[Ann] CintaNotes 3.3 Beta 1

CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

[Ann] CintaNotes 3.3 Beta 1

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:06 pm

Hi guys,

Here's a new beta for you to check out! I know it comes soon after Rules, but some features were developed in parallel, like
drag and dropping of tags and notes. Please let me know what you think!

Aug 29, 2016 - Version 3.3 Beta1

In this version:

Features:
  • Drag-and-drop tags onto notes
  • Drag-and-drop notes onto sections
Enhancements:
  • Rules: update deafult rule name in real-time during editing
  • Rules: add F8 shortcut to call up Rules list
Fixes:
  • Message dialogs: "Don't ask again" didn't work when selecting "No"
  • HTML export: bullets not indented properly
  • Rules: sometimes condition and action values were replaced by section names
  • Rules editor: incorrect TAB order
  • Rules: rule actions upon save weren't always reflected in the note editor
  • Rules: switching db should be prohibited when rule editor is displayed
  • Rules: "have parents of" condition for tags produced SQLite error when specified tag doesn't have parents

Download:
Installable: CintaNotes_3_3_Beta1_Setup.exe
Portable: CintaNotes_3_3_Beta1.zip

WARNING! BETA SOFTWARE! USE AT OWN RISK AND ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR DATA FIRST!
Alex
date

Re: [Ann] CintaNotes 3.3 Beta 1

Postby date » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:04 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote: [*]Drag-and-drop tags onto notes

- The tags, when grabbed are barely visible (to me.) Also, no indication onto which note they will be dropped... suppose you're on the border of two notes? Or forget that you were in the process of dragging and accidentally release the mouse key.
Also suppose you're sorting on the changed date, the scrollbar is in the middle and the note you're dropping the tag onto doesn't have focus. After dropping the tag on the wrong note, is't not easy to undo: scroll to top, select the top note (meaning losing the focus on the previous note,) remove the tag, and then find the note you wanted to drop the tag onto again.
- The scrolling down while dragging is somewhat CPU-intensive, especially on a long list. But sometimes is goes immediately, despite a long list.
- When pressing Esc, it should cancel the dragging first, and not execute the default action for Esc depending on your settings.

[*]Drag-and-drop notes onto sections

This is really nicely done!! I like it very much.
I can see that the Section name is highlighted too, but this is only visible when grabbing the note at the top or bottom, and hovering it halfway over the Section name.
However, I think the opaqueness for the note is just about right. So, perhaps make Sectionname penetrate the rectangle more boldly or even completely? Or neglect this because there already is a tool-tip that is quite helpful.

Imagine being able to drag this note onto another application, such as notepad or your email. That would be even nicer :)
Like the middle mouse button, but easier because you can't mess up the Alt-Tab order.

Also for this, the same point about pressing Esc.

[*]Rules: update deafult rule name in real-time during editing

Somewhat CPU intensive.

[*]Rules: "have parents of" condition for tags produced SQLite error when specified tag doesn't have parents[/list]

Works now, after I figured out I had to enter the whole tagname. Not 'subtag' but 'tag/tag/subtag.' ;)
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:06 am

Date, thanks a lot for taking a look at the beta! Greatly appreciated!

date wrote:- The tags, when grabbed are barely visible (to me.) Also, no indication onto which note they will be dropped... suppose you're on the border of two notes? Or forget that you were in the process of dragging and accidentally release the mouse key.

I'll make the draggable tag more visible. And we'll try to highlight the note which the tag will be assigned to. The last bit maybe in the next version though.

- The scrolling down while dragging is somewhat CPU-intensive, especially on a long list. But sometimes is goes immediately, despite a long list.

How do you measure CPU-intensiveness? How many notes does your DB have (is that that huge DB with 100,000 notes)?

- When pressing Esc, it should cancel the dragging first, and not execute the default action for Esc depending on your settings.

For me, it's not that the Esc key is registered, it's actually that the mouse up action is registered! We'll fix this.

This is really nicely done!! I like it very much.

Glad you like it, thanks! ;)

However, I think the opaqueness for the note is just about right. So, perhaps make Sectionname penetrate the rectangle more boldly or even completely?

Yes, I agree, I'll tweak it to make more prominent.

Imagine being able to drag this note onto another application, such as notepad or your email. That would be even nicer :)

Yes, we plan this for some future versions.

[*]Rules: update deafult rule name in real-time during editing
Somewhat CPU intensive.

How come? This is solely about the rule edit dialog: when you edit actions, rule name updates. I never managed to get more than 1% CPU utilization here.

Works now, after I figured out I had to enter the whole tagname. Not 'subtag' but 'tag/tag/subtag.' ;)

Yes, that's a bit of a tricky part. Basically the "has parents of a/b/c" is simply a convenience over "has tag a or a/b"
Alex
date

Postby date » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:33 pm

How do you measure CPU-intensiveness? How many notes does your DB have (is that that huge DB with 100,000 notes)?

Around 12.000. But scrolling using arrow keys or wheel is not a problem at all. Is scrolling while dragging that much different? It appears most of the time the slight lag is only the first time (one time for up and one time for down.)
Btw I do not 'measure,' only noticed a lag and confirmed with windows' taskman that it is CN that is spiking.
The very large .db was something I quickly made to demonstrate something.

