[Ann] CintaNotes 3.1 Beta 2

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 3.1 Beta 2

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:02 am

3.1 Final is out - please check it out!
Huge thanks once again for your help and advice!
Alex
Ovg

Postby Ovg » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:52 am

Hi Alex!
CintaNotes Developer wrote:Hi Ovg,
please note that CN currently doesn't support and thus can't recognize multi-level lists.

Thank you for clarification!

WBR, Oleg
It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
CN 3.14β3 LifeTime Pro Licence / Windows 7 SP1 x64
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:36 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:So after clipping, if you assign section first, then you'll receive the needed tag suggestions.

Hm, even with 3.1 final, this does not work like you describe. It always shows the tags from the section you were in when you clipped the note, regardless of what you change the section to after the editor opens.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Probably you should try it out. If you still don't like it, you can tick the option off and be done with it.
And remember that you can always press Ctrl+Space at any time to force diplay of all possible tags.

If the problem I mentioned just above is fixed, I will try it out - for the moment, I've turned it off because it breaks my workflow I'm afraid (as CN shows me the tags for the wrong section).

As an aside, with the feature enabled, there appears to be no way to go back to the section only tags though after you hit Ctrl+Space for the second time. That could be useful - hit Ctrl+Space, don't see the tag you want. Hit Ctrl+Space, get all the tags, realise you have a few thousand tags in that list and you just won't be able to find anything, so you want to go back to the section tags only. At the moment, all you can do is to click on another field, then click back on the tags field, and then hit Ctrl+Space again. Clunky.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:editor.tagsuggestions.autodisplay

I can remove this from my cintanotes.settings file now, yes? As the feature and its associated setting no longer exists I mean.

Chris
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:55 am

date wrote:
CintaNotes Developer wrote:
[*]Notebook encryption: add "Lock when PC is locked" option[/list]

Ok, but it doesn't work?

One of the other users has reported this as working in the 3.1 final thread, so Alex must have fixed it in the final.

Chris
date

Postby date » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:19 pm

usbpoweredfridge wrote:
CintaNotes Developer wrote:So after clipping, if you assign section first, then you'll receive the needed tag suggestions.

Hm, even with 3.1 final, this does not work like you describe. It always shows the tags from the section you were in when you clipped the note, regardless of what you change the section to after the editor opens.

When I change the section (in the edit window), I'm getting suggestions for both the current and the chosen section. (As intended.)

usbpoweredfridge wrote:As an aside, with the feature enabled, there appears to be no way to go back to the section only tags though after you hit Ctrl+Space for the second time. That could be useful - hit Ctrl+Space, don't see the tag you want. Hit Ctrl+Space, get all the tags, realise you have a few thousand tags in that list and you just won't be able to find anything, so you want to go back to the section tags only. At the moment, all you can do is to click on another field, then click back on the tags field, and then hit Ctrl+Space again. Clunky.

Press Esc, to close the dropdown-box, and press Ctrl-space, again. Also arrow-right, ctrl-arrow-right or backspace might work. Hope this helps.
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:21 am

date wrote:When I change the section (in the edit window), I'm getting suggestions for both the current and the chosen section. (As intended.)

Interesting - it does not work at all here, I only get tags for the section I have open. If the way you describe is the way it is meant to actually work however, ugh - that's even worse than before. That adds an extra layer of confusion, having tags from two sections shown I think. I will just leave it disabled, it's easier for everyone. We don't have to worry about why my CN is working differently, and everyone else can just leave the new feature enabled (though I personally don't like it, others seem to find it useful). As long as the option to disable it is not removed from CN - so we no longer have a choice - I will be happy with just having all tags shown.

date wrote:Press Esc, to close the dropdown-box, and press Ctrl-space, again. Also arrow-right, ctrl-arrow-right or backspace might work. Hope this helps.

It does, yes. Esc to close, and then Ctrl+Space again is reasonable I think.

