Setting and Locking Note Order

CharlesM

Setting and Locking Note Order

Postby CharlesM » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:50 pm

Is there a way to do what I am trying to do with note ordering in CintaNotes? Suppose I set the note-taking order to Created, so each new note appears at the bottom of my list (reverse order). And suppose I work through Chapter 1 taking notes, but then I mistakenly jump to Chapter 3. Now I see that I need to capture some notes from Chapter 2, and I do that. Now the order of my notes list is Chapt 1, Chapt 3, Chapt 2. So I want to correct the order before moving on to Chapt 4. (Because when I read through my notes later I want to read them in the order of the Chapters in the document.)

The only way I found to do that was to change the note order setting to Manual. So I was able to move my three Chapt 2 notes up in the list where they should be, and then I switched the setting back to Created; because I want all my future notes to enter the list in the order they are created. Suddenly my notes list reordered and I was left with my Chapt 2 notes at the bottom again.

It seems to me what is needed here is (1) a switch to Manual mode, (2) rearrange the notes the way I want them, (3) a button I can click that says "Set Note Order to Current List Order" so that the internal code for each note in the database is processed and overwritten to capture the current list order, and (3) a switch back to Created mode for additional note taking.

Is there a way to do this in CintaNotes? Would this be a good feature to add?
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Re: Setting and Locking Note Order

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:21 pm

Hi Charles,

Yes this is an interesting problem. I'd suggest just using the Manual sort order all the way through. Last added notes appear on the top (or bottom) exactly like in Created sort order, but you also have the ability to move notes around.

If all else fails, the most reliable way to make sort order "stick" no matter what is to use sorting by Title.
Alex
gunars

Postby gunars » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:40 am

Consider also adding a tag to each note with the chapter: Chapt-01, Chapt-02, etc. and sorting by creation time. You can then use the tag to pull up a specific chapter and all the notes for that chapter will be in order (assuming you're sequentially taking notes as you read each chapter).
CharlesM

Postby CharlesM » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:49 pm

These are helpful suggestions. Thank you!

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”