Rules: update deafult rule name in real-time during editing
Somewhat CPU intensive.

How come? This is solely about the rule edit dialog: when you edit actions, rule name updates. I never managed to get more than 1% CPU utilization here.

I was mistaken. The reason was tag autocompletion for a large number of tags.

Yes, that's a bit of a tricky part. Basically the "has parents of a/b/c" is simply a convenience over "has tag a or a/b"

So, there is the possibility to define a rule for tag/* but not */tag? But I already worked out something I wanted in another way, at least the error is fixed.

There is a new thing in this beta:
Switch database multiple times --> no problem.
Open and close rules dialog, THEN switch database --> CN crashes with errors like:

Code: Select all

SE EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION at address 0x00201037 inside C:\CN\Cintanotes.exe loaded at base address 0x00000000 Invalid operation: write at address 0xb10f880
SE EXCEPTION_SINGLS_STEP at address 0x0012F036 inside C:\CN\Cintanotes.exe loaded at base address 0x00000000
SE EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION at address 0x00632011 inside C:\CN\Cintanotes.exe loaded at base address 0x00400000 Invalid operation: read at address 0x38
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:35 pm

Dragging notes onto sections - very nice :)

Remark: I tried to drag a note outside the main window and thought, this could be handy to delete notes.

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:37 pm

Rules Editor

The text "[Wenn] condition holds:" does not translate to german.

The tab order is now correct.

However, the initial focus is unclear. Is it assigned to a panel? I think this is a bug, as i need to press Tab or an arrow to activate a control.

Thomas
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:11 am

date wrote:Around 12.000. But scrolling using arrow keys or wheel is not a problem at all. Is scrolling while dragging that much different? It appears most of the time the slight lag is only the first time (one time for up and one time for down.)
Btw I do not 'measure,' only noticed a lag and confirmed with windows' taskman that it is CN that is spiking.
The very large .db was something I quickly made to demonstrate something.

Ok thanks for the info. I'll investigate what's causing high load.

Ah, ok. Is this still something I should be concerned about?

So, there is the possibility to define a rule for tag/* but not */tag? But I already worked out something I wanted in another way, at least the error is fixed.

Basically, yes, at the moment it is so.

There is a new thing in this beta:
Switch database multiple times --> no problem.
Open and close rules dialog, THEN switch database --> CN crashes with errors like:

Thanks, will fix this in the final version.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:17 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:Remark: I tried to drag a note outside the main window and thought, this could be handy to delete notes.

This could conflict with planned ability to drag notes to other applications. A better solution IMO would be a dynamically (after start dragging appearing recycle bin icon that you can drag notes onto.
Alex
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:19 am

Thomas Lohrum wrote:The text "[Wenn] condition holds:" does not translate to german.

Will fix it, thanks.

The tab order is now correct.

Great!

However, the initial focus is unclear. Is it assigned to a panel? I think this is a bug, as i need to press Tab or an arrow to activate a control.

I think the most sane thing to do is to focus the first element of first condition, if there is one.
Alex
date

Postby date » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:09 am

Ah, ok. Is this still something I should be concerned about?
No.
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:48 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Thomas Lohrum wrote:Remark: I tried to drag a note outside the main window and thought, this could be handy to delete notes.
This could conflict with planned ability to drag notes to other applications. A better solution IMO would be a dynamically (after start dragging appearing recycle bin icon that you can drag notes onto.

Very nice. Excellent suggestion! I don't know of any other application, that does so. :)

Thomas
Thomas Lohrum

Postby Thomas Lohrum » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:50 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:
Thomas Lohrum wrote:However, the initial focus is unclear. Is it assigned to a panel? I think this is a bug, as i need to press Tab or an arrow to activate a control.
I think the most sane thing to do is to focus the first element of first condition, if there is one.

I confirm this is fixed with 3.3 final. :)

Thomas
date

Postby date » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:24 am

Is it normal that a single press on left-alt locks the (wheel-)scrolling, and a second press unlocks it again?

Also, when I select a tag, and press right-alt (AltGr?) on another tag, I get SQLite error 1: expression tree is too large. The Right-Alt behavior is completely different too, while Left-Alt works as expected.

Haven't had time to try this on the final version.
CintaNotes Developer
Site Admin

Postby CintaNotes Developer » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:55 pm

date wrote:Is it normal that a single press on left-alt locks the (wheel-)scrolling, and a second press unlocks it again?

Probably this is by (Windows) design. Note that single Alt activates the menu bar.
(If you want your scroll wheel to always work, I suggest installing WizMouse - great program!)

Also, when I select a tag, and press right-alt (AltGr?) on another tag, I get SQLite error 1: expression tree is too large. The Right-Alt behavior is completely different too, while Left-Alt works as expected.

Yes, this issue has already been reported some time ago. Probably the same happens when you Ctrl+Alt+Click on a tag?
Alex
date

Postby date » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:59 pm

CintaNotes Developer wrote:Note that single Alt activates the menu bar.
Of course :-S
Yes, this issue has already been reported some time ago. Probably the same happens when you Ctrl+Alt+Click on a tag?
Yes. Apparently according to wikipedia the right Alt key is not just another Alt-key like the left one and sometimes equivalent to Ctrl-Alt...

Return to “CintaNotes Personal Notes Manager”