Regards,

Chris
date

Postby date » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:07 pm

usbpoweredfridge wrote:
date wrote:When I change the section (in the edit window), I'm getting suggestions for both the current and the chosen section. (As intended.)

Interesting - it does not work at all here, I only get tags for the section I have open. If the way you describe is the way it is meant to actually work however, ugh - that's even worse than before. That adds an extra layer of confusion, having tags from two sections shown I think.
I changed my settings to open the edit window after clipping, but it really should work. The section you have opened, is probably the 'inbox' section. Left from the 'Ok' button is the Section-box, when I change the section there, tags from both the 'inbox' and the chosen section are shown at first.
But even if another section than the inbox one is intended, and you want to assign tags immediately after clipping, you can start off doing so and change the section later, because all tags show on Ctrl-space x 2, or will show eventually when there are no more matches in the current section. That way it 'should' not interfere with how you usually do things.
I usually tag notes later, and when I tag them, I tag them carefully, so once they leave 'Untagged', I'm sure I'll be able to find the note under all tags where it/they should be. Also, most of the time I don't type anything, just press Ctrl-space and select the tags from the list. In this case, having only tags shown from the current section makes things more neat and orderly, and time-saving. And in other cases, because of how it is designed, it 'should' not interfere with how it was before. (But make things less confusing.)
Of course, for when you don't think this is beneficial in your way of doing things, it's a good thing it's merely an 'option.'
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:08 pm

usbpoweredfridge wrote:Hm, even with 3.1 final, this does not work like you describe. It always shows the tags from the section you were in when you clipped the note, regardless of what you change the section to after the editor opens.

That's strange, cause it is working for me. Could you maybe come up with a sample notebook and reproduction instructions?

If the problem I mentioned just above is fixed, I will try it out - for the moment, I've turned it off because it breaks my workflow I'm afraid (as CN shows me the tags for the wrong section).

As I understand it, suggestions from the wrong section happen only directly after clipping? What are inbox section settings? Do you have "Switch to inbox section" option active?

As an aside, with the feature enabled, there appears to be no way to go back to the section only tags though after you hit Ctrl+Space for the second time. That could be useful - hit Ctrl+Space, don't see the tag you want. Hit Ctrl+Space, get all the tags, realise you have a few thousand tags in that list and you just won't be able to find anything, so you want to go back to the section tags only. At the moment, all you can do is to click on another field, then click back on the tags field, and then hit Ctrl+Space again. Clunky.

As others have already told, Esc or Space can be used for this.

I can remove this from my cintanotes.settings file now, yes? As the feature and its associated setting no longer exists I mean.

Yes, you can. It's not used anymore.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:10 pm

Interesting - it does not work at all here, I only get tags for the section I have open. If the way you describe is the way it is meant to actually work however, ugh - that's even worse than before. That adds an extra layer of confusion, having tags from two sections shown I think. I will just leave it disabled, it's easier for everyone. We don't have to worry about why my CN is working differently, and everyone else can just leave the new feature enabled (though I personally don't like it, others seem to find it useful). As long as the option to disable it is not removed from CN - so we no longer have a choice - I will be happy with just having all tags shown.

The optionality will definitely stay.
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:59 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:That's strange, cause it is working for me. Could you maybe come up with a sample notebook and reproduction instructions?

Sure, I will try.

CintaNotes Developer wrote:As I understand it, suggestions from the wrong section happen only directly after clipping? What are inbox section settings? Do you have "Switch to inbox section" option active?

Correct, that is what I believe I am seeing. I clip, CN creates the note, I change the section name in the section dropdown, and yet, the tags that are then shown are the same ones as were in the section I was in when I clipped. I have no section set as an inbox, and switch to inbox is disabled. So in example form:
-CN with two sections, A and B, each with their own tags
-Open CN, it opens to section A
-Clip a note, CN opens the editor with the text (would also behave the same way if I just went Edit->New Note, I don't believe clipping is the actual problem)
-By default, this would be created in section A, I want it in B
-I change the section dropdown to B, click the tags field
-Tags shown are the tags from section A, rather than B

CintaNotes Developer wrote:The optionality will definitely stay.

