[Ann] CintaNotes 3.1.2 Beta 2

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

[Ann] CintaNotes 3.1.2 Beta 2

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:43 am

Hi all,

we wanted to already release 3.1.2 final, but suddenly discovered that our code signing certificate is not trusted by Microsoft anymore, because it uses SHA1, and needs to be updated to support SHA256. Since we bought the certificate from Comodo, the replacement of the certificate will last quite awhile. Still, we decided to put this time to good use and to release another beta so that you can already take advantage of the latest improvements and fixes.

It should be pretty stable, this is why I won't even write the usual disclaimer about using beta software ;)

Would be grateful for your feedback!
As usual, in green I've marked changes from Beta 1.

Feb 11, 2016 - Version 3.1.2 Beta2

In this version:

Enhancements:
  • Focus top note during the search
  • Simplenote sync: don't run sync on startup if last sync was recent enough
  • Editor: improve Esc key handling Esc now cancels by default.
    Old behavior still available via the new "Options/Editor/Auto Save Changes on Esc" option. (Also re-phrased the question)

Fixes:
  • Export and Print: Field lists need to hide the "&" sign
  • Editor: wrong double-click word selection behavior
  • Incorrect error message when trying to open a corrupted notebook
  • Controls were being cut off at 120 DPI
  • Error when creating a notebook while an attachment is opened for editing
  • Possible PasswordEnterCancelledException on OS restart
  • Duplicate parent tag can be created when creating child tag directly from editor
  • Search in attachments for "-." was not working
  • Export, Print: increased height of field lists to eliminate need to scroll

Download:
Installable: CintaNotes_3_1_2_Beta2_Setup.exe
Portable: CintaNotes_3_1_2_Beta2.zip
Alex
usbpoweredfridge

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 3.1.2 Beta 2

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:04 am

CintaNotes Developer wrote:[*]Editor: improve Esc key handling Esc now cancels by default.
Old behavior still available via the new "Options/Editor/Auto Save Changes on Esc" option. (Also re-phrased the question)

I think this works pretty well now. Yes to save your note before CN closes it, no to discard the note before CN closes it. The 'x' to close the dialog without doing anything - ie it doesn't do yes or no - seems a bit odd to me, but I can live with it. The only thing I would change is the title of the pop-up. At the moment it says 'Confirm saving changes' - I think it would be more correct to say 'Confirm discarding changes'. But again, I can live with this if it stays as is.

Chris
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:42 am

Hi Chris,

usbpoweredfridge wrote:The 'x' to close the dialog without doing anything - ie it doesn't do yes or no - seems a bit odd to me

It does cancel the dialog, thus returning to the editor, which i think is good behaviour. Please note, that ESC will behave as clicking [X] as well.

usbpoweredfridge wrote:At the moment it says 'Confirm saving changes' - I think it would be more correct to say 'Confirm discarding changes'

I disagree. The dialog title is correct.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:48 am

Hi Alex,

[*]we wanted to already release 3.1.2 final(...)

May i ask to provide the following changes to the final that we had discussed already, please?

Ctrl + BkSp
Ctrl + Del
Select All (Ctrl + A or mouse selection) + BkSp
Select All (Ctrl + A or mouse selection) + Del

[*]Old behavior still available via the new "Options/Editor/Auto Save Changes on Esc" option. (Also re-phrased the question)

The changes are fine with me. The dialog and the settings are good.

[*]Export, Print: increased height of field lists to eliminate need to scroll

Thanks. Looking much better.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:36 am

Chris, Thomas, thanks for taking a look!

Thomas, sure will fix that, sorry forgotten to do it in this beta..
Alex
date

Postby date » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:52 pm

Usually the X does the same as the rightmost button, which is to cancel. So either No should return to the edit window, or there should be a separate Cancel button. But the way as it is now could maybe work as well, people will figure out soon enough.

I think 'Auto-Save' or 'Autosave' looks better than 'Auto Save.' Just a tiny little aesthetic detail... I could be mistaken though

usbpoweredfridge wrote:At the moment it says 'Confirm saving changes' - I think it would be more correct to say 'Confirm discarding changes'

It is a matter of figuring out what the likely intent of the user will be when pressing Esc, does Esc mean to close or to cancel? For me it would be logical to use Esc as a means to close the window, and the saving part is what is undecided, so that is what the dialog should ask for. If people intend to cancel with Esc, asking to confirm discarding makes more sense. Different intentions on pressing Esc - this is where the confusion stems from.
usbpoweredfridge

Postby usbpoweredfridge » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:51 am

date wrote:It is a matter of figuring out what the likely intent of the user will be when pressing Esc, does Esc mean to close or to cancel? For me it would be logical to use Esc as a means to close the window, and the saving part is what is undecided, so that is what the dialog should ask for. If people intend to cancel with Esc, asking to confirm discarding makes more sense. Different intentions on pressing Esc - this is where the confusion stems from.

Good point, I think that explains it pretty well (my intent is to cancel, which is why I think it should say discard instead of save).

Chris
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:16 am

The discussion brings me back to my original suggestion of yes, no, cancel. I take another example - MS Word: It uses Save, do not save, cancel.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:19 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Ctrl + BkSp
Ctrl + Del
Select All (Ctrl + A or mouse selection) + BkSp
Select All (Ctrl + A or mouse selection) + Del

To make my point clearer. Select All can be achieved by various circumstances. For example when you TAB/TAB from the search box to the notes list and back. In the end, it is about the search text being selected and you press either Backspace or Del, the focus should scroll to Top. This is just a different approach to clearing the search as compared to Ctrl+Backspace or Ctrl+Del.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:22 am

It seems that there are as many opinions on the "Confirm saving changes" dialog matter as there are people ;)
Thanks to all of you.
For now, I want to avoid overloading this very simple message box with 3rd button and suggest to leave it as it is.
I find it good that in case of emergency you still can cancel and return back to editing, even at the cost of a minor inconsistency.
I don't think it should cause big problems, but if people will start complaining, we can always add the 3rd button later.
Alex

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”