotes, just trying out the free version right now, having used OneNote and Evernote a lot (as well as Zoot).

I was surprised at how the Tab key works, jumping me down to the Tag field.

And the closest thing to using the Tab key is pressing Ctrl+Tab, which then becomes a "permanent" indent.

There is no way to produce the common tab indent as in most word processors -- am I correct? (Could not find it among the keyboard shortcuts.)

In many ways this is clearly a very well thought-out software product -- plenty of attention to detail -- which is partly why I'm surprised at missing this one thing I expect in virtually any note-taking application.

Have other users had similar reactions? Did you just get accustomed to the way CintaNotes works after awhile? Are there valid reasons for NOT having such a command?

Thanks for any feedback from experienced users. Like I said, I'm impressed in many ways by the quality of this tool.

Orson
Thomas Lohrum

Re: Standard Tab?

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri May 15, 2015 6:53 pm

Hi orsonk,

welcome to the forum and to CintaNotes as well. Personally i never missed the tab-key. I find its usage very convenient, as well as most of CN's functionality. Yes, i am a big CN fan. :)

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon May 18, 2015 10:08 am

Hi Orson,

Thanks for your kind words and for a good question!

You 're right - pressing Ctrl+Tab in the begging of a paragraph will indent the whole
paragraph.
There's way to insert the Tab character, but you won't like it - you can Ctrl+V it there
from some other place (pressing Ctrl+Tab in the end of a line inserts regular tab character).

However I'd like to know why paragraph indents are not good for you.
When you copy and paste into notepad, they get autoconverted to spaces - it that what's
bothering you?

Am I correct in assuming that you need it for editing some source code?
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Tue May 19, 2015 7:46 am

I understand what Orson is trying to say, and he is right - CN's implementation of a tab character (which comes in handy in other circumstances than source code editing) is odd compared to all other Windows programs I've ever used. There are two oddities:

1. Tab by itself does not produce a tab character. Ok, this is alleviated slightly by using Ctrl+Tab instead, but still - it is an unusual key combination, and frankly, it would be nice to have an option to change this. If I want to move to other fields in the note editor, I will either i. Use the mouse and click, or ii. Use the arrow keys, which do the exact same thing.

2. Once you hit Ctrl+Tab, it is permanent until you disable it again. From reading Orson's post, I suspect that this is the major issue - in other Windows programs such as Word, the Tab is only a single character. It does not remain 'on' until you switch it off again. Again, something I'd like to see changed personally.

Chris
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue May 19, 2015 5:18 pm

In case this will be changed i ask to make this an option. I don't use tabs and prefer its usage of switching controls.

Thomas
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Wed May 20, 2015 2:05 am

For what it is worth, I would be happy with an option to switch behaviours - I would even be happy if the default behaviour remained how CN currently works.

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu May 21, 2015 12:47 pm

Ok I hear you!
Turns out we already have this idea on the roadmap:
http://roadmap.cintanotes.com/topic/422 ... te-editor/

But it needs more love. Please vote for it, and we'll surely implement it since it's not very difficult.
Also probably we could use another shortcuts for indenting/outdenting text. I'm only afraid that everyone will then use tab characters
for indenting paragraphs..
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Fri May 22, 2015 10:31 am

Thanks Alex, added my support.

Chris
orsonk

Postby orsonk » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:26 pm

I'd say that usbpoweredfridge has responded as I would. Standard Tab is simply something I'm accustomed to in every other program I normally use. I am gradually getting used to the way Cinta works, however. I will vote for the suggestion that was mentioned to give us the option of having a "normal" Tab.

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”