Great, glad to hear it.

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:38 am

Correct, that is what I believe I am seeing. I clip, CN creates the note, I change the section name in the section dropdown, and yet, the tags that are then shown are the same ones as were in the section I was in when I clipped. I have no section set as an inbox, and switch to inbox is disabled. So in example form:
-CN with two sections, A and B, each with their own tags
-Open CN, it opens to section A
-Clip a note, CN opens the editor with the text (would also behave the same way if I just went Edit->New Note, I don't believe clipping is the actual problem)
-By default, this would be created in section A, I want it in B
-I change the section dropdown to B, click the tags field

Thanks for the extra info. I'll recheck.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:13 am

usbpoweredfridge wrote:-I change the section dropdown to B, click the tags field

Chris, I tried several times, but couldn't reproduce the issue. I get tags from both sections shown.
Here's what I did:

1) Create new notebook
2) Rename section Main to "A"
3) Add a note to A with title "a" and tags a1, a2
4) Add new section "B"
5) Add a note to section B with title "b" and tags b1, b2
6) Leave section B active and clip some text
7) Editor pops up, focus is in Tags field, section switcher is set to B
8) With the mouse, change section to A
9) Click inside Tags field and Press Ctrl+Space
=> a1, a2, b1, b2 are shown.

Please let me know if you get different results here.
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:52 am

Hi Alex,

I did try to reproduce with a new notebook, and I couldn't. With a new notebook, I saw what date described above. That is, CN shows tags from two sections, the current one and the newly selected one. I think that is confusing personally, but apparently working as intended. Anyway, back to the problem - possibly, my main notebook has the some of the same tags in different sections and maybe this was why I thought I was seeing what I was seeing with it. That's the only explanation I can think of.

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:20 am

usbpoweredfridge wrote:Hi Alex,

I did try to reproduce with a new notebook, and I couldn't. With a new notebook, I saw what date described above. That is, CN shows tags from two sections, the current one and the newly selected one. I think that is confusing personally, but apparently working as intended. Anyway, back to the problem - possibly, my main notebook has the some of the same tags in different sections and maybe this was why I thought I was seeing what I was seeing with it. That's the only explanation I can think of.

Chris

Ok Chris, thanks for this info. Do you think that using only the edited note's section as context for tags, and not adding the current section selection, would be more appriopriate?
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:00 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Ok Chris, thanks for this info. Do you think that using only the edited note's section as context for tags, and not adding the current section selection, would be more appriopriate?

Yes, to me - not sure what other user's think - the most logical behaviour for the tags field would be to show the tags for the section selected in the 'sections' dropdown at the bottom of the editor. In practice that would mean that if CN is open in section A when you clip the text (or Ctrl+N), then only tags from section A will be shown. However, if you select section B from the dropdown, then the tags field will only show the tags from section B (and so on and so forth).

I don't see the logic in showing tags from two sections at the same time I'm afraid - and when you have the choice of showing tags from the currently open section, or the section that you actually intend to put the note into (shown by the section dropdown), then I would go with the intended section. Not that I use an inbox, but if I did, that would especially make sense - as an inbox would not be expected to have any tags at all in it, making the new feature meaningless.

Chris
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:43 am

usbpoweredfridge wrote:Yes, to me - not sure what other user's think - the most logical behaviour for the tags field would be to show the tags for the section selected in the 'sections' dropdown at the bottom of the editor. In practice that would mean that if CN is open in section A when you clip the text (or Ctrl+N), then only tags from section A will be shown. However, if you select section B from the dropdown, then the tags field will only show the tags from section B (and so on and so forth).

I tend to agree. This just makes more sense. Probably I'll include it into 3.1.1 release as well.
Thanks for your opinion!
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”