Search inside notes

robert.l.spaulding

Search inside notes

Postby robert.l.spaulding » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:38 am

Hello,
Looks good so far, I've got several notes 3000+ lines of data, I would like to be able to search the entire contents of the note...and have results displayed or highlighted. Currently if the search criteria is contained in a note the note remains in the list, but then it has to be opened and scrolled to find the search term.
Thanks
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4699
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Feature

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:42 pm

Hello and thank you for your suggestion!
Search inside notes has already been requested and is on the roadmap.
But I still haven't got a grip on how exactly to implement it, maybe you have some idea?
I just don't want to do the standard IE-like "Find" dialog box with "Find Next" and "Find Prev" buttons.

I also address this question to all other CN users, help us to find the most elegant solution please!

Regards,
Alex
Midas

Re: Feature

Postby Midas » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:06 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Hello and thank you for your suggestion!
Search inside notes has already been requested and is on the roadmap.
But I still haven't got a grip on how exactly to implement it, maybe you have some idea?
I just don't want to do the standard IE-like "Find" dialog box with "Find Next" and "Find Prev" buttons.
I also address this question to all other CN users, help us to find the most elegant solution please!
Regards,

This is the legit answer...

My hurried take on this matter is that you should produce a (new/main?) dialog with the relevant note header and the line(s) where the searched strings where found (as many occurrences/notes as necessary should be listed, with scroll bars if needed); upon clicking on an individual occurrence, the note viewing/editing dialog would open for the relevant note, with the strings highlighted...

Hope it helps. :|
Guest

Re: Search inside notes

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:59 pm

robert.l.spaulding wrote:Hello,
Looks good so far, I've got several notes 3000+ lines of data, I would like to be able to search the entire contents of the note...and have results displayed or highlighted. Currently if the search criteria is contained in a note the note remains in the list, but then it has to be opened and scrolled to find the search term.
Thanks


To: Programmer: In your response to Robert, this really should not be a matter of elegance - ctrl-f and F3 are common to all users - right now cannot do that in the edit function.

Please reconsider and let elegance come later.
User avatar
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin
Posts: 4699
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Search inside notes

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:44 am

Guest wrote:To: Programmer: In your response to Robert, this really should not be a matter of elegance - ctrl-f and F3 are common to all users - right now cannot do that in the edit function.
Please reconsider and let elegance come later.

Sorry if my response sounded like I was not considering implementing this until a perfectly elegant solution is found.;)
I understand very well why this feature is important, so you can be sure it will find its way into the application.
Thanks for your input and hope you'll enjoy using the program!
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”